Benq w1070 vs epson 2030 & more questions.

paimpozhil

Hi Guys

I was planning to buy benq w1070 or 1080st however while i was waiting i saw this new projector 2030 release in USA.

Now i am confused as this is an LCD projector.

Should we wait for indian release? and any news on expected price?

On USA it is about 999 so about 63k+ 16k for sihpping/taxes = 79k. without warrenty.

lamp cost is reasonable 99$. I think much cheaper than Benq .

I do not care much about 3d but it is nice to have.

I do not know if i am Rainbow sensitive either.

Regarding a 100" screen where do you suggest buying it in india?

I saw some prices on deltapage but it seems to offer only 2 types of screen Lite/Instalock.

I also am in the same situation. Can't make up my mind between the 1070 and 2030. A friend has agreed to carry the unit from US.

Projection distance is 12 feet and the setup will be in my bedroom. All suggestions appreciated. Budget is kind of around the 1k$ mark.

P.S. I understand that the Indian service center will not honor International Warranty. But, they will do paid service won't they?

Last edited:
Have gone through that. I'm a bit worried about the RBE. And, the 2030 isn't even available for a demo here. Is the 2030 by any chance re-badged as the 5200 in India?

Hi Guys

I was planning to buy benq w1070 or 1080st however while i was waiting i saw this new projector 2030 release in USA.

Now i am confused as this is an LCD projector.

Should we wait for indian release? and any news on expected price?

On USA it is about 999 so about 63k+ 16k for sihpping/taxes = 79k. without warrenty.

lamp cost is reasonable 99$. I think much cheaper than Benq .

I do not care much about 3d but it is nice to have.

I do not know if i am Rainbow sensitive either.

Regarding a 100" screen where do you suggest buying it in india?

I saw some prices on deltapage but it seems to offer only 2 types of screen Lite/Instalock.

Epson launches TW5200 in India which is same as Epson2030. Both have same features and configuration. 5200 is most affordable 1080p 3D projector in India with Epson 2yrs. warranty but no lanes-shift in this model.:clapping::clapping::clapping:

Hi I recently bought Epson 2030, with Projector mount and samsung 3D glasses. I however had my friend brought it from US. It cost me 1091 USD with 91 as sales tax. Few major reason I did not go for Optoma HD25E or benq w1070.

1. First and foremost :Rainbow effect ::: Even though its said that only 2 out 10 people notice it, I did not want to take the risk, LCD projectors might not have those blacks as a DLP, but over all PQ is at par with DLP, and I can live with a little less black than regretting later IF I do manage to notice rainbow effect. Evey review I have read says, if you do notice it, you can not neglect/ignore it and it can ruin your movie experience.

2. 3D :: 3D was important for me and hence brightness was important, plus 2030 anyhow is said to be better in 3D. Plus 2d to 3d conversion, also better.

3. 3D glasses ::: RF based in comparison to IR based, so works with inexpensive Samsung 3D glasses. No IR emitter needed.

4. Lamp life and cost ::::: This projector, is a huge investment for me, and so I will use it for atleast 5 years, might be more, even if the industry standard reached 10K resolution ...:D, so lamp life and cost was in to consideration.

apart from these few other advantages of 2030 I could find, over W1070, were ....

1. fast HDMI switching, Benq sometime is said to take as long as 20-30 sec to switch the source. I do want to sit in the dark for that long with my family to wait for a source change and picture to pop up.

2. MHL, yes I will use it and so it for me was an added advantage

3. Bigger picture at a shorter throw distance.

What I DID NOT like about epson 2030 over other projectors were ..

1. Fan noise at dynamic mode ...on eco mode its quite :::: So I have to compromise a bit on this, but I assume with a movie running I should not face much issue

2. No Vertical lense shift ::: W1070 has this feature.

3. No Auto 3D detection.

I can not provide a hands on review as I have not yet opened my projector. This will only be done once my room is constructed, whicj should be completed by the end of this month. So only then I can provide a hands on experience.

Last edited:
1. fast HDMI switching, Benq sometime is said to take as long as 20-30 sec to switch the source. I do want to sit in the dark for that long with my family to wait for a source change and picture to pop up.

congrats on your purchase @sam9s however i have noticed an exact opposite behaviour with the Benq 770ST where the hdmi switching and 2D to 3D change is instant and my Acer takes little long to do the same. something under 10 seconds but for sure more than Benq that it is quite noticeable.

^^ I will see if I can find that review, which made the comparison, it was on some forum, I remember he said 2030 switch over, is instantaneous ..... as compared to other projectors ....

Sam,

Do you agree Epson 2030 and Epson EH-TW5200 are same. If so, I can plan to purchase TW5200 from India. Please confirm.

I found another interesting PJ Epson 2000, which is just $829
difference from Epson 2030 is in brightness and contrast

Epson 2000 Brightness 1800 Contrast 13000:1 Price $829 Offer:100$ Amazon Credit
Epson 2030 Brightness 2000 Contrast 15000:1 Price $999

now confuse as it more than 10k difference.. which one should I select..

Yes even I had that doubt, but 3D made it clear as 3D is important to me, while watching 3D brightness makes a huge difference, hence opted for 2030.

Sam,

Do you agree Epson 2030 and Epson EH-TW5200 are same. If so, I can plan to purchase TW5200 from India. Please confirm.

It is said that European model for 2030 is branded as TW5200 but I could not find any official take on this from Epson. There are few cosmetic changes as well between the two.

It is said that European model for 2030 is branded as TW5200 but I could not find any official take on this from Epson. There are few cosmetic changes as well between the two.

I asked the same thing to the Epson rep here. He couldn't say. The 5200 goes for 84k, taxes extra apparently.:sad: Then again, if they bundle a couple of glasses in India, it possibly makes sense to buy from here.

@ Sam9s - Thanks for your replies. Could you please explain the Samsung galsses thingy?

@ Sam9s - Thanks for your replies. Could you please explain the Samsung galsses thingy?

Since the projector supports RF based glasses as opposed to IR, any glasses based on the same tech can be used, and since samsung ones were the max that people preferred and bought, I went for the same.:)

Hi subodh..

Did you got the delivery from US on time..? Did u paid any import duty also..? What was the exact cost in indian rupees..?

Thanks..

Hi subodh..

Did you got the delivery from US on time..? Did u paid any import duty also..? What was the exact cost in indian rupees..?

Thanks..

It got delivered to my aunt place in US on time. Now she is expected to flying to india this month and she will bring it with her, so I need not to pay import duty as she will pretend that it is used item.

I used my Amex card to purchase this in dollors only.. but they have dome surcharge to conversion from USD to INR.. generally its 1.8% of transaction. But I can notice they have charge around 64.20 around money for each dollor.

You can also pay in INR with any indian credit card. But then Amazon conversion rate will be around 65 rs for each dollor.

I had read in other thread that it reached directly to india on time of 12-15 days with around 15k import duty

Have gone through that. I'm a bit worried about the RBE. And, the 2030 isn't even available for a demo here. Is the 2030 by any chance re-badged as the 5200 in India?

The best you could do to check RBE is to get a demo. I was worried about it before I bought W1070; I am a happy owner now. Perfect projector for me. No doubt, more money would get you a better projector. For about 85K, you could not possibly ask for a better projector.

Good Luck!

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back