Beginner needing help. Thanks.

Quynh

Hi. I have bought an Akai AP-X1 from a 2ndhand store lately. Do you know if I would need a preamp for it? If yes are there any specific requirements then? This is a really old turn table and I'm confused with the ground wire. I'm a total dummy about these things so really appreciate any kinds of help on this. In addition do you think thi one could produce decent sound or have I spent useless money (20euros)?

Attachments

• 15161135212421012005398.jpg
    15161135212421012005398.jpg
    602.3 KB · Views: 19
You need either a dedicated phono preamp, or an integrated amplifier with phono input. Either of these will have a grounding post. Fix the ground wire to the grounding post of the phono preamp or integrated amplifier.

Thanks alot. And are there any way to connect it to my laptop, which only has one simple earphone input? I have tried searching but they refer to some input slots that I don't find on my laptop. Many thanks.

Attachments

• 1516122946101284219698.jpg
    1516122946101284219698.jpg
    741.4 KB · Views: 7
One more favour please, the turntable dust cover's hinge is broken since it cannot keep the cover open. How can I fix the spring without buying a new hinge? Thank you.

Hi

Firstly welcome to the forum.....

I have not heard of TT (Turn Table) being connected to a Laptop.....if it is possible I am sure most would have been using it that way...TT needs to be connected to a amp which has phono input...

With respect to the Hinge or spring, replacement parts are available limited and sometimes is difficult....depends also on where is your location / country....perhaps someone with a similar TT would have posted a YouTube vide on fixing the dust cover....you can check for the same

You can check online for the same and see if available (parts express)...

Hi

Firstly welcome to the forum.....

I have not heard of TT (Turn Table) being connected to a Laptop.....if it is possible I am sure most would have been using it that way...TT needs to be connected to a amp which has phono input...

With respect to the Hinge or spring, replacement parts are available limited and sometimes is difficult....depends also on where is your location / country....perhaps someone with a similar TT would have posted a YouTube vide on fixing the dust cover....you can check for the same

You can check online for the same and see if available (parts express)...
Thank you very much.

Thanks alot. And are there any way to connect it to my laptop, which only has one simple earphone input? I have tried searching but they refer to some input slots that I don't find on my laptop. Many thanks.

There is no way to connect to a laptop for regular playback because that's not how a turntable is intended to be played.

However if your intent is to rip your vinyl and record onto your laptop, you could use external sound card that has analog to digital conversion.

There is no way to connect to a laptop for regular playback because that's not how a turntable is intended to be played.

However if your intent is to rip your vinyl and record onto your laptop, you could use external sound card that has analog to digital conversion.
Thank you.

:) I can't believe I am saying this :)

To connect a turntable to a laptop you'd need to have a phonostage and connect it to your laptop's audio in jack if your laptop has one. If your laptop does not have an audio input, you'd need to get a phonostage that has a USB output and connect that via USB cable to your laptop. There are simple digital to analogue converters available that will allow you to connect a stereo analogue input on one side and wire your PC via USB, from the other. You can use a non-USB phonostage with your laptop with this kind of device a well. You can then connect your earphones into the laptop and listen to your records.

:) I can't believe I am saying this :)

To connect a turntable to a laptop you'd need to have a phonostage and connect it to your laptop's audio in jack if your laptop has one. If your laptop does not have an audio input, you'd need to get a phonostage that has a USB output and connect that via USB cable to your laptop. There are simple digital to analogue converters available that will allow you to connect a stereo analogue input on one side and wire your PC via USB, from the other. You can use a non-USB phonostage with your laptop with this kind of device a well. You can then connect your earphones into the laptop and listen to your records.
Thanks alot. That sounds feasible.... Why "I can't believe I'm saying this" though ? I know it seems stupid to try to listen to vinyls via laptop but that is just the only kind of speaker I have right now. I am studying abroad so I feel a bit too much to invest in speakers here, as I would not be able to take them together when I leave.
It seems also possible to connect it to headphones, but ppl say it requires designated preamps for headphones. Are the phono preamps that can be used for both headphones and speakers? Thanks alot. Really helpful for a dummy like me.

no offense meant but the funny side of it is....there are statements that are not acceptable to audio enthusiasts (especially vinyl enthusiasts) :)
Using the above method, you can also connect your laptop to a pair of computer speakers so that you don't not have to sit by your laptop to listen.

If your objective is just to listen to the tt using a headphone, the cheapest option might be to buy a used integrated amp with phono inputs and a headphone jack
If you want to connect it to a laptop to record stuff to vinyl , get a behringer UFO 202 - you should be able to use this to listen on headphones as well, but some analog purists might take offense at this :D

If your objective is just to listen to the tt using a headphone, the cheapest option might be to buy a used integrated amp with phono inputs and a headphone jack
If you want to connect it to a laptop to record stuff to vinyl , get a behringer UFO 202 - you should be able to use this to listen on headphones as well, but some analog purists might take offense at this :D
Thanks alot!!
I can understand why this offends vinyls listeners, I guess the quality would go down much and the experience is kind of ruined as well but I just can't invest in good speakers just for a year abroad so.... Thanks alot for the recommendation!!

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back