Back to tubes

Hi Sid
Even with the right speaker you dont face an issue of boomy low end as its placed in a corner with no breathing space either from the rear or side walls?

I can understand that you dont do any critical listening but does not a sound imbalance spoil the joy of listening music?

I agree that the placement does offer some compromise especially since I was using the BE718 with the odyssey stratos and parasound pre in my main room and enjoyed the sound tremendously, but really other than the shallow soundstage and mitigation in bass the sound is not all that bad based on where i am listening from. In my bedroom most of my listening is done without me in the sweetspot (the equilateral triangle thing) so I am not really looking for pinpoint imaging or a widely spread soundstage. More of a background music that is soothing and relaxing rather than bright and in-your-face sound. For this pupose these speakers are doing a great job - a little overkill maybe - but aesthetically they are also pleasing so that my better half does not mind having these in the bedroom and as you know WAF or SAF is more important than great sound anyday:lol:.
cheers
Sid

I agree that the placement does offer some compromise especially since I was using the BE718 with the odyssey stratos and parasound pre in my main room and enjoyed the sound tremendously, but really other than the shallow soundstage and mitigation in bass the sound is not all that bad based on where i am listening from. In my bedroom most of my listening is done without me in the sweetspot (the equilateral triangle thing) so I am not really looking for pinpoint imaging or a widely spread soundstage. More of a background music that is soothing and relaxing rather than bright and in-your-face sound. For this pupose these speakers are doing a great job - a little overkill maybe - but aesthetically they are also pleasing so that my better half does not mind having these in the bedroom and as you know WAF or SAF is more important than great sound anyday:lol:.
cheers
Sid

Hi Sid
Thats what I thought. An overkill for your casual listening :)

Maybe you dont listen to that high volume for you to make the differenece in low frequencies from both the speakers

Another setup in my living room - this time anchored by the excellent dynaudio focus 110 and powered by a cyrus III amp with a Musical fidelity triple threat dac and an oppo DVD player as a source. I used to use the cyrus 8 which broke down:mad:. Even this setup is somewhat of a compromise with the speakers in the bookshelf but just as my bedroom setup decor concerns overweigh sound quality.
Cheers
Sid

Last edited:
sidvee,

Amazing amount of equipment you have. Quantity wise and Quality wise. I am going up and down to get my one room setup.

Way to go man.

Thanks
pandu

sidvee,

Amazing amount of equipment you have. Quantity wise and Quality wise. I am going up and down to get my one room setup.

Way to go man.

Thanks
pandu

Thanks Pandu. You have some great equipment as well -Love those paradigms. What is more important is that you are taking time to get the right room acoustically and IMO that matters the most.
Cheers
Sid

Yes indeed, makes me want to make a trip to Hyderabad to listen to audition your system and play a round of golf with you!

George

George you are most welcome any time, it will be a pleasure - but beware the Boulder hills course is quite challenging so make sure you carry an extra sleeve of golf balls:lol:
Cheers
Sid

Recently upgraded my amp and speakers to Ayon Spirit & Usher Mini Dancer DMD

Last edited:
And last but not least my humble 5.1 HT set up anchored by a denon 2310 rcvr. with a oppo bdp 83 and a oppo 981 feeding the paradigm studio v3 series speakers, SVS sub and a Panasonic PTAE900 720p projector firing onto a 106 inch Elite screen.
Cheers
Sid

Last edited:
Very nice setup, Sidvee!

In your bedroom setup, are the Ushers sounding OK even with the right speaker being placed almost flush against the walls (side and back)?

Very nice setup, Sidvee!

In your bedroom setup, are the Ushers sounding OK even with the right speaker being placed almost flush against the walls (side and back)?

