BenQ W1070 in Mangalore or Bangalore

Sash,

Seller (from Bangalore) claims that this price is inclusive of all taxes and carries Bill and warranty; also promises to give a demo and deliver a factory packed piece of latest prodction; says, the product carries serial no. that can be registered with BenQ India for the purpose of service and warranty!

I bought a BenQ W1070 plus Harman-Kardon AVR-70 with JBL SCS200.5 from DNI Home theatre, Bangalore.

1) Buying Experience:
Thanks to all that I learned from this site and along with my own personal research, I had decided to go for BenQ W1070. But I still wanted to make a side-by-side comparison of this projector with Epson 6100. I had zeroed down on a seller from Bombay and two from Bangalore. Only DNI agreed to give me a demonstration. Finally, therefore, I decided on paying a visit to DNI Bangalore.

This shop is run by one Mr. Alex. Did I say Shop? It is in fact a three-storey building with 5 independent theatres inside. Alex is not a seller in the regular sense of that word. He does complete turn-key projects in home theatres from 20 lakhs to several crores!!!. I must say here that he agrees to give you a demonstration only if you are a serious and committed buyer. That is because once he agrees to meet you, he spends more than three to four hours with you along with 5-7 assistants running around fixing things up and taking things apart.

I got my stuff for a mouth watering price (please forgive the clich). But I have been requested not to divulge the price. Please contact Mr Alex (9845283741, Bangalore) for your negotiations.

The projector I purchased comes with receipt (fully tax paid); warranty card and a serial number that has been registered with BenQ India for the purpose of warranty and service.

Picture quality of the projector is very good and my AVR and speaker set up are run off the mill and nothing extraordinary. I will try to post some pictures if I can (I am still setting up and wading through a mess of wires. I am now waiting for a 1KV APC sine wave UPS).

Thanks all members for tips and guidance. A Great site indeed.

Re: Acer H5370BD - Impressions

friends,
benq w1070 available at $799 today. The landing cost to india is 70k.
please advice is it safe to buy directly from amazon.com

please guide

uttam

Re: Acer H5370BD - Impressions

friends,
benq w1070 available at $799 today. The landing cost to india is 70k.
please advice is it safe to buy directly from amazon.com

please guide

uttam

When I checked for above in Amazon .. it says ships only within USA..!
Could you pls send me link which says .. its shipped international?

Regards,
Shrinivas D

I thought so as well and bought a fortnight ago. Deciding on a screen now and doing all kinds of measurements on bare wall and enjoying the big screen.Wife was all cross at spending 85K (and that too without letting her know!). Big picture has melted her.

This site has been immensely helpful. Thanks a billion!!

friends,

my benq w1070 arrived today morning without any trouble from amazone within 5 days.
I am very much grateful to this forum for this "broad vision", especialy many thanks to santy and just4kix . here are some pics taken by galaxy y in ambient light.

Attachments

• 2014-01-01 11.02.30.jpg
    2014-01-01 11.02.30.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 96
  • 2014-01-01 11.03.13.jpg
    2014-01-01 11.03.13.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 96
  • 2014-01-01 11.04.32.jpg
    2014-01-01 11.04.32.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 96
  • 2014-01-01 11.05.28.jpg
    2014-01-01 11.05.28.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 96
  • 2014-01-01 13.58.00.jpg
    2014-01-01 13.58.00.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 97
contd..

the source is asus mini media player and with a video rca cable and projected on a ivory painted wall.
I will need more help from you to set up a budget ht

I am very much happy with the pic quality
thanks again friends

uttam

Attachments

• 2014-01-01 14.02.59.jpg
    2014-01-01 14.02.59.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 97
  • 2014-01-01 14.03.32.jpg
    2014-01-01 14.03.32.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 96
  • 2014-01-01 14.03.49.jpg
    2014-01-01 14.03.49.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 97
I have a W1080ST which is technically the same Projector, the picture quality is very good for the Price

friends,

my benq w1070 arrived today morning without any trouble from amazone within 5 days.
I am very much grateful to this forum for this "broad vision", especialy many thanks to santy and just4kix . here are some pics taken by galaxy y in ambient light.

Congrats Uttam!!!
If possible, do post more pics with full HD source and 3D experience ... !!
BTW, how is the fan noise? I read that W1070 fan noise is bit noticiable.

uttam,

congratulations. I wish you many years of big screen enjoyment. What would you do for the screen. My own proposed dedicated HT on terrace seems to be taking a long time. For the present I am using the wall. Intending to re-do the wall with asian acrylic-latex paint, satin finish and try it out.

congratulations, again.

thanks shrinivas and dhar

its fantastic to watch movies on a big screen.
the pic quality is very good even on a painted wall.
The wall where i intend to project is painted with dark maroon colour. it will be difficult to make it white thats why i am hesitating. instead i am thinking to project on a plywood frame painted with acrylic of desired size aslo checking other alternatives too.

btw i am searching for ceiling mount and 3d glasses. found this mount on ebay http://www.ebay.in/itm/200889757877?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_3922wt_1039

is it ok?

here is one more snap had yday night

thanks uttam

Attachments

• 2014-01-01 20.25.58.jpg
    2014-01-01 20.25.58.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 71
Uttam,

Thanks for the snap. I bought 2 pieces of 144KHz Sainsonic rechargeable 3d glasses from a seller called "nsin4298" from ebay.in. The total price for two pieces was 5100/-. The glasses arrived well packed and are now working fine.

