• Hello and Welcome to HiFiVision.com - an online community for the home entertainment and tech enthusiasts!

    If you would like to ask a question, participate in a discussion and view attachments please Register yourself.

AVR with 2.1 speakers for 45k

HiFiMART.com

indy

New Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2017
Messages
13
Points
3
Location
Bangalore
My previous system has gone kaput. I had the Pioneer 322VSX AVR and the RS32 speaker set. The subwoofer and AVR have conked off.

I plan on reusing the center and surround speakers. I plan on using them along with a new AVR and a 2.1 speaker system. What would you guys suggest?

I have a Bravia TV with HDMI ARC. Need to use a single remote to control both TV and speaker system otherwise parents would find it difficult to use.

75% usage will be for watching DTH and the remaining 25% split between watching movies and listening to some FM radio or music from the pen drive.
 

MaSh

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 12, 2012
Messages
3,769
Points
113
Location
Bangalore
Hi,

Thats unfortunate. What lead to their conking off?

Now that you say its for your parents, do you really want them to use a receiver and 5.1 speaker set? Why not get them a nice Active 2.1 setup from Sony, Panasonic, Swans, etc. that would be an improvement over your TV audio, although not as complicated to use multiple systems.

MaSh
 

indy

New Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2017
Messages
13
Points
3
Location
Bangalore
It did last around 4 years. First, the receiver wouldn't switch on. Gave it for repair to the official service center and they told me there was a problem with the board and charged me 5k for it. 3 months later it doesn't switch HDMI inputs and i get a droning sound from the speakers. The subwoofer also stopped working i.e. doesn't switch on.

I'm open to suggestions about going with a 2.1 set up. Any models in particular i should be looking at? Had a look at the home theater options of most of the major electronic brands and they didn't sound even half as good as my pioneer (which itself is widely panned on this forum).

Kind of a dumb question, if i buy a 2.1 set up, what will drive the speakers? The built in sound of the TV?
 

Chaos

Active Member
Joined
Oct 8, 2010
Messages
233
Points
28
Location
Bangalore
Went and auditioned a few speakers:

First up was the Polk Audio TL 1600 home theater paired with the Denox X 540BT. Sounded great. Cost was around 72k though.

Next up was the Taga Harmony 606 V3 paired with the Taga subwoofer. Had high hopes for this after reading a lot of rave reviews on this site. Surprisingly, found it quite harsh especially during action scenes (Deadpool). That was also paired with the Denon. Cost was around 60k.

Auditioned the Jamo S426 paired with a Jamo sub. Sounded the best to me but was way out of my budget at close to 80k with the receiver

Lastly, auditioned the JBL Cinema 610. Sounded great as well. Was tempted to pick this up on the spot but thought i'd audition a few more before finalizing by the end of this week.

Another vendor told me i'd be better off buying a pair of Polk S50 floor standers. He said i'd not even miss the sub for regular usage.

Any other suggestions guys? I've finalized on the Denon X 540BT since most of the vendors i spoke to were against buying a Pioneer AVR because of their iffy after sales (Personally experienced it as well)


What other speakers (under 30k) should i audition. I don't mind if it's a 5.1 or a 2.1 package.
 

dr_rocket

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 28, 2016
Messages
648
Points
63
Location
Kolkata
If 75% dth usage and ease of use is important, why not a soundbar like polk magnifi mini. Will save a lot of money as well.
 

Chaos

Active Member
Joined
Oct 8, 2010
Messages
233
Points
28
Location
Bangalore
If 75% dth usage and ease of use is important, why not a soundbar like polk magnifi mini. Will save a lot of money as well.

The room is quite big. Almost 400 sq feet.

I'll be replying for Indy since he isn't online much.
 

elangoas

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2009
Messages
7,536
Points
113
Location
Madrasapattinam
I plan on reusing the center and surround speakers.

Are you not planning to re-use the fronts too?..

I plan on using them along with a new AVR and a 2.1 speaker system.

If you would be re-using all the 5 satellites, then you will need only a sub..

The room is quite big. Almost 400 sq feet.

Since the room is fairly large, may be you can consider adding dual subs..
 

Chaos

Active Member
Joined
Oct 8, 2010
Messages
233
Points
28
Location
Bangalore
Are you not planning to re-use the fronts too?..



If you would be re-using all the 5 satellites, then you will need only a sub..


Since the room is fairly large, may be you can consider adding dual subs..

He could but was hoping for an upgrade. Since most of the time the fronts are the ones doing the work, he thought he'd upgrade them along with the sub.

Naah, dual subs won't be required.
 
Top