Back for new HT setup - HTiB or Separates ?

Vagabond

Hello Folks,

Need your suggestions to decide and purchase home theatre.

Available setup that I intend to use -
~Samsung 32" LCD (has optical out + Plays HD movies with DTS/DD out)
~Asus HDP R1 media Player (HDMI Out + optical out)
~Ps3 (to play games + Blu Ray)
~Netgear Router + WD 4TB NAS
~Portable HDDs (1,2,2 TBs Portable+Powered)
~Google Cromecast
~Laptop (HDMI out)

Music and movies use 50%-50%

Music - FLAC+MP3
Movies - HD .mkv files (DTS / DD /HD MA)

Budget in hand as of now 40K (strictly)
Willing to upgrade next year (if required)

Considerations as of now -
HTiB - Onkyo 3700 (or later if budget permits), Yamaha yht299, Denon X500

Don`t know feasibility of separates for my likes and budget. Here I need suggestions from all around forum members.

My location - PUNE

P.S. - I am not in touch with this forum since 2-3 years or so but have attended Hifivisions last Pune meet (around 2011 I guess), changed my handle in 2013 from pavan547 to vagabond.
Do remember folks like Santy, Sonosphere, viki the host, etc.
Link - http://www.hifivision.com/av-lounge/20230-pune-hfv-meet-2011-a.html

Need your help folks !

Last edited:
YHT 299 seems a good buy at 35-37K. Heard it has a bit weaker front speakers so you will have to change them in future.

Also I had heard Denon X500 + Denon sys 5.1 speakers and the package was available for around 38K.

Other option saw here was Denon X500 + Boston Accoustic 5.1 speaker set.

Along with system considerations, Warranty will be one area I would like to emphasize on.. Had onkyo 3400 in past and the extended warranty (1+2) helped after 2.5 years.

Yamaha seem to have service center in Pune (need to confirm) plus Reliance digital is only one to have yht 299 in stock plus giving additional warranty of two years!

Yamaha has service center near Lakshmi road. Even I am in search of a home theater system in the 40K range. My first shortlisted candidate is YHT 299, followed by Denon X500 + Sys 5.1. Would start visiting showrooms this weekend.

Yamaha has service center near Lakshmi road. Even I am in search of a home theater system in the 40K range. My first shortlisted candidate is YHT 299, followed by Denon X500 + Sys 5.1. Would start visiting showrooms this weekend.

Mind if I join you ?

Visited Mahavir Eletronics in Kothrud and demoed following systems:

1. Yamaha AVR 3065 and Yamaha NS - P285 speakers: The speakers are small and so is the sound coming out of it. Was not much impressed with this combination as the surrounds are very much muted. The bass was ok, not so great.

2. Denon X500 + Denon Sys 5.1 speakers: This is an old horse now but sounded much better than the Yamaha combination. The surrounds are pretty good and created some awesome effects while watching Saving Private Ryan. The bass was good and could be felt than heard.

The dealer quoted 47K for the Denon combination which is the max I have ever heard for this combination. When asked if the price can be lowered if 2 sets are bought, he did not give exact price but said around 40K it can be managed.

Now I need to demo YHT 299 since the Yamaha combination here had small speakers. I pretty much liked the Denon System but no idea if I can get extended warranty and about service center.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back