B&W 683 5.1 theatre vs CM9 theatre for 221 sq.ft. bedroom?

Yes Navin, I agree when you say I'm confused. I would add that I have absolutely no knowledge about it as this is my first setup! Previous one was a HTiB from Onkyo HTS 3400. This is why I have to ask here about the cables, cable types, subs, etc. etc. because in the Onkyo case, everything came supplied in the box. But I guess this is why I am here for, to seek your expert opinions, guidance as well as advice. And I can't really tell you that had you guys been not here, I know (the kind of person that I am when it comes to finding time and researching about a product) I would have bought a Bose V35 theatre and be very pleased with myself.;)

Anyhow, moving ahead, firstly, the HDMI's, I have a 2-3 Monster HDMI cables which I got from Best Buy in US (no big deal kinds), 1-2 pcs that came along with Samsung products and might as well have a couple of non-branded ones as well. Do I need to change them while setting up the HT now? Should I buy more expensive Audioquest etc cables? Or I should be good with the ones that I already own? I am not sure if these silver or gold plated connector cables actually make a difference. Looking forward to hear from you as well as other FM's.

Regarding the subwoofer, I checked it out on the REL website and here are the specs:

T-7 Specifications
Type: Passive Radiator, front-?ring passive radiator, down-?ring
active woofer
Active Drive Unit: 8in., 200 mm long-throw, steel chassis
Passive Radiator: 10in., 254 mm
Lower Frequency Response: 30 Hz at -6 dB in room
Input Connectors: Hi Level Neutrik Speakon, Lo Level single phono, LFE phono
Input Impedance: High Level: 150k, Low Level: 10k, .1/LFE: 10k ohms
Gain Control Range: 80 dB
Power Output: 200 Watts (RMS)
Phase Switch: Yes, 0 or 180 degrees
Ampli?er Type: Class AB
Protection System
Fully Electronic SET-SAFE: Yes
D.C. Fault: Yes
Output Short: Yes
Mains Input Voltage: 220-240 volts, 110-120 volts for certain markets
Fuses: 2 Amp semi delay 230 volts operation,
4 Amp semi delay 115 volts operation
Dimensions (WHD), Including Feet: 12 x 13.75 x 13.75 in., (305 x 349.2 x 349.2 mm)
Net Weight: 230V: 31 lbs. (14.1 kg) 115V: 34 lbs. (15.4 kg)

DefTech SuperCube 6000 specs:
Subwoofer
Quantity 1
Diameter 9" (22.86cm)
Type High Excursion Active Subwoofer Driver
Bass Radiator
Quantity 2
Diameter 10" (25.40cm)
Type Planar Low Bass Radiator
Control
Display
Alpha Numeric Display Disappearing
Remote Control
IR Control Performance Optimizer Remote (Included with Subwoofer)
Functionality Volume; Mute; Low Pass Filter; Night Mode; Phase; EQ; Display
Digital Signal Processing
56 bit DSP User Selectable
Digital Crossover
Low Pass Filter 40 - 150 Hz, variable in 5 Hz increments
Low Pass Filter Slope 12 dB per Octave
Digital Phase Control
Phase Settings 0, 90, 180, 270 or 360 degrees
Electrical
Wireless Capability
Wireless Capability Wireless Ready
Audio Inputs
LFE input 1 (RCA)
Speaker Level 2 Pair (Speaker Cable)
Stereo Line Level 2 (RCA)
Total Frequency Response
Overall 14 Hz - 200 Hz
Amplifier
Internal Amplifier
Power 1500 watts
Channels 1
Type Class HD
Protection Circuitry
Primary Multiband Dynamic Range Optimizer (M-DRO)
Secondary Thermal Overload Sensor
Power Cycle
US Auto On/Off: Signal Sensitive (defeatable)
International Auto On/Off: Signal Sensitive (defeatable)

My observation might be wrong but here are my findings on the same:

