Back to Sound Hobby

Hi dear forum members,
After a pretty long time i am back in he audiophile journey.Most of the respected fms know about my hearng problems and disposing off my whole audio gear last year. After consulting physicians there is some relief in my ringing problems of the ears.They advised me of listining to the music at low volumesTaking the advange of the advice i couldn't resist myself in listining to the music but alaas i have sold every component of my gear.That is very unfortunate.
Since there is still a little ringing of my ears, i had decided not to go in the costly gear and instead had purchased a budget one.If things go in the right way will upgrade in the near future.
I am extremely thankful to all fms who wished me of my early recovery.
Moreover kindly help me in selecting a good network music streamer for my gear.
Regards
Imtiyaz

Good to hear that your ears almost recovered and back to listening. My best wishes for your full recovery.

Hello everybody.

@firearm12
Need info regarding audio output from pi or divione.

I am out of my depth here as I have no knowledge of raspberry pi or digione so please bear with me.

I have read that l2s connection to a DAC is better than co ax due to jitter transport issues.

If a DAC accepts input of l2s using ethernet cable, is the pi or digione capable of l2s outpit via ethernet.

Apologies to OP for piggybacking on this thread.

Regards
I2s connections need to be really short. Like less than a few inches. May not be suitable for connecting different pieces of equipment together. Unless it is modulated and transported using something else, but that may cause it's own distortions.

Since there is no tv or video involved in your setup, a dedicated player like bluesound is more suitable for you i think. It should also give better sound than laptop. Laptop is perfect for someone who likes to play videos, movies and also listen to music. A system with a laptop happens to look more digital to me ;)
Hi
I would like your suggestion please.I primarily listen to music but my main focus is on sound quality.Since i am planning to add a streamer to my setup i am more inclined towards allo digione signature after reading its high positive reviews and the other choice as you have mentioned is node 2i. But setting up of digione seems to be difficult as suggested by fms. Is it so difficult that a person like me having not enough knowledge of computers cannot setup digione ? Do i have to pay annual subscription for volumio to enjoy tidal and spotify and is this subscription in addition to that of tidal subscription ?
Lastly do you think that node 2i plus external good dac will not sound nice as compared to digione signature plus external good dac and will this difference be large ? I am confused between node 2i and digione signature.Hope you will spare your precious time for my queries.
Thanks & Regards

Hi
I would like your suggestion please.I primarily listen to music but my main focus is on sound quality.Since i am planning to add a streamer to my setup i am more inclined towards allo digione signature after reading its high positive reviews and the other choice as you have mentioned is node 2i. But setting up of digione seems to be difficult as suggested by fms. Is it so difficult that a person like me having not enough knowledge of computers cannot setup digione ? Do i have to pay annual subscription for volumio to enjoy tidal and spotify and is this subscription in addition to that of tidal subscription ?
Lastly do you think that node 2i plus external good dac will not sound nice as compared to digione signature plus external good dac and will this difference be large ? I am confused between node 2i and digione signature.Hope you will spare your precious time for my queries.
Thanks & Regards

With same external dac digione signature should sound better than node 2i i am 99.9% sure, only requirement is that the dac and rest of the chain is decent enough.

now where setting up of digione is considered, you can set it up using the manual they provide. If you know the terms like ipaddress its more easier. It gets little technical if there is something to troubleshoot and I won’t advise if you are not into computers and related technical things.

i m not sure about volumio subscription, I never used paid volumio with tidal integrated.

i think you can start off with any laptop you have at home using usb to dac, use tidal, see what quality you get from that., maybe u get be satisfied with that.

With same external dac digione signature should sound better than node 2i i am 99.9% sure, only requirement is that the dac and rest of the chain is decent enough.

now where setting up of digione is considered, you can set it up using the manual they provide. If you know the terms like ipaddress its more easier. It gets little technical if there is something to troubleshoot and I won’t advise if you are not into computers and related technical things.

i m not sure about volumio subscription, I never used paid volumio with tidal integrated.

i think you can start off with any laptop you have at home using usb to dac, use tidal, see what quality you get from that., maybe u get be satisfied with that.

I fully endorse the view that you should try the laptop option.

Allo/Volumio needs a bit of networking knowledge in addition to computer knowledge. Just a bit, to be fair. But Volumio is a bit buggy, so you may need to trouble shoot now and then.

Yes, in addition to tidal, you need to subscribe to Volumio premium to get tidal. I'm not sure you cann get mqa decoding though.

Some of us don’t like interacting with a PC and fiddling with settings while listening to music. Do you want to wait for the PC to boot and open the programs before you can start playing music? Or do you like the convenience of being seated where you are (the sofa etc) and start a favourite playlist/radio station from your mobile or better still, a remote? If so, you value a proper streamer like Node 2i or CXN.

