Before you give up your Chrome Cast Audio

srisaikat

This is kind of mini review or consultation thread after extensive use of Google Chrome Cast Audio in various way with various cables.

About 8 months ago, under this thread (https://www.hifivision.com/threads/chrome-cast-audio.67923/#post-747758) some of us discussed about CCA, I was not satisfied with it's analog out, rather I used it's optical out. But this cable have changed the analog out drastically. Low and Mid was already good with CCA, especially mid was vanishingly artifact free. Many hifi DAC sounds ear fatiguing even through mids, but not the CCA. It is easy sounding without being warm. Main problem with the CCA is the High Frequency which is kind of restricted sounding with the stock cable and also with many hifi branded cable. Canare L-4E6S gave (bought from ghent audio - http://www.ghentaudio.com/part/d11.html or http://www.ghentaudio.com/part/b01.html) a big relief on that restriction. Highly recommended for Google CCA.

Now I only use the analog out as I feel it's analog is superior than optical out with external DAC. Any cable non-believer person can test this cable and see how this canare cable change the expression of a device. I find many of us are selling their CCA, I like to request them to use the referred cable before giving up the CCA. Their might be better cables but those will cost much much more.

It's a Chinese Site. Order directly to Ghent Audio or on Ebay, they also have ebay store on same name. No extra shipping charge, price are all inclusive. I have imported their cable 4 times, not paid any duties ever till now. Generally reach in India within 3 weeks. If you are comfortable then take DIY route with Canare L-4E6S.

Ahh nice info. I do have my eyes open for a Chromecast audio. Currently using the gen 2 with the HDMI cable and even thst is absolutely fantastic. Sounds a lot better than my htpc running foobar or streaming the same content (gaana, Amazon music) as mobile to Chromecast.

I don't think anything can be done to the gen 2 version, it's a use as is. Correct?

MaSh

Timely thread as I am looking for good quality streaming option or device that I can connect to my Pioneer AVR just for music.
Which one is best for music Chromecast or Audio version ? I have a option to get it from the US.

Timely thread as I am looking for good quality streaming option or device that I can connect to my Pioneer AVR just for music.
Which one is best for music Chromecast or Audio version ? I have a option to get it from the US.

If you don't need video streaming, screen mirror, etc. and got a good external dac that can connect to your receiver, only then go for the audio version, else the gen 2 HDMI version is quite good. I am using the latter and very happy with it. Had got it to try out and now it's my main stay device for music streaming. It's simplicity has looped in other family members to use the device too.

MaSh

Personally, I find most streaming audio sources have too much highs, and a tube buffer cleans them up
I am using mine with an FX Audio Tube 01 with GE 5654W tubes, and it sounds very nice

Personally, I find most streaming audio sources have too much highs, and a tube buffer cleans them up
I am using mine with an FX Audio Tube 01 with GE 5654W tubes, and it sounds very nice

Tube will not match with Google CCA, high is already tamed there.

Does CCA has an in built DAC? How good is the audio quality compare to the other expensive streamers if someone has an external DAC in the system? Will the sound output depend on the external DAC or the DAC of CCA?

Yes, CCA have in-built DAC. It have very easy and pleasing sound through analog out, just choose a cable (3.5 mm) carefully, a cable with bright nature is required to make best out of it. Mid range stand alone DAC (20k-70k) would make very little difference, not recommended as sound upgrade not quite big when paired with CCA. More premium designed stand alone DAC required to feel the clear difference.

Yes, CCA have in-built DAC. It have very easy and pleasing sound through analog out, just choose a cable (3.5 mm) carefully, a cable with bright nature is required to make best out of it. Mid range stand alone DAC (20k-70k) would make very little difference, not recommended as sound upgrade not quite big when paired with CCA. More premium designed stand alone DAC required to feel the clear difference.
Thanks Saikat for the info. Do u have any suggestion for the 3.5 mm cable.which I can get easily in India.

I bought one chrome cast audio from a forum member and connected it to my Arcam DAC through optical input. Installed google home on my android. Setup was very easy. played few songs on Saavn and the quality seemed good to me. There is an input in the Arcam IR DAC to plug apple devices and I was using the same as streamer. The google chrome cast produces the same quality ( since the external DAC is same Arcam DAC for both). Did not try the 3.5 mm jack. Also I have installed one app and I can stream songs from youtube now which is a good thing. Overall a good product at a good price.

I bought one chrome cast audio from a forum member and connected it to my Arcam DAC through optical input. Installed google home on my android. Setup was very easy. played few songs on Saavn and the quality seemed good to me. There is an input in the Arcam IR DAC to plug apple devices and I was using the same as streamer. The google chrome cast produces the same quality ( since the external DAC is same Arcam DAC for both). Did not try the 3.5 mm jack. Also I have installed one app and I can stream songs from youtube now which is a good thing. Overall a good product at a good price.
which app is that, stream youtube to CCA?

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back