1. REL T7 has power output of 200W RMS Class AB amp whereas DT has power output of 1500W Class HD amp. (What??)
2. Which is better? Class AB or Class HD?
3. REL goes down till 30Hz at -6 db whereas DT specs state that it does 14-200Hz. Now I was able to look at a lot of reviews of DT model where everybody said the same " DT subs have often over exaggerated specs which are normally not true. But DT also goes as low as 25-30 Hz."
4. DT is wireless ready and I am guessing REL is not. This can be very helpful for me as it's my bedroom and I would appreciate if it looks neat with lesser wire clutter. Not sure about the sub's performance of wirelessly but if it's optimum, I don't mind.
5. DT does have 4 EQ preset options. Not sure about REL.
6. DT has a feature called Night Mode which I am liking after reading about it. Again, not sure about REL. Would my DENON 4520 have a setting like that for night mode?
7. DT comes with a remote whereas REL doesn't.
8. REL looks absolutely hot & beautiful when compared to DT. Aesthetically, I love REL but feature wise DT.
9. I am getting a T7 (MRP 77k) at 68k. For the deftech price, I got 73k as MRP. Will discuss about discount tomorrow. If you are aware about it's right price, please let me know.

Now from my petty little observations, you might notice that all the plus points I have written of DT are minor ones but I do like them. Again, I am total newbie who is dissatisfied with his Onkyo HTS 3400 supplied sub simply because it's passive & small & ineffective, logitech z5500 sub which is active i think but not effective, etc. to my room requirements and looking for great, tight, clean, chest thumping bass without any boominess, distortion, etc.

Hoping to hear from you guys soon. Thanks in advance.:)

Eddie you are very confused. I would hesitate to buy anything if I had the same degree of confusion you have. Since you have already bought (or decided to buy) the B&W CM9 speaker system and Denon AVR, I can only say that you are a BRAVER man than me.;)

All cables that go between components and the AVR will either be HDMI or in a rare case RCA (long story on how these names were arrived at but i dont want to digress, it will only confuse you further).

RCA cables are used when the subwoofer and an internal amp (sometimes called a plate amplifier) and today most subs do. RCA cables are also used when the speakers are active like Genelec. Your B&W speakers are passive. Both are good so dont worry about this part.

For passive speakers you need "loudspeaker cable".

As far as the Sub is concerned I would get a front subwoofer like the REL T7 and later supplement it with a smaller subwoofer (if you feel the need) like the sc6000. Both subwoofers do not need to be identical since your 4520 has the ability to EQ and delay each sub seperately (Audessey SUB EQ XT). Dont worry about room size. I once had 2 18" JBL 2245 subwoofers (10 cu. ft. ported box aka B460) in a room that was little more than 2000cu. ft. (15x17x9). Later these 2 18" were replafcd by 4 Audio Concepts DV12 12" subs....blah blah blah.. in short your AVR will compensate for the room placement and EQ on the subwoofer. What you need to focus on is if the sub is capable of prodcuing good tight bass. Levels and EQ will come later.

Biwire cable is simple 2 loudspeaker cable pairs (4 wires) in one sheath. It helps only if WAF permits only one wire going from the amplifier to the loudspeaker (if the loudspeaker is indeed biwired). I have used Supra Rondo in such a case and in another case Atlas Hyper. Both are good.

I use Bi-wiring to primarily control the quality of the signal going from the amp to the speaker. For example if one wire is more transparent and neutral I might use it for the mid+hf section while if another wire is better for bass then I might use it for the woofer section (most loudspeakers with bi wire terminals have 2 sections : woofers and mid+tweeter/hf). Remember if you bi-wire remove the shorting plug connecting the 2 sections.

Eddie,

Get good HDMI cables. Make sure they are 1.4a.

The reason I suggested using the Def Tech for a rear channel sub is because they can be used wireless. When it comes to definition and transient pop REL might be the better option either that or the Velodyne DD.

Bass is very room and location dependant so it is important that you have considerable flexibility in room placement.

Last edited:
HDMI's: I'll buy new ones thanks. 1.4 and 1.4a are different right?

Navin I am really inclined towards Deftech at the moment. It would still be ok if I get a DT now and add a REL later?