As I told you, I am also in your situation. The plywood option would limit you to 8X4Ft screen. You might apply two coats of puttee; 2 coats of primer and then try either acrylic-latex satin finish wood paint or Asian paint wall paint (either matte or satin); Please let me know what you are going to do;

In my experience you must have more that 15 feet distance from screen to enjoy good 3D experience (personal preference, nothing scientific here); If you are trying MKV 3D rips, remember to set screen resolution to 1080i otherwise you wont get sid-by-side menu option in BenQ.

I will look into the ebay links you have put up and get back to you. I have also considered wall mountable pull down screen; but I have learnt most of them will develop wrinkles and waves sooner or later (sooner the cheaper); Grandview 120" screen was offered to me for 17000/-Rs. by a Bangalore seller and I believe that is as cheap as it goes. It is my very personal view that it is not worth spending so much on a screen which might last only for a couple of years. That said, I must hasten to state that I have read other members here who claim to have used pull-downs for years without an issue. All said, I am only repeating what I have read and gathered and have no personal experience in this matter

Good Luck and happy times again.

Last edited:
rajudhs,

The link you mention in your post for the 1.07 firmware upgrade for W1070 does not have that file anymore. I have googled around but could not find the upgrade file. Anyway, I want to know (since you have successfully upgraded to the latest firmware version) whether the upgrade makes any significant difference for the good. Please let me know.

Thanks in advance

W1070 Version 1.06 is a must have.

- as it has good amount of fixes + 3D support for many more resolutions + HDMI handshake issues fixed, as everyone has faced this issue worldwide, including myself.

The fixes are thus for the w1070 firmwares:

Firmware 1.03

Problem-1- To improve the flickering when smart ECO mode + dynamic setting
Problem-2- To add Background color in OSD

Firmware 1.04

Problem-1- When at low temperature environment, fan oil would become thickened, cause rotational speed of
fan cant reach target then shut down.
Problem-2- Keystone bug: When playing 3D (Frame packing), and then switch to 2D, and keystone value
cant be kept.

Firmware 1.05

Problem-1- ISF setting cannot be saved
Problem-2- compatibility problem for some unique 3D DVD players(Philips)
Problem-3- OSD Swedish language of on& off wrong translation

Firmware 1.06

Fixes:
-1- Hg bridge problem symptom: cant turn on a projector, but NDF after transportation; few cases found in BQC.
There is Hg (Mercury) in a lamp bulb. Whenever the liquid mercury make the Short-circuit of electrodes of the lamp, the unit cant
be turn on. To change the cooling status and lamp ignition behavior can make mercury condense at different locations of a bulb.
Due to Hg (Mercury) changing the location in lamp bulbs during transportation, it will be NDF in ASP.
-2- To improve power-on while system initializing
-3- To improve Philips DVD compatibility issue(BQC)
-4- Add 3D format as appendix
-5- Adjust Audio Curve for BQjp
-6- Japanese OSD correction for Cool and Warm (BQjp)
-7-To enhance HDMI searching speed
-8- To update RC code for new remote RCV011
-9- To modify the gain value to improve HDMI signal searching ability
-10- To add model name W1250 in Factory OSD (only W1070)

Added support for 3D formats:
1280x720p@59/94/60 Hz -- SBS added
1280x720p@50Hz - SBS added
[email protected]/24Hz - SBS added
[email protected]/60Hz - Top Bottom - added
1920x1080p@50Hz - Top Bottom - added

Firmware 1.07

ISF Night setting cant be keep after 2D->3D timing changed
To keep lamp hour after reset all setting in USE OSD
To improve the 32 gray level via PS3 HDMI
Modify picture mode of power off icon
Modify HSG setting in No signal condition

So as you can see above, 1.06 is must have and 1.07 is not mandatory for most users, but heard 1.07 has also improved the HDMI sync times for some users, but we should acknowledge that, as most guys from Tech background will agree with me, that companies wont expose all bug fixes to customers :) i expect there will be lot of fixes hidden :)

Note: W1080ST is technically similar projector but Short Throw Lense, but has firmware numbering and firmware different.

W1080ST Version 1.03 = W1070 Version 1.06
W1080ST Version 1.04 = W1070 Version 1.07

W1080ST is behind in version, due to it being released later than W1070 which is older.

The firmware files are different for these 2 models.

rajudhs,

The link you mention in your post for the 1.07 firmware upgrade for W1070 does not have that file anymore. I have googled around but could not find the upgrade file. Anyway, I want to know (since you have successfully upgraded to the latest firmware version) whether the upgrade makes any significant difference for the good. Please let me know.

Thanks in advance

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back