Beginner to this world of Great Music-Trying to setup first AVR and sound system

Hello All
Thanks for all the help
Yes I am more into music but I am new and don't have enough money to buy two setups for movie and music.
Moreover I have not listened to these sophisticated system (only during recent auditioning and I was blown away even with BA26 stereo setup)
That's why I am thinking of going with marantz as it is having a good deal on hifi mart.
Speakers... I am thinking BA or polk (as krish suggested polk seems better) and later on I'll complete the 5.1 setup.
Or
I can buy jbl5.1 for now and replace the fronts with BA later

PS: my friend is having jbl HTiB with bluray and they sound quite good

PS: my friend is having jbl HTiB with bluray and they sound quite good
AVR only supports active SUB not passive SUB. I think JBL 5.1 has a passive sub.
If you want full 5.1 Package checkout Taga Harmony inMOVE 5.1 Home Theater Package. There are many more, you need to explore.
My suggestion will be to start with an AVR + Front L+R and a SUB. Later add a center and surrounds.

AVR only supports active SUB not passive SUB. I think JBL 5.1 has a passive sub.
If you want full 5.1 Package checkout Taga Harmony inMOVE 5.1 Home Theater Package. There are many more, you need to explore.
My suggestion will be to start with an AVR + Front L+R and a SUB. Later add a center and surrounds.
Hey... AVR supporters passive sub through sub terminals, and and active sub through sub preout. It does both.

Hey... AVR supporters passive sub through sub terminals, and and active sub through sub preout. It does both.
@Naveenbnc @Krishroy2004
Not all AVR Supports passive sub.( May be basic models can support.eg- htib setups) - Through speaker terminals.
Sub pre out (RCA socket)is required on backside of AVR for powering up Active sub.or if you have speaker level input in active sub we can use fl,fr speaker terminals for integrating Sub.
It depends on the AVR model btw.

Last edited:
@Naveenbnc @Krishroy2004
Not all AVR Supports passive sub.( May be basic models can support.eg- htib setups) - Through speaker terminals.
Sub pre out (RCA socket)is required on backside of AVR for powering up Active sub.or if you have speaker level input in active sub we can use fl,fr speaker terminals for integrating Sub.
It depends on the AVR model btw.
Thank you kalyan :)
I was thinking most of the avrs have terminals for passive sub, and the only downside would be the power is divided to all speakers and a sub.

Last edited:
Thank you kalyan:)
I was thinking most of the avrs have terminals for passive sub, and the only downside would be the power is divided to all speakers and a sub.
Naveenbnc,
Correct but only HTIB's has passive and active both terminals for SUB. Marantz 1508 or Yamaha RX485 don't have passive sub terminal.
As per information provided by @tusharshukla1991 he is planning to buy Marantz 1508.

Dear FM, I have started my AV journey with Denon AVR 2113 and JBL SCS200.5 speakers system. Later on as time progresses and budget permit, first i changed front speakers to Boston Acoustics A360 floor standing speakers then surround with Monitor Audio BXFX and subwoofer with Polk DSW Pro 550i. Now the old satalite speakers from JBL will be use for Dolby Atmos speakers once upgraded to Dolby Atmos enable AVR. This may be good route for decent AV system else go for AVR and good front speakers and later on add one by one component as budget permit.

Hello All,

After reading a lot on this forum and my small budget I have decided to go with a good AVR first to make it future proof so instead of marantz 1508, I think I'll go for marantz 1608 as it has atmos as well.
So here is what my options are:
Marantz 1608 or yamaha rx583
Speakers: boston a26, polk s15 or any other in the range.

I am planning to buy next month as soon as i get my salary

@tusharshukla1991

Welcome to HFV.

If your preference is more towards music then Marantz will be the best deal.....I am also more inclined towards music than movies.....(80 / 20 %)

Most speakers blend well with Marantz....best speakers for easy matching are Bostons, B&W, Polk (T series, RTiA series,), Wharfedale, Jamo (S & C series), Bose (Acoustimass Cubes & Bookshelf speakers), Dali, Cambridge Audio, etc)

Audition where possible.

It is the right approach to build the system slowly. There are dedicated owner threads of Yamaha, Taga, Pioneer, Denon, Onkyo, Marantz etc where you can get first hand information and feedback on systems used by members.....please go through that.

There are limited places in Pune for audition etc. ..if you can come over to Mumbai, there are many many places you can visit and audition.....(Your call to decide if possible).

All the best....read all details, see some youtube first hand review of users of the brand or system to get an idea and take the plunge

Thanks @efernand1... Ya even I am more inclined towards marantz but I read that Yamaha's service is better than marantz. Everywhere i checked, apart from hifimart marantz nr1609 is around 70k but it is 45k on hifimart
Is there any other site where I can't find such discount in Yamaha as well.
I hear classic rock and metal a lot, which speaker brand you think will be better.

In my opinion, Yamaha works 50% & 50% for movies and music.....the Aventage series is the best and also the high end models of the V series.

I was a Yamaha fan till the late 90s.....then tried multiple AVRs and Amps and now finally settled with Marantz SR series for the last 5+ years....

You may get stuff cheaper online but you need to check if warranty is entertained by the service center.

Most warranties are one year and if the AVR is used as per instructions conservatively, nothing will go on for more than a year....unless there is a design and bug flaw in that model!...Warranty is indeed a sad story in India....internationally warranty is 3-5 years.....

MZ Audio mostly supplies Taga, Bostons and Marantz to most of the dealers...including Hifi Mart........servicing wont be an issue.....else Marantz would have not existed or done well in India......

Choice is yours....

Speakers... I believe Bostons or Jamos will work well. You can also look at BIC America.

Hi Tushar,
Before purchasing any AVR check if the service center for that brand is available in your city. This will save you from lots of trouble.
I purchased Yamaha because service center is available in my city. For any other brand, I have to carry the AVR to another city for servicing.
Yahama RX-V585 will cost around 46 to 47K.

from hifimart marantz nr1609 is around 70k but it is 45k on hifimart
The actual price of Marantz NR1609 /1608 should be around 45 to 46K. For 70K you can get Yamaha Aventage series, and Aventage is far greater then Marantz NR1609.

Hi @Krishroy2004 :

My budget is 50k or less.. if you check on amazon or some sites, marantz 1508 is 41k and marantz 1608 is 55k but on hifimart marantz is 1508 is 33k and marantz 1608 is 48k.

I have one more question: If I buy BA26 right now, what is the cheapest way to play them without AVR?? (i hope it's not a stupid ques :p)

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back