Update: The local dealer with who I had auditioned a 7.2 DT dedicated theatre setup, called me up yesterday and we discussed about subwoofers. He sells both, DT and REL. He told me that any of these two is a safe bet. But considering my room size and other factors as well, he told me to go for the DT now and add a REL later (if at all there is a need). He praised RELs equally as well. When I told him that I like T7 as well, he told me that his HT room already has a REL T9. And I start thinking about my experience there one month ago and I recall that it was bad. IDK if the front towers had subs built in (DT setup completely) but the bass was just too much for me!! I couldn't take it at all. And I am saying this after a Celine Dion Concert Bluray on the system. Imagine? Celine Dion's songs having truckloads of bass?:lol:

Anyhow, this guy said the price is 73k fixed only with no discount. Another outstation dealer has quoted me 12%. Guess I'll buy from the outstation dealer and be satisfied.:)

Eddie,

Get good HDMI cables. Make sure they are 1.4a.

The reason I suggested using the Def Tech for a rear channel sub is because they can be used wireless. When it comes to definition and transient pop REL might be the better option either that or the Velodyne DD.

Bass is very room and location dependant so it is important that you have considerable flexibility in room placement.

Navin I am really inclined towards Deftech at the moment. It would still be ok if I get a DT now and add a REL later?

Sure. Room placement and EQ is likely to influence the sound more than the differences between both these woofers.

I know this discussed AVRs buit the same is true for cable.
The Truth Behind HDMI 1.4a

By October this year (2013) we can expect a new spec (temporarily called HDMI 2.0) to be released but I would not worry. HDMI1.4/1.4a will suffice for most of us for the next 10 years.

When I was looking at the Yamaha 1020/2020/3020 and Onkyo 1010/3010 I knew that the next Gen was around the corner but you cant worry about that. There will always be a next gen see Onkyo NR828 link below.
http://translate.google.co.in/trans...a=X&ei=FdpKUffBC8PWrQeFr4GoBg&ved=0CHIQ7gEwBw

Last edited:
:sad:Guys, neither the T7 or the SC6000 is in ready stock and might take more than a month to be available. What should I do now?:mad:

I was all set to arrange the payment and get it dispatched today itself but in vain!

Edit: So what options do I have now? Velodyne again? I've been quoted 87k for Velodyne SPL Ultra 1200. I also checked and found that it has been discontinued for now. But the dealer is mad crazy in love with this model and tells me not to consider the discontinued part. He does have it in stock so maybe he is just making a sale.

The DT Supercube 4000 and 8000 is for 52k and 98k (discounted tax paid prices). As I am keen on experimenting with 2 subs in my setup, should I just go ahead and order a DT SC 4000 in that case? It's in stock as well and I can always order the 2nd one after assessing the need of my room. What's your take on that?

Any help is more than welcome guys.

Last edited:
I was all set to arrange the payment and get it dispatched today itself but in vain!

Edit: So what options do I have now? Velodyne again?

The DT Supercube 4000 and 8000 is for 52k and 98k

Any help is more than welcome guys.

What about Velo's Optimum 10? The 4000 is a 8" woofer and there is only so much you can extract from a 8". The 8000 is big (15" cube) and expensive at 1L per pc. Velo's SPL1200 is a good buy too. It was often compared to the REL T9 when it first came out but in your room it way well be too much bass.

Think 10". 8" maybe too small given that your CM9s already have 2 7" woofers in them and 12" might overpower the room forcing you to move the sub away from all walls to reduce boundary reinforcement.

Something like JL's F110 might suit. It is a about the same size as the 8000.

Quick Update: I haven't heard from the deftech dealer about availability of SC 6000. I guess it's unavailable and I might have to look for other options starting right from the scratch. I've been given various options which I would list here and await your guys' input on the same:

- Deftech SC 4000 (53k final price)
- Deftech SC 8000 (99k final price)
- 2 B&W ASW 610 subs (50k each)
- 2 Velodyne EQ MAX 12's (62k each)
- 1 Velodyne SPL 1200 Ultra (87k final price)
- 1 Velodyne SPL 1000 Ultra (price unsure for now), will add a 2nd sub later depending upon need
- 1 Velodyne DD10+ (I guess around 1.75 lacs, will get final price in a while)
- 2 Velodyne Optimum 10's (price not sure)

Now, I am wondering what should be the best pick from the lot?
Is one expensive sub with hell lot of features and eq settings and auto calibration options (DD10+) better than 2 EQMAX 12's / 2 Deftech SuperCubes 4000 / any two inexpensive but good subs?
Would it better investing 1.5-1.75 lacs on a single sub for my room or I should take it easy, buy a single sub for now (80k-90k) and add a second one later?
Personally, I can spend the heavy figure but I want to spend not too heavily on it considering 80k-90k is decent price for a sub.

