Benchmark Dac2 L

subhobh

Just picked it Benchmark Dac2 L for my audition

My first impression is, a fantastic product not form the audiophile listening standpoint rather than a studio mastering device standpoint. Because the reproduction is exact or closest to the recording! Very neutral and dynamic.

DSC_0277.jpg

DSC_0279.jpg

I've got its elder brother DAC2 HGC and I have similar impression. Benchmark is well known for its faithful reproduction of the signal, add to that the warmth and sweetness of the ESS Sabre chips and you have something that is just right! :)

It is looking like a studio product - quite rugged & boxy. A detailed insight would be helpful. How does it compare with your AP Thiyaga DAC or any other DACs that you may have previously used.

Thanks!

I had purchased the DAC1 shortly after it was introduced into the market and the concept was quite new. Not only did it sound great mated with my TEAC VRDS 10, even my humble Pioneer DVD player developed audiophile pretensions....

It was a super product then, and I am sure the latest versions would be even better.

Cheers

It has a rep for being one of the better DACs in the market, and the volune control is a good added feature absent in many DACs. Good luck!

Really good buy. it is a really good dac and one of the very neutral dacs around, just as a source should be
it somehow has wrong perception that it sounds analytical and cold, which is rather sad as this is a great VFM

it somehow has wrong perception that it sounds analytical and cold, which is rather sad as this is a great VFM

I had the original benchmark Dac1, before the usb version about 6 years ago. At-least to me at that time it sounded cool and rather dry and analytical (this was the same version that was highly acclaimed and when benchmark became popular on the domestic audio scene crossing over from the pro market). I replaced it with a musical fidelity xdac v8 which at the time I felt was much better. Of-course I have not heard one since then so I do not know how the modern ones like the OP's sound. I had a similar experience with another pro DAC from Prism, but that is a different story.
Cheers,
Sid

Really good buy. it is a really good dac and one of the very neutral dacs around, just as a source should be
Hi
Had a lookin to the elder brother (HGC) in Kolkata recently through an all Usher set up.(used as a preamp /dac).
It sounded really good and surprisingly sweet.Have not heard the DAC1 , but it seems the analytical matter has been sorted out. Possibilities open up with the analog bypass and the nice sounding pre and native DSD capability to boot.
cheers

Back