B&W 804 Nautilus floor standers need shipping advice

Amit Shetty

Need Advice!

I have a friend in the UK who is willing to let go of his B&W Nautilus 804 speakers for about 50k INR. It's about 2 years old and in impeccable condition as per him and the pics I have seen. :yahoo:

1. Is it a fair price? I'm told new ones retail at $2300 in the US.
2. I am planning to travel to the UK on vacation anyway- can I bring them through checked in luggage? I wonder if there are different rules for speaker transport as they have a magnetic field.
3. What's the best pairing amp for these speakers? I have a marantz PM 6004 - I wonder if they will be able to drive them.

Thanks much in advance for your help :)

Speaker Specs below copied from the B&W site

D e s c r i p t i o n Drive units
F r eq uen cy re s p o n s e S e n s i t i v i t y
3-way vented-box system
1 x 25mm metal dome high-frequency 1 x 150mm woven Kevlar cone FST midrange
2 x 165mm paper/Kevlar cone bass 45Hz 20kHz 2dB on reference axis
89dB spl (2.83V, 1m)
Nom ina l im pe dan ce Power handling
D i m e n s i o n s F i n i s h e s
8? (min 3.0 ?)
50W - 200W into 8 ohm on unclipped programme
Height: 1015mm Width: 238mm Depth: 344mm

The 804s are superb speakers and you are getting them at nearly 1/10th of current prices. IF there are no issues with the speakers, you should simply grab them. I would be worried why anyone would be ready to let go at these prices. B&Ws have very good resale value.

The speakers weigh nearly 29Kgs each. There is no way you can bring them as baggage. Get them packed extremely well with wooden crating on top, and get in touch with a shipper who can deliver them to your house.

The 804s have a high sensitivity of 90dBs and a power range of 50-200 watts. They are extremely power hungry. The Marantz is nowhere near the class of amps that can drive the B&W. Look for high class amps with a power out of between 200 to 250 watts into 8 Ohms. A pre-power would be a good option.

Cheers

PS. If you don't want for some reason, I am ready to take them. :)

Agree to what venkat says (I cant take them though, not now :p).
I feel that a high current 100-150 watt amp with a beefy power supply and good damping factor, which can go down to 4 ohms, should be able to drive them..unless you need high spl. Manufacturers like Rotel, Marantz (class A amps), Sugden etc, depending on your budget and sound preference, come to mind. If you can find a quad 606 mk2 in good condition,with a suitable pre, that should be a very good match for the b&w.

He would also need some suggestions as to how to handle Indian Customs! This being a second-hand purchase, what kind of billing papers should he need to carry on his self? Custom officials would necessarily take out the current list price to evaluate their part of the booty ....... :mad:

He should get a letter from his friend that the speakers are being gifted to him, and that they are 2 years old. If he can include the original invoice copy, there would be no customs at all!!

Cheers

50k for Nautilus ... hell, I would smuggle them in if need be! :D But for all the excitement, do think through the cost of amplification for these speakers as you would want to do them justice.

50K for 804N is an excellent price. It is older model and so I think in the US probably you would get the used one for around 2500 USD. As others suggested you need a powerful power amp to drive this. I drive mine with Pass X150. and it works well. Pass amps are considered to be a good match.

Pass Labs/Threshhold, Jeff Rowland, Classe etc are amps with which B&Ws are said to mate almost perfectly.. depending on the speaker in question and the sonic qualities looked for. But these amps are mighty expensive. If the OP can get them, nothing like it.

Last edited:
From the nature of the questions raised, its apparent the OP will be a newcomer at this level

1. If the purchase price of these Used N-804 pair are INR 50k, safe shipping of these speakers to India with robust packing would cost close to INR 75,000 approx using a pallet with the speakers well crated standing UP - thus occupying a much greater "volumetric weight" that will be applicable.

2. A suitable amplifier mandatory for a speaker of this nature would set back the OP easily another INR 1 lac to 1.5 lacs. Anything lesser and you are simply wasting your time, money & efforts.

