Before I Bang My Head On The Wall, Help Me Out, People. Need A Complete Stereo System

vasishta.sushant

The journey has been quite long and I am still not there.

I won't really start repeating it again so in a nutshell, had Onkyo 3300 coupled with Polk Audio Tsi-300. Not so great stereo performance and hunger for better system made me sold the HTiB in less than 2 months after I bought it.

Also owing to space and preference constraints (stereo music over movie experience), I've now made my mind to go for a stereo system.

The constraints:
1) Speakers would be my existing Polk Audio Tsi 300 (I can't tell how much I love Polk sound)
2) Amplifier is still not decided. Looking at Marantz PM6004/5004, Denon 710AE, some NAD and all that I can seek under 25K.
3) The major hiccup is selecting the source (the primary reason for this thread). My major collection is in either 320kbps MP3s and FLACs so I don't care about getting the CD player. AND I don't to turn on PC everytime I need to listen to the music (can use my netbook but then netbook+DAC+IR Receiver+Harmony 625 makes me feel so entangled in lots of equipment). I can see that there are lot of options for CD Players but I seldom see anything that is based on USB/Hard drive based storage. Of course there are options but the price kills the deal.

Can you guys help me decide something for the amplification and some "standalone" source that can read my data on USB ?

On another note, there are options like Cambridge Audio One. The standalone unit without the Speakers would work for me but not sure about its availability.

Then there are options of using multimedia players but without any user interface screen, they are of no use.

I don't even mind getting an AVR like Marantz 1601 and Denon 1911 that perfectly suffice my usability needs but I dont think they'll do any justice to stereo music.

All I want is an arrangement, wherein I can plug in my USB drive with all my stuff in that, pick up the remote, lie on my bed and immerse myself in the music. Never did I thought that it'd be that tough.

Re: Before I bang my head on the wall, help me out people. Need a complete stereo sys

Peachtree Audio Nova....if your budget permits....I remember ARN dealing with PA..

nova_all.jpg

Amp
ST mos-fet amp modules
80w/ch at less than 1% distortion in to 6 ohms
Internally wired like Sigma Servo control (two wires from amp to terminal) for better damping

PreAmp
Hybrid tube design (6922)
6.5V output @ 2.0V input
<30 Ohms at the output stage
Class A output stage
Switching relays in the signal path
Polypropylene caps in the signal path

Headphone Amp (shared with the Pre-Out stage)

Suitable for all electro-dynamic headphones
Frequency response: DC ~ 100 kHz +/- 0.1dB
Voltage gain: 10dB
Maximum output voltage: 7Vrms
output impedance: <30ohms
Maximum output power: 100mW into 8Ohm / 300mW into 150Ohm / 150mW into 300Ohm
Class A output stage
6922 Tube is in circuit

DAC

5 digital inputs 1- USB, 2 coax, 2 optical
24/96 upsampling ESS9006 DAC
11 regulated power supplies
Organic capacitors
Class A output stage
Transformer coupled digital Inputs for ground isolation
Galvanically isolated USB stage.
>122db S/N
<1picosecond jitter measured at the Master Clock (Super Clock)

Re: Before I bang my head on the wall, help me out people. Need a complete stereo sys

How do you plan to browse the tracks? Display?
What about dvd player or media player (plays flac) with a Dac?

Edit. Peachtree nova is 50k plus. Arn used to deal iirc.

Another option is squeezebox touch.

@Venkus_Narelius
Peachtree Audio Nova again needs to be hooked to the PC. Its more of a USB DAC than a standalone USB player. Also it costs too much.

@iaudio
Thats what I said. Even if I buy a media player, it wont do any good. Without any interface, its of no use.

I can look at a CD player with USB but then I'll be paying 80% of the money for something I won't ever use. I am very firm that I wont be using any CDs. All I'd use is data loaded on to the USB.

Also I dont think I should spend money on the media player since my PS3 will serve me the same purpose which I don't want to employ here. I need a dedicated device.

