Beasts of hifi audios

Raj, congrats on your purchase. Btw did you find a dealer to source the audiolab cdp before you ordered from UK ? Anyone else knows ?

Not fair as taxes in Delhi are one of least in India and I find all electronic/computer stuff in Mumbai costlier as compared to Delhi.

I agree. It seems like an unfair deal that I got.

I have come in contact with a few dealers here and I find hifimart to be the most reasonable. They provide good deals and the prices include shipping too !

Anyway the money lost is not going to come back. I could have bought some music with the savings though. Time for me to go ahead and enjoy the amp.

Nice set-up there Raj.

BTW I heard with the new firmware you can have a digital pre-amp in the Audiolab 8200CD. You can connect the CD-P directly to the power amp and control the volume through the remote.

If you can have a dealer take the order directly from India you can get 20% VAT waived off. So the effective price would be about 610 + shipping + customs.

I was using a Marantz amp to do the role of the pre-amp with this CD player intially as I was not very sure on the capabilities of the 8200cd as a pre-amp. But I have now removed Marantz from my set-up and the sound quality has defnitely not gone down.

I was using a Marantz amp to do the role of the pre-amp with this CD player intially as I was not very sure on the capabilities of the 8200cd as a pre-amp. But I have now removed Marantz from my set-up and the sound quality has defnitely not gone down.

Glad its working for you.
The only downside with 8200CD unlike its CDQ counterpart is it doesn't take analog inputs otherwise its a quite capable with digital sources.

BTW what amp and speakers you have in the chain?

Hi All,

Repeating the point put by JK Chaos about putting the cd player above the amp. Is that ok to do?

I was planning to place my Philips DVD player above my Yamaha RXV 800 but was apprehensive that the heat from Yamaha can cause harm to the dvd player.

So is it ok to do such stack up or not?

Thank you,
Pushkar

rule of thumb: keep the heat-generating components on top. It gives them the best, unhindered, ventilation, and means they are not heating up other stuff. It's good for all the kit, whereas the opposite is bad for both.

Bartletts hifi is one big dealer for Audiolab in London. Their in store prices were slightly cheaper than online prices. You can write to them asking the possibility of taking order from India.
Last time when I spoke to them they told me they can take orders from India but their concern is the hi cost of shipping which would equal or higher the price in India. But I believe they are not aware of the Hi-fi scene in India and can get a good chunk of business dealing this way.

If ordering one I would recommend wait for few weeks until the new upgraded CD-P's are available before placing your order. The new ones have a better transformer from a new vendor which according to many has a slight improvement in SQ. The display has been changed to OLED for better visibility.

Hi ravi,

I have just sent them an email. Let's see if it is possible- may be a group buy:eek:

--
helium
Marantz Cdp 6003 -> SB Classic -> / Audiolab 8000A + Vintage Akai Speaker SW175 / Highly modified B&W DM4 -> Lyrita IC + Cables => MUSIC

Glad its working for you.
The only downside with 8200CD unlike its CDQ counterpart is it doesn't take analog inputs otherwise its a quite capable with digital sources.

QUOTE]

Could you elabrate what this means- it doesn't take analog inputs?

Thanks in anticipation.

rule of thumb: keep the heat-generating components on top. It gives them the best, unhindered, ventilation, and means they are not heating up other stuff. It's good for all the kit, whereas the opposite is bad for both.

This may not be possible always. The most heat generating equipment are amps or preamps and they weigh minimum 10 - 30kg. Keeping them at the top of the stack will be risky.

IMO, All equipment with top ventilators should be given enough space at the top and the most heavy equipment with good strong chassis should be kept at the bottom.

Last edited:
Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back