3. B&Ws are known to be "risk prone to shipping damages" since their original factory packaging is inadequate. Hence, additional reinforced packaging is mandatory at additional cost prior to shipping.

Only - and if only the OP is ready to adhere to the mentioned above, only then is his move towards these speakers a fullproof best buy ...

If not - let it go ...

@ All, thank you for your comments. I've been travelling lately and wasn't able to reply.

I am exploring shipping options through ICC world but I don't have the original invoice of the speakers and that may cause a concern. I am yet to hear back from them on estimates.. so let's see how that goes.

Amps -
Emotiva XPA-2 Power and USP - 1 pre are ones that I'm exploring on procuring. The Pass X150 seems like a great fit as per reviews on the net but retails at over $4500 and hence beyond my budget. I can strech to $2000 and only because i'm getting these great pair of speakers at a steal. I will be researching used amps when i travel to the UK hopefully I will be able to get a good deal -

1. What are possible options within $2000?
2. does anyone know where or which site i can possibly explore in London?

Evidently I'm a noob to the world of high end audio - but have always been an ardent fan of Jazz, Blues, Rock et al but for some reason didn't assemble a good hifi system. I recently purchased a Marantz PM6004 and a CD 6004 that drives a pair of old Sony Floorstanders - they (amp and speakers) will be on the block if I happen to actually get the speakers with worthy amp.

@ All, thank you for your comments. I've been travelling lately and wasn't able to reply.

I am exploring shipping options through ICC world but I don't have the original invoice of the speakers and that may cause a concern. I am yet to hear back from them on estimates.. so let's see how that goes.

Amps -
Emotiva XPA-2 Power and USP - 1 pre are ones that I'm exploring on procuring. The Pass X150 seems like a great fit as per reviews on the net but retails at over $4500 and hence beyond my budget. I can strech to $2000 and only because i'm getting these great pair of speakers at a steal. I will be researching used amps when i travel to the UK hopefully I will be able to get a good deal -

1. What are possible options within $2000?
2. does anyone know where or which site i can possibly explore in London?

Evidently I'm a noob to the world of high end audio - but have always been an ardent fan of Jazz, Blues, Rock et al but for some reason didn't assemble a good hifi system. I recently purchased a Marantz PM6004 and a CD 6004 that drives a pair of old Sony Floorstanders - they (amp and speakers) will be on the block if I happen to actually get the speakers with worthy amp.

To save on the "volumetric weight" during shipping charges calculation, you can try out registering the shipment online and providing the weight only for shipment calculation and not the actual dimensions of the package. Let the shipping guys pick up the shipment from your (friend's) home. This way you will actually save some monies.

The Pass X150 seems like a great fit as per reviews on the net but retails at over $4500 and hence beyond my budget. I can strech to $2000 and only because i'm getting these great pair of speakers at a steal. I will be researching used amps when i travel to the UK hopefully I will be able to get a good deal -

Pass X150 is a correct amp. Other options would be USED Jeff Rowland model 5 or model 6 in monoblocks or (model 2 on a lower budget with lower power), Mark Levinson 23-series or even 27-series (skip the 33-series), Meridian 557 or 605 monoblocks, Audio Synthesis Desire

And of course, source has to go way UP from CD 6004. The speaker will show you all the things the CD 6004 'does wrong'.

Hence, be prepared & ready for a "perpetual upgradatis" for quite a long time - source, interconnects, biwire spk cables etc. This is not to discourage you but to prepare you for what will actually happen in the long run. The result is only utter bliss in time !! when things get right.

Dear Mr. Amit,

I had imported B&W 804 pair from Dubai In fact they were brought as Checked in baggage. Don't worry It can be brought as checked in baggage. The main thing you have to be careful about 800 series is their Tweeter assembly and the grills. Please confirm how many members of you are traveling and which airlines, so that I can throw some light on how to pack it and bring it as checked baggage. If you are traveling alone then read my lips saying ""no way"" as the weight allowance will not be sufficient.