Or you can get Logitech Touch and wire to an amp of your choice to power your polks.

81luUlS33YL._AA1500_.jpg

You can connect your Hardisks to Touch for music play.

It'd have been nice if Sonos had a USB port along with ethernet port.

I saw it an skipped it without giving any deep thought. This one sure looks little interesting. But the price is a bummer. Still let some other suggestions pour in. In the meanwhile, I'll try to do my research on this Squeezy !

Denon amp matches with polk well.

Combination of denon cd player and amplifier will cost me like 40K.

Logitech squeezebox costs 20K :(

Got me more confused.

I am thinking of like 20K for amp and then 10K for the source.

Contact GeorgeO or Santhol2 for advice on best deals for logitech sb.

Sell away your current mobile phone and add proceeds to your budget.
Get a nokia n8. It supports direct usb connection.
Download any player that supports flac.
Use its headphone port to connect to your amp.
N8 was first motherboard to support direct usb link. That was 1 yr ago. See what other phones do you have option of. There has to be many more now.
Borrow a phone from someone who has it and demo the setup.
Finally, Write a user review when you are up n running.

Hi vs,

Why cant you try the Yamaha AS-500 about 85 wpc and costing around 23k. It has had 5* rating in whathifi.com.

N.Murali

Entsurgeon, afaik,usb on the go is still not smooth in operation, neither is hp out a great way to take o/p to your amp.

Nor flacs and 320 kbps mp3s.
I told him to demo it. Shouldn t be too tough.
And headphone out isnt that bad either.
If he want a solution including amp at his budget, this is definitely worth considering.
Agreed, usb links are jerky, so much so that if you use usb files to burn a cd or get a printout, you are advised to first copy it to your pc s hd drive.
Whats more. Usb files could be copied to on board device memory. Thats never jerky.
And with 32/64gb at hand, you may not even use usb directly.
When op has ruled out cdp, dacs and htib this is a reasonable solution.
He can even go for a routine music phone and a pc card reader, transferring his files to sd card and listening. That bypasses need for n8.

I already have Dell Streak with me and FLACs do work (I've bought Poweamp from android market). But the problem is the headphone out. I can clearly listen to a constant hiss in that. On top of that, I couldn't find any PDMI connector through which I could get a line out.

Also I need a remote control to control my listening. At the moment, I am thinking of using my netbook as my source (FLAC + WASAPI), routed through nuforce UDAC to the Amplifier. But then again, I'll have to control the foobar using one of the android applications which is nothing more than basic. Needless to say the whole arrangement is very messy since I won't be able to use my netbook while I am listening to my music (unless I am sitting close to my amplifier).

I guess my only solace would be something that can process USB Mass Storage data onboard.

And Murali, I am glad to hear that Yamaha costs 23K. Its a viable option but again without the source setup defined, I won't jump the gun. Will surely keep it in consideration.

Why not give Topping TP30 a try ?????

Ain't that expensive to burn a hole in your pocket @ 4.5k, if it does not work out to your expectations ... has USB feature too ....

Two things.

1) I dont expect miracles from topping. The usable power is quite less and not sure of it will last long. 4.5K is not much but if I dont like it, it'll be 4.5K plus the expense for the new amp.
2) The USB feature on T30 is not of mass storage device but of a USB DAC which I dont want.

Not sure if Cambridge Audio 550A will fit the bill. I've actually made my mind to use my PC as my source (for the time being) and make the spendings on the Amplifier right now.

Two things.

1) I dont expect miracles from topping. The usable power is quite less and not sure of it will last long. 4.5K is not much but if I dont like it, it'll be 4.5K plus the expense for the new amp.
2) The USB feature on T30 is not of mass storage device but of a USB DAC which I dont want.

Not sure if Cambridge Audio 550A will fit the bill. I've actually made my mind to use my PC as my source (for the time being) and make the spendings on the Amplifier right now.

I am also on the same boat since I could not get clear cut solution I am waiting for time being.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back