@Navin- I couldn't find JL Audio's indian partner. Thinking about Velodyne and Deftech only now. And taking your advice into consideration, I am not looking for a 10" sub and not 12" as I remember my experience with a local dealer and how I hated the bass at his best system demo, overwhelming I would say. :)

I just checked with a delhi dealer and got to know that Optimum series hasn't been launched in India yet. Is that even true?

What about Velo's Optimum 10? The 4000 is a 8" woofer and there is only so much you can extract from a 8". The 8000 is big (15" cube) and expensive at 1L per pc. Velo's SPL1200 is a good buy too. It was often compared to the REL T9 when it first came out but in your room it way well be too much bass.

Think 10". 8" maybe too small given that your CM9s already have 2 7" woofers in them and 12" might overpower the room forcing you to move the sub away from all walls to reduce boundary reinforcement.

Something like JL's F110 might suit. It is a about the same size as the 8000.

If you can stretch your budget beyond 150k for a good subwoofer, then you can look into the Seaton Submersive. It has 1000W amp, dual 15" vibration cancelling drivers. This subwoofer is considered to be among the few of the cleanest and tightest sub in the world. They go very deep and very loud. You can also apt for the USED AMPS, which comes with 2 year warranty at a price tag of $1795. Not even the Velodyne DD18+ can beat this sub (which is clear from the comparitive gtg reviews and appreciations it has received). However, you have to import them from US. Mark Seaton, the owner will guide you and help you through out the process, if you wanna purchace this sub.

If I had the money, then my first choice will be a pair of these subs- Seaton Submersive, JTR Captivator S or the Captivator S2. No other sub in the world can beat these subs at their price point period.

Edit: One day I hope to buy 1 or a pair of one of these subs.

Last edited:
I just checked with a delhi dealer and got to know that Optimum series hasn't been launched in India yet. Is that even true?

- Deftech SC 8000 (99k final price)
- 2 B&W ASW 610 subs (50k each)
- 1 Velodyne SPL 1200 Ultra (87k final price)
- 2 Velodyne Optimum 10's (price not sure)

@Navin- I couldn't find JL Audio's indian partner. Thinking about Velodyne and Deftech only now. And taking your advice into consideration, I am not looking for a 10" sub and not 12" as I remember my experience with a local dealer and how I hated the bass at his best system demo, overwhelming I would say. :)

Now you got me confused. You say you are not looking for a 10" and not for a 12"?

I think you should cap your budget at 1L. Not that it is some magical figure but comparing a 2L sub with 2 1L subs is not a fair comparison except that the money you spend is the same. To this end I have short listed the options I like best.

Again, I will repeat. You have to hear a sub in YOUR room. Bass is the trickiest of areas and where a speaker and it's locatin make most obvious differences. There is one reason why I talked about subs that have EQ and remote controls. Not all recordings are equal. Some are bass heavy, some are thin. By having the ability to change the settings on the sub from your seat you can ( to some degree) compensate for this. I find it easier that toggling through a AVR's subwoofer settings. AVR's menus are complex and confusing especially for old men like me. I had a young 30 something engineer ( he is THX certified etc.... ) set up the HT part of my system. 2 channel analog audio is so much easier for fossils like me.

That reminds me who is going to set up your system? Do get someone competent. The guy I know is in Mumbai so he might not able to help. A sweet chap well known in Audio circles. Goes by the handle of Bass and Trouble on this forum but I prefer to call him Ajay.

Can the dealer(s) let you listen to a single sub be it the ASW 610, Velodyne Ultra 1200, or Deftech Sc8000 in your room for even 30 mins? How many dealers are you working with? Oh an BTW it is not advisable to get a demo from one dealer and buy from another as you are then not giving them respect for time they have spent.

best of luck.