The advantage in bring it as accompanied baggage is that you can steer clear the customs your self then and there. A letter from your friend that he is sending it to his family in India through you or a gift Letter to you (this I am not sure whether it is accepted) more so over accompanied by the then original invoice should get you caught free from customs. There is no problem in bringing used electronics as personnel possession.

Assuming they charge you coustoms IMO it is not going to be more than 50 K (In a very very large extent) which is still worth it for your purchase price.

In case you need my personal method of packing the speakers you can PM me with your contact so that I can explain you step by step. You can be cock sure you will receive it with out single scratch. In fact I did purchase One pair of B&W 804 from a forum member last year for my cousin sake. Though he assured that original packing is available but when it came to the stage of dispatch he said that he don't have the Top thermocol piece which is the most Important piece of packing as this is the one which protects the Tweeter assembly. Finally he sent packing it with Low density thermocol resulting in damaged tweeter and grills. Anyhow I imported those components and gave it to my cousin. So with both the above experiences I can assure you that you can have a night mare free shipment.

In case you cannot bring it as Checked in baggage then book it as UAB ie un accompanied baggage. this has to be done a day in advance, check with your airliner (Jet airways has got airport to airport cargo). In this case you have to seek the help of a C&F agent to clear it for you. In normal case they charge Rs. 750 to 1000 as their charges plus other actual charges !!!!!.

Leave alone this 804 in fact I did bring 683, 684, 685 all as checked in baggages only. All you need is a family travelling. All came out in green channel. As a last resort you can get it thru Some courier company. Hope this gives you little confidence.

Thanks

R. Balagopalan

Are customs officials posted at Indian metro airports so blind ?

If so, by now, the highend USED market in India should have been flooded with high quality gear, esp. with carriers frequenting destinations like Dubai, Singapore, KL, HK etc ...

You can get lucky once, max twice but otherwise walking thru with almost 40 inch tall speakers is unimaginable ..

How good is CD6004/PM6004 in driving your Sony Floor Standers. How does the overall set up sound. May consider upgrading my legacy Sony LBT system.

Are customs officials posted at Indian metro airports so blind ?

If so, by now, the highend USED market in India should have been flooded with high quality gear, esp. with carriers frequenting destinations like Dubai, Singapore, KL, HK etc ...

You can get lucky once, max twice but otherwise walking thru with almost 40 inch tall speakers is unimaginable ..

The customs officials are not blind. Please note you are allowed to bring Rs. 25K worth of electronics per head (since last April this limit has been increased to 35K). So given a situation, a family of 4 returning to India is eligible for 1 lakh of value with out duty. Hence there is no wonder getting a Pair of 683 with out duty. The critiria is your stay abroad should be minimum 3days otherwise it is limited to 10 K per head. Moreover customs officials do look in to your profile of frequent flying and the destinations too when they stop you for questioning, with that they can identify whether you are a carrier or genuine user.

Last week my cousin was on a official trip to USA for a week. I had requested him to bring me a Panny Projector AR100. The size with double box pack is 23" x 23" x 17" and weighing around 13 kgs and value is Rs. 75K he was walking thru the Green channel and was stopped for questioning when he explained with a request that it is for his own use they have allowed him with out any question.

When you are a family of 4 or above you have the value plus weight allowance too, so bringing 804 or 683 is no big deal. Most of the cases tourism travelers cannot offered this as their luggage would be more whereas NRIs visiting India as family can easily manage this.

R. Balagopalan

Last edited:
The OP is reminded that each Tweeter costs $ 260 (with 15 pcs in stock). The head is the MOST fragile section of the speaker.

Good luck in transporting via the baggage method as suggested ..

(though I wouldn't unless the speakers are crated & standing upright)

I think that you also need to keep in mind that if there is any damage during transit or on unpacking, there will be no/limited service for speakers purchased from abroad.Options would be to import parts from original shop, difficult and frustrating business.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back