Be-718 Bookshelf speaker

jjn

Hello, Planning to buy a pair of used Be-718 bookshelf . My existing set up is with DENON AVR1311 combined with Tower speakers , front and SW all from Polk audio. Is the DENON powerful enough to get best results from Be-718 ? Kindly help

It's not a speaker to be used with an avr.
You will need much refined amplifier and a high current amplifier to make it sound decent

Hello, Planning to buy a pair of used Be-718 bookshelf . My existing set up is with DENON AVR1311 combined with Tower speakers , front and SW all from Polk audio. Is the DENON powerful enough to get best results from Be-718 ? Kindly help
Yes. The denon will drive it reasonably well although not to full potential of the speaker. And in the future you can upgrade the amp and the speakers performance will only scale up with it

Last edited:
Is the DENON powerful enough to get best results from Be-718 ? Kindly help
I don't know what this Denon is capable of for power. I'd say, snap up the speaker if its been well kept and priced right. The BE-718 are one of those loudspeakers that could well be your last speaker. Its that good.

This is actually my old speaker - well cared for :). I took it to the OP's place yesterday (we live in the same community).

We tried this with the above receiver and it seemed to have enough drive to not be much trouble. It will work for the time being.

However the primary issue with the receiver is that it sounds very processed and there is an obvious V curve.

All the mid range is a bit hollowed out and warmth seems to be missing. It is obvious the speaker needs a more nuanced amplifier (either pre-power or integrated).

Right now the Denon receiver is not even scratching the surface of what the speaker is capable of.

This is actually my old speaker - well cared for :). I took it to the OP's place yesterday (we live in the same community).

We tried this with the above receiver and it seemed to have enough drive to not be much trouble. It will work for the time being.

However the primary issue with the receiver is that it sounds very processed and there is an obvious V curve.

All the mid range is a bit hollowed out and warmth seems to be missing. It is obvious the speaker needs a more nuanced amplifier (either pre-power or integrated).

Right now the Denon receiver is not even scratching the surface of what the speaker is capable of.
Believe me when i say the. When i read this thread for the first time i remembered you and that you had this speaker once and later on ayon cdp and McCormack amp with it without actually even knowing it would be actually yours.

I also felt the same when i read OP would be powering it with the denon reciever. It will play sound but not even to 50 percent level what this speaker is capable of

If the AVR has a Pre out then adding any 1/2 decent power amp ( perhaps Class D) should take care of that ?

There is a Nad 372 for sale in the classifieds if that will work as most NADs have a power in option to work as a power amp.
I am assuming the OP still needs this to work as a HT as well. hence AVR as pre ( with direct out option) will work for stereo.

If the AVR has a Pre out then adding any 1/2 decent power amp ( perhaps Class D) should take care of that ?
Yes this is exactly what I advised him - get a power amp of decent quality first. Then buy a preamp if necessary later.

There is a Nad 372 for sale in the classifieds if that will work as most NADs have a power in option to work as a power amp.
I am assuming the OP still needs this to work as a HT as well. hence AVR as pre ( with direct out option) will work for stereo.
Have tried a nad power and pre combo once with this speaker. There was absolutely no synergy. Would not advice getting that. Sound was bloated and there was no involvement.

I tried these out with my 300+ W/ch O&B monoblocks (Aniket Das, adas on the forum) the other day. That was a stellar combo. One option is to get that as a power amp.

The other amp which might work is Quad. Even an old school threshold or adcom or Usher's own amp will work pretty well.

Last edited:
I don't know what this Denon is capable of for power. I'd say, snap up the speaker if its been well kept and priced right. The BE-718 are one of those loudspeakers that could well be your last speaker. Its that good.
I still miss my usher mini dancer 1, the bigger brother of be718. The tweeters were special.

My Harman AVR 240 has a full set of pre outs. Six of them. What's the best way to use them please?

no Usher speakers like power and are better run with a little current.. 80-100w channel should flesh them out a bit. I use Bel canto 2.7 DAC and REF500S power amp. Great sound. I can recommend Musical Fidelity amps too ' although I did not find them very reliable.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back