AVR + Speaker -- Suggestion Required

sanjub22

Hi Friends ,

Back again with a new requirement. I already have a PV8 and PS3 in my stable, thanks to each one of you for this wonderful VFM advice.
Now its time for the rests and I need your help again .

What I want a simple but robust system which should be a VFM product ( like PV8 :) ) . I am not an audiophile at all and dont know anything about Dolby,DTH, Ture HD etc apart from their names . This system will maninly be used for 90% movie. I need clear pictures , lots of colors and good sound.
For the time being my budget is 70k ( AVR + 2 floor standing + 1 center or AVR + 2 floor standing + 1 sub whichever you suggest ) and 10k for the dvd player. The budget is fixed for the time being. Later I will add surround speakers. 5.1 is my preference as I dont have enough free space for 7.1.
I am also open for any suitable HTiB if you guys have asked me to go for that.

BTW , I can spend maximum 10% extra for cables if required though not a spontanious choice .

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Yamaha RX-V663 (group purchase from Bangalore costing around 38K if I remember correctly). 5.1 speaker package Q-Acoustics 1010i. I've set it up for a friend and it absolutely rocks for movies and quite good for music too, just not pure audiophile CD/LP etc. quality. But music is good and should serve your purpose more than adequately.

Yamaha RX-V663 (group purchase from Bangalore costing around 38K if I remember correctly). 5.1 speaker package Q-Acoustics 1010i. I've set it up for a friend and it absolutely rocks for movies and quite good for music too, just not pure audiophile CD/LP etc. quality. But music is good and should serve your purpose more than adequately.

Thanks for your reply moserw , but I dont have any option of group purchase here at Calcutta and 663 is quoted around 47/48k on an average as Yamaha has increased price of each product. I will definitely will look for Q Acoustics.

there is another thread going on where someone in blore is giving at good prices. Maybe someone in blore can ask the dealer to get in touch with you (I think phone number is also provided in the thread.
663 is being offered at 37k - http://www.hifivision.com/surround-...aha-receivers-best-price-xcite-bangalore.html

Yeah, I also have seen that but the price is so less that I am not very inclined towards that because I dont want to be in trouble for some bucks and being at Calcutta I dont want to purchase thing from Bangalore, the price difference will be consumed by my journey , isnt it ?

Anyway, I am expecting some alternative solutions from you especially on speakers. I want to start with 2 Floor Standers + 1 Sub or 2 Floor Standers + 1 Center whatever you will suggest.My budget for speaker is 30k.

I am also interested on 663 but at the same time considering 463 also . Can you kindly tell me if the difference between these two models are very distinct at least not like Full HD or HD Ready where ordinary people like me couldnt figure out any difference. Please guys , suggest something. I am only counting on you .

Last edited:
I am also interested on 663 but at the same time considering 463 also . Can you kindly tell me if the difference between these two models are very distinct at least not like Full HD or HD Ready where ordinary people like me couldnt figure out any difference. Please guys , suggest something. I am only counting on you .

The 463 is a very basic amplifier, though it has more power per channel as compared to the 663. For one it is only a 5.1 AVR. In addition, it does not support the following features the 663 supports.

• DTS NEO: 6 (New)
  • Dolby Digital Plus
  • Dolby Digital EX
  • DTS HD Master Audio
  • Dolby TRUE HD
  • Digital ToP-ART
  • 8 Ch Ext Input
  • Pure Direct
  • HDMI Up Conversion
  • Component Video Up Conversion
  • S-Video Up Conversion
  • PreOuts
  • Zone 2

I think these are significant shortcomings if you are looking at an AVR seriously.

Cheers

Last edited:
Check rating of 463 carefully
RMS Output Power (1kHz) 105W x 5
Whether on 663
RMS Output Power (20Hz - 20kHz) 95W x 7

As per Yamahas policy of blowing the specs
I am certain 463 's power far lesser than 663

Any expert comments??

you may not need to travel to blore if you get it shipped to calcutta. If you need to be further assured, some trusted non-dealer type of forum member can buy it for you and get it shipped to you.

regards

Yeah, I also have seen that but the price is so less that I am not very inclined towards that because I dont want to be in trouble for some bucks and being at Calcutta I dont want to purchase thing from Bangalore, the price difference will be consumed by my journey , isnt it ?

Anyway, I am expecting some alternative solutions from you especially on speakers. I want to start with 2 Floor Standards + 1 Sub or 2 Floor Standards + 1 Center whatever you will suggest.My budget for speaker is 30k.

Any of you traveling to mumbai , i can get hold of box pack yams at quite reasonalble prices ( off the grey market though)

if anyone is seriously interested please post

The 463 is a very basic amplifier, though it has more power per channel as compared to the 663. For one it is only a 5.1 AVR. In addition, it does not support the following features the 663 supports.

• DTS NEO: 6 (New)
  • Dolby Digital Plus
  • Dolby Digital EX
  • DTS HD Master Audio
  • Dolby TRUE HD
  • Digital ToP-ART
  • 8 Ch Ext Input
  • Pure Direct
  • HDMI Up Conversion
  • Component Video Up Conversion
  • S-Video Up Conversion
  • PreOuts
  • Zone 2

I think these are significant shortcomings if you are looking at an AVR seriously.

Cheers

Thanks a lot Venkat , this will certainly help. Now pleae suggest me something on speakers. I want to start with a pair of Floor Standers + 1 Center ( or 1 Sub whatever u suggest) , later on I will add two surround and one Sub ( or center ) . 30k is my budget for these initial three.

Last edited:
you may not need to travel to blore if you get it shipped to calcutta. If you need to be further assured, some trusted non-dealer type of forum member can buy it for you and get it shipped to you.

regards

Thanks Anm. Not a bad idea. I will definitely explore the posibility .

Hi Sanju,

For 30k you will not get a good pair of floorstanders and a Center/Sub. You can however get a good pair of Wharfedale 9.5s/Jamo C405/Mission M33i/34i?.

Suggest that you add the sub next and center plus surrounds as a sequential update.

cheers,

I think you should also consider the Energy Take Classic or the Mirage Nanosat 5.1 with Marantz amp. Check out at a store found it out to be good.

Hi Friends ,

Back again with a new requirement. I already have a PV8 and PS3 in my stable, thanks to each one of you for this wonderful VFM advice.
Now its time for the rests and I need your help again .

What I want a simple but robust system which should be a VFM product ( like PV8 :) ) . I am not an audiophile at all and dont know anything about Dolby,DTH, Ture HD etc apart from their names . This system will maninly be used for 90% movie. I need clear pictures , lots of colors and good sound.
For the time being my budget is 70k ( AVR + 2 floor standing + 1 center or AVR + 2 floor standing + 1 sub whichever you suggest ) and 10k for the dvd player. The budget is fixed for the time being. Later I will add surround speakers. 5.1 is my preference as I dont have enough free space for 7.1.
I am also open for any suitable HTiB if you guys have asked me to go for that.

BTW , I can spend maximum 10% extra for cables if required though not a spontanious choice .

Thanks in advance.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back