Thanks vortex,
As I mentioned before there is a compression in soundstage depth and mitigation of bass but the be tweeter is as sweet as ever. Also since most of my listening is casual it sounds great for that application.
Cheers
Sid

Hi Sid
I dont how you can manage but just try the following for your living room setup :)
In the cabinet you have empty space in front of where the speakers are placed right now. Why not make some neat looking stands which will match the other furniture and make the speakers go a little higher. Precisely till the shelf which is above of where the speakers are placed right now. I think that will get the speakers till the ear level if you are sitting on a sofa.
Also with the stands it can give the speakers the isolation needed to have the right sound. I am not talking about making the regular speaker stands. Maybe something innovative which you can place on the cabinet where the TV is also placed, having a not so thick column so it does not in between the shelves. Hope you understand what I am thinking

Hi Sid
I dont how you can manage but just try the following for your living room setup :)
In the cabinet you have empty space in front of where the speakers are placed right now. Why not make some neat looking stands which will match the other furniture and make the speakers go a little higher. Precisely till the shelf which is above of where the speakers are placed right now. I think that will get the speakers till the ear level if you are sitting on a sofa.
Also with the stands it can give the speakers the isolation needed to have the right sound. I am not talking about making the regular speaker stands. Maybe something innovative which you can place on the cabinet where the TV is also placed, having a not so thick column so it does not in between the shelves. Hope you understand what I am thinking

Thanks Rikhav - I know exactly what you are saying. I measured the height of the dynaudio's tweeter and it is approx. my ear height (I believe 36")when I sit on the couch opposite the speakers. Now regarding the isolation of the speaker from the bookshelf - that is a great idea - I have a few options - I have soft footers and some brass isolation cones. Let me check out both, I am leaning towards the brass cones. That should definitely help out the bass definition and extension.
Cheers,
Sid

No probs have played many years ago at Bolaram, including crossing roads. If I lose a few balls ,can drown my sorrows in some prime Hyderabadi biriyani. Today I played 9 holes with a buddy who got a hole in one in the back nine and is getting a hamper-I think 6 bottles...Challenges are to be met and conquered-there is a Holy Grail waiting at the end of the rainbow!

George you are most welcome any time, it will be a pleasure - but beware the Boulder hills course is quite challenging so make sure you carry an extra sleeve of golf balls:lol:
Cheers
Sid

No probs have played many years ago at Bolaram, including crossing roads. If I lose a few balls ,can drown my sorrows in some prime Hyderabadi biriyani. Today I played 9 holes with a buddy who got a hole in one in the back nine and is getting a hamper-I think 6 bottles...Challenges are to be met and conquered-there is a Holy Grail waiting at the end of the rainbow!

Hi George - Yup I play the Bolarum course - think it is called the Bison by the army guys - about once a month since it is a long haul from my place. That road crossing is freaky man. I always get psyched looking at the road and am scared that I may hit a person on a two wheeler:lol:. I frequently play the Hyderabad golf club course near Golconda and the Boulder hills. Wow - hole in one - cool. In about 15 years of playing I have never had that happen. BTW just kidding about the balls.
Cheers
Sid

Thanks Rikhav - I know exactly what you are saying. I measured the height of the dynaudio's tweeter and it is approx. my ear height (I believe 36")when I sit on the couch opposite the speakers. Now regarding the isolation of the speaker from the bookshelf - that is a great idea - I have a few options - I have soft footers and some brass isolation cones. Let me check out both, I am leaning towards the brass cones. That should definitely help out the bass definition and extension.
Cheers,
Sid

Hi Sid
Good to know that the speaker tweeters are already at ear level
I also think that the brass cones will help. Let us know how did they help

Thanks Myriad. I am using a pair of Quicksilver Audio Mid Mono monoblocks which are a push pull design and output about 55w a piece with KT88 tubes.
Cheers
Sid

My My what an amazing amount of equipments you have. Best wishes for happy listening. BTW what was the price of the monoblocks ?

Sid i dont want to come near by hyderabad. If i come across or happened to across hyd i will have a temptation to visit your place. Then all my gears will seem nothing. Enjoying music inch by inch. Congratulations for having so tolerable cooperating life partner. Hope you both too have same line of thought. CHEERS. I MISSED YOUR PASSIVE

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back