Last edited:
Guys, I have just received the first consignment of my setup - Denon 4520CI :eek:hyeah: Did not have much time to check it up in detail in the afternoon but looks alright from the carton and sealed taping on top. I will go into details when I get back home tonight, too excited right now!:yahoo:

I am so confused right now because I wanted a DT SC6000, but after all the research, I found out that it was out of stock. So my efforts went in waste. Spoke to 2 dealers as well as Mr. Anil from Audio Excellence in Mumbai regarding availability but it's not in stock. No auditions conducted by any dealer, only audition I did was at the AV MAX EXPO this year. That's how I liked it.

Then I was again aiming for something from Velodyne, but had no clue about which one to pick. My B&W dealer in Delhi told me to buy either SPL 1200 Ultra or DD12+ and tells me to trust his experience because he knows that an audition isn't possible for me. He tells me that recently one of his delhi customer has installed DD18+ in a room slightly bigger (2600-3000 cubic feet) than mine (2500 cubic feet precisely) and he just loves it. He even offered me this customer's number in case I want to speak to him personally, which I refused for the time being. For my dealer, 15 & 18 are big no no for my room, 12 is the right size and 10 can be considered, if 12 isn't in stock. When I had finalised in my mind and checked all the reviews, I called him as well as Acoustic Arts (distributor) today about DD12+, I get to know that it's not in stock and it will take several weeks to come.:mad: I am assuming it will take a month or more from what I could judge/guess when they spoke to me. Now, my dealer tells me to buy either DD10+ or SPL 1200 Ultra. I'm thinking about DD10+. The dealer tells me that if I start using the servo based subs, the bass is so refined and almost distortion free that once you get used to it, you wouldn't go back to non-servo subs. Is that good enough for my room size? Please consider that I am buying it only based on reviews and user experiences from the internet. I don't wish to wait for a month, and do think that 15" would be too big aesthetically as well. Even my wife yesterday rejected the idea of 2 subs. I don't want to buy a sub now and then keep looking for upgrades in future. Like I mentioned before, what I buy now, will stay with me for next 10 years atleast. I am always short of time and very impatient when it comes to buying gadgets & gear.

I have not involved a lot of dealers here simply because I never went for any audition to any dealer's showroom. I am taking advice from my B&W dealer and check to compare the price offering from another dealer at the max, not even 2nd dealer. I know and respect the fact that if a person is doing some effort with me & for me, I make sure to acknowledge it and reward it as well. Eg- I discussed my requirement with Mr. Chawla in Ludhiana, he took me to 3 auditions in a span of 1.5 years. So I wanted to acknowledge his efforts by at-least buying the sub from him as I had already placed order of speakers and avr from my delhi B&W dealer. An outstation deftech dealer offered me flat 12% off on SC6000 (73k). Then when Mr. Chawla called me up for pricing, he totally rejected any discount on deftech and told me a straight NO for discount. Now, I wanted to buy something from him for now, but when he told me that "Sir, if you are getting discount, go and buy from that dealer because I can't do it and I will never do it. My margins are very thin at only 15%!;) If I will not earn something, how will I eat?" I hung up and immediately he sent me 2 texts stating that I will offer superior services being a local guy then any other outstation guy. I thought in my mind that if you won't even sell nothing at the end of the day, you still can't eat. I did not even reply back because I found him rude when he spoke to me. After all this effort, he wanted to take me for a ride thinking that I am not aware of anything called DISCOUNTS. What should one do now? Had he asked for 1k-2k more, I wouldn't have objected to it. But, it was a question of 9k, so I wouldn't buy anything from him now and never in future. I never accept anything or anybody being rude with me simply because I know what I am spending and whatever I am spending is not less by any means and therefore, a dealer can atleast be courteous enough to gently/humbly tell a NO on discount, if he is persistent that he won't be able to do it. I can take that but it pisses me off if a seller gets rude without a reason. He just lost a customer who he knew can do a lot of business with him as I plan to have 3 theatre setups and 2 stereo setups at my place when the house is complete. I know 3 dealers now in Ludhiana and they are all jerks. They would want to sell the complete package to you or you can buzz off. You can't buy individual items from any of these 3 dealers like an avr only, or sub only. They wouldn't answer your phone and yeah that's pretty much about it. I know how to take care of somebody's efforts, like this delhi dealer, he is such a nice man and very helpful. Even if I call him 7-8 times a day regarding anything, he makes sure that each one of my phone call gets answered. Very very helpful. Plus, his card and he himself tell me that they are THX certified so I will try and see how it goes with him. Looking forward to receiving my speakers on Monday and will post more updates.

