Epson EH-TW 5200 or Benq W1070

jaii9979

Hi,
Im looking to buy buy a projector in a budget of 1lakh. Im really confused between 5200 or 1070. Im planning to setup the projector in my bedroom which is 16*11 feet and the viewing distance will be 12 feet. The room currently has a 46" LCD, but I'm going to upgrade to a projector with about a 110" screen. Given the use, I don't want to spend a lot on the set up. It's a multi-purpose room.

Pros and cons I've found with each of these projectors:

Pros of the 5200
Extremely bright. MHL port. Epson warranty.

Cons of the 5200
No lens shift at all, but vertical and horizontal keystone correction (will those be enough to make up for lack of lens shift?). Limited zoom requires mounting above walking area. Biggest concern is the lack of placement flexibility. Otherwise, this may be the obvious winner.

Pros of the W1070

Vertical lens shift, although not significant.

Cons of the W1070

With only a 1.3 zoom, it would have to be mounted in front of the seating area, and lower than the 8350. The ceilings are 9' but this could still be an annoyance when walking under it. Biggest concern though is that it's DLP. I've never seen a DLP projector in action, but I understand the rainbow to be a common issue that I'm not sure I want to take a chance on.

These are the pros and cons I'm aware of, please correct me if I'm wrong on any of this and fill me in on any other advantages/disadvantages I may be missing. I've browsed the dedicated threads for each of these, but they are very, very long so I didn't come close to catching everything. Or is there any other option you can help. Thanks for your help.

The 5200 has a lens shift, but its manual. I display the same from around 14 feet at a 30degree angle on the wall without any difficulty. The zoom ratio is 1-1.2 which is quite sufficient. Its even great to watch in ambient light.

Unless you are susceptible to rainbow effect its not to much of a concern. Though yes the issue is inherent to this kind of projector. However, The w1070 has minimal rainbow effect if any. For the price I think the w1070 beats most when it comes to picture quality in its category.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back