Thanks for the prompt response.I would have tried with a decent laptop i have but the amp/dac has only spdif and optical inputs and not a usb input for digital input signals.I have an asus router and can check the ip address of a device connected to it and i think with the help of an ip address a volumio based device can be configured.I know that digione player is already loaded with a volumio software on a mini sd card and using a laptops browser the ip address of volumio device from the router is to be configured on the laptop but i think there may be difficulties in configuring the same and it is this i am confused with.
Does volumio often needs booting and how you listen to tidal without a subscription to volumio premium ?

Thanks for the prompt response.I would have tried with a decent laptop i have but the amp/dac has only spdif and optical inputs and not a usb input for digital input signals.I have an asus router and can check the ip address of a device connected to it and i think with the help of an ip address a volumio based device can be configured.I know that digione player is already loaded with a volumio software on a mini sd card and using a laptops browser the ip address of volumio device from the router is to be configured on the laptop but i think there may be difficulties in configuring the same and it is this i am confused with.
Does volumio often needs booting and how you listen to tidal without a subscription to volumio premium ?

if the dac has only spdif and coax a laptop has to be ruled out. Now looks like two options digione or node2i... Thats going to be difficult, one offers sound quality and one offers ease of use. If you want to keep youself busy with little technical adventures digione is the way to go but as people have reported it can be buggy, its your own call really actually. I think go through the volumio documentation and if it seem to make sense go for it if you feel doubly sure.

Free Volumio will let you play local songs on usb drive and also act as upnp renderer. You can use mconnect or bubbleupnp player app on android and then render songs from tidal or any local media server to upnp volumio renderer.

I have not used volumio paid which has tidal inbuilt and you dont have to use upnp renderer. People do report it results in better audio quality for tidal.

if the dac has only spdif and coax a laptop has to be ruled out. Now looks like two options digione or node2i... Thats going to be difficult, one offers sound quality and one offers ease of use. If you want to keep youself busy with little technical adventures digione is the way to go but as people have reported it can be buggy, its your own call really actually. I think go through the volumio documentation and if it seem to make sense go for it if you feel doubly sure.

Free Volumio will let you play local songs on usb drive and also act as upnp renderer. You can use mconnect or bubbleupnp player app on android and then render songs from tidal or any local media server to upnp volumio renderer.

I have not used volumio paid which has tidal inbuilt and you dont have to use upnp renderer. People do report it results in better audio quality for tidal.
Thanks a lot for your valuable suggestions.
Regards

Hi, Welcome back sir.
I would suggest to go with Allo, I 've used digione signature and now i'm with Allo USBridge Signature. - I opted USB as i found thats the better option with my Chord Dac.

I use both volumio and moOde audio - both are simple enough to plug and play. It should be fairly easy task to set it up. I keep switching the sd card - sometime boot with volumio and sometime with moOde.. - there is a slight sound signature difference between them!. i don't have tidal - never subscribed to volumio - i use free version.

HDD plug n play could be a bit trickey - some are saying plugging HDDs direct to allo affect sound quality.. some discussion says SSDs cause switching issues (noise), and some says pen drives are best.. so far, i used to stream wav/flac and mp3 files from compueter over the network (using bubble upnp as the interface); also used pendrives/ hdds directly plugged in - i'm yet to experiment more to figureout quality difference.

Thanks,
Noble

Hi, Welcome back sir.
I would suggest to go with Allo, I 've used digione signature and now i'm with Allo USBridge Signature. - I opted USB as i found thats the better option with my Chord Dac.

I use both volumio and moOde audio - both are simple enough to plug and play. It should be fairly easy task to set it up. I keep switching the sd card - sometime boot with volumio and sometime with moOde.. - there is a slight sound signature difference between them!. i don't have tidal - never subscribed to volumio - i use free version.

HDD plug n play could be a bit trickey - some are saying plugging HDDs direct to allo affect sound quality.. some discussion says SSDs cause switching issues (noise), and some says pen drives are best.. so far, i used to stream wav/flac and mp3 files from compueter over the network (using bubble upnp as the interface); also used pendrives/ hdds directly plugged in - i'm yet to experiment more to figureout quality difference.

Thanks,
Noble
Hi noblejose
I have placed an order for Allo digione signature player yesterday with a battery pack also.Can you please guide about the specification of the cells that are required for the battery pack and what is the min. and max. voltage that can be fed to the clean side of digione player?
Thanks & regards

Good to have you back Imtiaz! Can you use headhones?
If that is possible then a good wireless headphone will work from your phone.

I use Sony WH XM3 1000 wireless noise cancelling headphones while travelling and they work great.

Regards

p.s. Wireless not needed if your phone has a headphone jack.

Apologies for the off topic.....
Hi Nikhil ,
By any chance, did you use XM3 is taking calls. Hearing a lot of bad reviews on that aspect. Almost have decided to go for it but these feedback are forcing to rethink and I am now very much confused between XM3, Bose 700 and Sennheiser 550ii.
Kindly help with your experience.

Sanjay

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back