Guys, I have just received the first consignment of my setup - Denon 4520CI :.... Even my wife yesterday rejected the idea of 2 subs. I ... he took me to 3 auditions in a span of 1.5 years.... "Sir, if you are getting discount, go and buy from that dealer because I can't do it and I will never do it. ...What should one do now? ... ...Plus, his card and he himself tell me that they are THX certified so I will try and see how it goes with him. Looking forward to receiving my speakers on Monday and will post more updates.

Eddie,

1. If you are getting only 1 subwoofer a 12" would be your best bet. I was suggesting 10" as I figured if the volume of bass does not satisfy you could add a second sub and even smoothen the response in your room. With a single 10" sub it can be touch and go.

2. If you are not comfortable with your dealer you are within your rights to look for another dealer. In my case the speakers, all source and stereo amps were not even sourced from any dealer. Still Ajay helped me set up everything. I guess I am lucky to have a good dealer besides the silver hair on my head might help. I am an old man with old bones so Ajay sent two of his boys to position my heavy speaker (along with my carpenters). The two of them would not even accept baksheesh, I had to literally force them to accept a token of my gratitude (try lugging 4 50kg tower speakers into position). In the end the moral is to find a good dealer, respect him and he will respect you. Develop a relationship.

3. There is no secret to THX certification but if your dealer has one it at the least ensures he knows what time delay means and how to set up a subwoofer.

20130323204256.jpg

20130323210150.jpg

20130323210505.jpg
[/URL]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

20130325000514.jpg
[/URL]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

Guys I had a long day, went to Ambala to pick up my speakers (long story phew) and just came back after a hectic day. Feeling so tired right now but very very excited to start 'em up soon :eek:hyeah::yahoo:. I'll probably have the installation done in a week's time whenever I can take a day off from work. The DD12+ is expected to come in the first week of April of what I've been told. I'll see and think about it in a couple of days. Only wires have to be done ASAP tomorrow itself and hopefully I'll be able to settle up for some good stuff.

I'll have to redo my tv cabinet but that's gonna happen in another 3-4 months. At that time, I would hopefully get a projector and screen as well along with the tv in place as well.

My heart says thank you to all of you guys out there from the bottom of my heart. Without your guys input, I don't know what would have I settled for (probably BOSE ;)). This forum is going to get a lot of recommendations from my side for sure. A very special thanks to Navin Advani for patiently answering my all my noob questions and doubts :clapping::clapping:, I feel I'm indebted to you sir. Whenever I'm in Mumbai, I'll try to catch up with you for a drink if that's possible for you :)

Good night everybody from a happy happy FM :)

Last edited:
The DD12+ is expected to come in the first week of April of what I've been told...I'll have to redo my tv cabinet...

Whenever I'm in Mumbai, I'll try to catch up with you for a drink if that's possible for you :)

You happy. We happy. ;)

You got the DD12+ LOL. That is a nice subwoofer. Now that you got all the ingriedients please remember that a bad cook can make a hash of good stuff.

Work on the install. Get a friend to help and a couple of more to move speakers around.

Sure you are welcome to Mumbai. ...now I can tell you an odd story that happened regarding the brand B&W.

About 2-3 weeks after I had installed my living room system a few of my son's odler friends (my son in 10 and his friends were 12-14) were visiting and one of them (the 14 year old) looks at my speakers and goes "Wow B&W speakers". To which I quitely replied "Son these are not B&W just something I built". I dont think the boys heard me. They ran in, got some stuff and ran out.

A few days later my wife were enjoying a movie and in march the same troop of boys and the 14 year old goes "Wow, Uncle your B&W speakers sound better than my dad's". I just nodded and smiled. I dont remember much of what I knew at age 12-14 but being so brand concious was definitely not one of them.

So here's hoping that your "B&W" sounds better than mine. ;) Enjoy.

