B&W - the most popular speaker brand!

sidvee

Esteemed Members
I can already see a number of you getting your flamethrowers ready:lol:, but what I meant with this provocative title (and believe me that is far from what I intend) is that I did a review for Soundstage.com back in May '07 on the B&W CM1, and was recently informed that it was the most read loudspeaker review in the 15 year History of the Soundstage Network - also referred to by Randall Smith in his review of the 684 here:
SoundStage! Equipment Review - B&W 684 Loudspeakers (2/2010)
This IMHO is very interesting as Soundstage with a worldwide audience has access to mega buck (read $20k - $50k) speakers which they do review periodically and yet the review of a $900 speaker has the highest number of hits - hence the wording of my title:). I still have my N805 speakers which I refuse to part with because I have yet to find another (xcept maybe the 805s) which can replace it.
(BTW I am not affliated with B&W)
Cheers
Sid

I recently heard the 805. AudioEng always raves about and I have always respected his views, yesterday I was blown away by these speakers. Pure magic, have heard anything like this before.

Now, have decided will make a Mutual Fund for this speakers :) My next upgrade will only be a B&W 805 period!

I really liked the review Sid and IMO B&W is indeed an excellent brand. Most of my frnds own B&W. I am on my way to finalize something within this range or maybe a little more but off course B&W is my first choice.

There you go madbullram - another victim seduced by the 805's charms:eek:hyeah: and johny - agree with audio_engr, all of the B&W's that I heard came alive with good (and unfortunately expensive) amplification. Of-course once you get to the 800 series you can pause or even stop upgraditis for a long while (in my case it has been 5 years so far).
Thanks all for your kind words as well on the review.
Cheers
Sid

Hi
Interesting title Sid and one that I dont object to in the least:D:D

I too respect audio engr and his views. One telephone conversation with the man & u know that these kind of guys will really push the envelope when its anything to get better sound.

My opinion on the brand is mixed. Some lovely speakers (800,802,805) some decent (703,704 for example) and then loads of mediocre speakers (683,684,686,705.......)

Last week itself I heard the 800 D with the Audio research Pre/power and it does sound special but the one speaker that I had liked earlier i.e the 803 D was a let down.

I guess the speaker to wait for for me is the new 805 D, provided its sanely priced.

Anyone looking at these 805s could be fooled into matching these with average amps i.e Marantz, Nad and the much recommended Rotel. That is disaster and buying this speaker means one is prepared to go deep into the pocket when its time for the amp/cdp. I was not a believer in biwiring and have got into endless debates and arguments over the 'need' to biwire an 800 but sadly over time i am a convert. Its brings out a wee bit more in the case of the 805.

The much recommended pairing of Rotel & B&W is a joke IMO but the Kimber/B&W pairing has always worked for me with all the various B&W that I have owned. Recently our forum member Ali (Magma) came over and was stunned by what he called 'shit looking unfinished speaker cables'. Yes up to the TC line they are simple looking & plain jane but IMO they flat out work.

To sum up buy a B&W (moderately overpriced in India to say the least) then spend a bomb on the electronics & if u thought u were done, then the amount u may shell out for good cabling may be the straw that broke the camels back.
Rgds

Last edited:
Yes,B&W is one of the best speaker brands.but now they shifted their mfg to china for some of their models.before i used to have DM320(2X8"woofers+1"metal dome tweeter),the sound is really good and used all high quality crossovers.but B&W 8xx models really requires high power amps or tube amps.i heard one of my friend using 802 matrixS3 with nad amp(355) but i found the bass and resolution is really lacking. then we changed the set up with my YAMAHA MX1000U(260W/Channelx2)/CX1000U and every thing comes up to life.now he changed his mind to sell those and searching for high power prepower.

HI,
Only new 600 series is shifted to B&W PRC.

Buddy Nad 355 cant drive an 805 well so its rather brainless to expect it to drive an 802. I had a 352 that I had paired with an old 704 as a stop gap but it was so poor that I sold it ASAP.

Since ur friend is now buying new amps advise him to look for something 'big & strong' or else that 802 is never going to shine.Many options for amps BUT ALL the amps will make a huge hole in his pocket which he should be prepared for.

Rgds

B&W speakers are definitely first-class without doubt but at the same instance they do have a very charming luck of becoming popular and admired.:cool:)

B&W speakers are definitely first-class without doubt but at the same instance they do have a very charming luck of becoming popular and admired.:cool:)

Yaar, who really cares if the speakers are first class or not. First class is whatever sound from whatever speaker that conveys the true underlying essence of the music to YOUR soul directly and not just your ears. B&W speakers are excellent and have built a reputation, but they have to be speaking their language to you and YOU admiring their language.

They could be the destiny of one or just a passing stage of another. We all connect on different planes of musical thought and satisfaction only comes when one feels a sudden rapture every now and then when listening. Purity of notes, purity of tone, beauty of musical expression. If all is well in the world and there is musical harmony within you, even for a split second if we experience that musical rapture with our humble attempts at building a system....it is worth it. ;)

Also, just using your post as a medium for my own communication...
Thanks for lending me the thought and means to express my mind.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back