Lol Navin, I haven't finalised it yet. I spoke to my dealer today and he told me that he would recommend me SPL 1200 over DD10+ , in case I don't wish to wait for DD12+. I still have to make up my mind as which one to go for.

Thanks for all the suggestions in this post, I will keep them in mind. And yes, about the B&W brand, I'll share with you about my experience yesterday. I took along my cousin with me who has no knowledge about this stuff. We went, we came back & just as when we were about to reach my home, he asked me "Eddie, I hope these speakers are good enough compared to the effort that we have put in them getting them on a SUNDAY. I smiled and told him that it's a B&W theatre. He immediately got super excited about them and kept singing praises for them, without even aware of the model number, Lol:lol:. This is what effect B&W has in my company :eek:hyeah:.

Also, my B&W dealer has quoted me :

Klotz 14G speaker wire for rears @ 176/m

Audioquest TYPE 4 for fronts and centre @ 1100/m

According to him, I would require 20-30m for the rears and 10m for the fronts and centre. Is that a safe bet? I asked him if a 12G wire would fit nicely, and he told me that it'll be much thicker and won't fit in. 14G is more than enough for me so I shouldn't consider that. Now, about ATLAS and SUPRA cables, I would have to invest a lot of time which I am very bad at, speak to a different dealer, then tell my dealer to get it from him or arrange it and this is going to take quite some time. Or it would be great if you could me 1 option straight & final of the wires that you would use if you were at my place. It would really get simple for me, get a model name from you, check it out on internet, enquire the price and finalise it. My dealer tells me that I only need speaker wire and no interconnects at all. When the sub arrives, I would have to get a cable for it and that's all.

He also told me that in speaker wires, there is no discount. Rather, they charge a 20% premium if not buying a spool (which I don't need at all) but he wishes to do it at 10% for me. Is that true about the premium?

Delightful Regards.

You happy. We happy. ;)

You got the DD12+ LOL. That is a nice subwoofer. Now that you got all the ingriedients please remember that a bad cook can make a hash of good stuff.

Work on the install. Get a friend to help and a couple of more to move speakers around.

Sure you are welcome to Mumbai. ...now I can tell you an odd story that happened regarding the brand B&W.

About 2-3 weeks after I had installed my living room system a few of my son's odler friends (my son in 10 and his friends were 12-14) were visiting and one of them (the 14 year old) looks at my speakers and goes "Wow B&W speakers". To which I quitely replied "Son these are not B&W just something I built". I dont think the boys heard me. They ran in, got some stuff and ran out.

A few days later my wife were enjoying a movie and in march the same troop of boys and the 14 year old goes "Wow, Uncle your B&W speakers sound better than my dad's". I just nodded and smiled. I dont remember much of what I knew at age 12-14 but being so brand concious was definitely not one of them.

So here's hoping that your "B&W" sounds better than mine. ;) Enjoy.

Lol Navin, I haven't finalised it yet. I spoke to my dealer today and he told me that he would recommend me SPL 1200 over DD10+ , in case I don't wish to wait for DD12+. I still have to make up my mind as which one to go for.

Klotz 14G speaker wire for rears @ 176/m

Audioquest TYPE 4 for fronts and centre @ 1100/m

He also told me that in speaker wires, there is no discount. Rather, they charge a 20% premium if not buying a spool (which I don't need at all) but he wishes to do it at 10% for me. Is that true about the premium?

Delightful Regards.

1. 14 GA is good enough for the rears.
2. I have heard the Type 4 and it is a very good wire. I find it over priced and would prefer Supra's Sword or Atlas's Ascent at that price point.
3. There are 2 ways to buy speaker cable. (A) by the 50 m spool which what I did for all the rear speakers and (B) by the meter + terminations which is what I did for the front and centre. In either case I was not charged a premium for the per meter purchased but was charged separately for the banana plug termination ( I used wire world terminators).

I don't remember the prices I was charged but due to my age I am aware that I get discounts many others might not (silver hair has it's privileges). Besides many dealers are old friends of mine - a few I know since the 70s.

I have occasionally heard me referred to as " navin uncle" for example once when one dealer called another requesting some component I was looking for he said "boss, yeh navin uncle ke liye hain":lol:

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back