Beresford Caiman Review

how much time is needed for burnin guys ? I recenlty listened to murthy's Caiman and to be honest, i could not fine any improvement over his sony dvd player .... His system is Denon amp and Wharfedale 9.5

how much time is needed for burnin guys ? I recenlty listened to murthy's Caiman and to be honest, i could not fine any improvement over his sony dvd player .... His system is Denon amp and Wharfedale 9.5

How many hours was this caiman broken-in?

For this reason, I usually never purchase any product that claims to sound good only after X hours but where the return policy expires X - 30 days before ... ;)

Nothing directed at this product but in general .. caution is the key word :eek:hyeah:

Cheers

For this reason, I usually never purchase any product that claims to sound good only after X hours but where the return policy expires X - 30 days before ... ;)

An interesting and valid point, especially for an electronic device, kinda makes the whole burn-in phenomena a bit tricky! As Alen Shaw of Harbeth puts it here, either you believe in burn-in and wait for euphoria or let yourself burn-in to the claims of these products :)

cha indian
dont look at purely the detail.(sometimes there is hardly any inprovement there)
look at soundstage,weight lushness
if you still find no improvement then thats good for you!
NOW you dont need to spend on a DAC!

Haviing said that you should note that the older SONY dvd players were no slouches

the DVDP 500 and 700 series ( 6-7 yrs old models) definetely do sound better than most dvd players availble in the market today(maybe even some Entry level CDPs today- ive done an A B )

An interesting and valid point, especially for an electronic device, kinda makes the whole burn-in phenomena a bit tricky! As Alen Shaw of Harbeth puts it here, either you believe in burn-in and wait for euphoria or let yourself burn-in to the claims of these products :)

Well I believe in break-in .. but I can digest 25 hours for a new product before it can sound decent. 100 hours is not in my comfort zone. My set of speakers took 120hrs to break-in the new ones are reported to take 200+ hours. But they sounded listenable within the first 30 hours hence I did not mind. My amp took 15 hours.

If its going to sound *awful* in the first 100 hours then I would stay away from it. :)

Regards

cha indian
dont look at purely the detail.(sometimes there is hardly any inprovement there)
look at soundstage,weight lushness
if you still find no improvement then thats good for you!
NOW you dont need to spend on a DAC!

Haviing said that you should note that the older SONY dvd players were no slouches

the DVDP 500 and 700 series ( 6-7 yrs old models) definetely do sound better than most dvd players availble in the market today(maybe even some Entry level CDPs today- ive done an A B )

Well, murthy said that he had the unit switched on for one week...so that is about 150 odd hours....

Earlier i never used to belive in burn-in but recently i installed Audio-GD opamp in my CD player and switched it on for more than a month. I could notice SQ improvement as well as dB gain.

Well, murthy said that he had the unit switched on for one week...so that is about 150 odd hours....

Earlier i never used to belive in burn-in but recently i installed Audio-GD opamp in my CD player and switched it on for more than a month. I could notice SQ improvement as well as dB gain.

You mean you kept it powered on for a month? Doesn't this harm the hardware in any way? i mean keeping it continuously on for so long

I could notice SQ improvement as well as dB gain.

I can understand or maybe accept a change in SQ, but a change in gain? That sound strange to me. Is the power supply to the system controlled? Are you ensuring the system receives full 220 volts?

Cheers

You mean you kept it powered on for a month? Doesn't this harm the hardware in any way? i mean keeping it continuously on for so long

Well DAC may not produce a lot heat & chances of getting harmed can be low.Secondly it doesnt have internal powersupply so again no heat prob.

I have read somwhere people keeping DAC on without playing any music.

Well DAC may not produce a lot heat & chances of getting harmed can be low.Secondly it doesnt have internal powersupply so again no heat prob.

I have read somwhere people keeping DAC on without playing any music.

Hi spirovious
Cha_indian had a cd player i guess.

sorry for the confusion guys....

I was refering to Caiman DAC belonging Murthy. He recently bought a DAC and i was eager to audition and compare with my DIY effort. I also have a heavily modded MHZS cd player.

Venkat: I have noticed dB gain like ... earlier with my stock opamp, the sound was loud 11 o clock position and was more or less same for a new Audio GD Sun. Now after burn in of my Audio GD Sun, I could get the same SQ at 9 o clock position..... :) I am sorry if this is not the correct way to express Loudness.

Now i have again changed to opamp to OPA2107 and have noticed better signal to noise ratio (better blacks) and tighter bass from speakers.

Last edited:
Venkat: I have noticed dB gain like ... earlier with my stock opamp, the sound was loud 11 o clock position and was more or less same for a new Audio GD Sun. Now after burn in of my Audio GD Sun, I could get the same SQ at 9 o clock position..... :) I am sorry if this is not the correct way to express Loudness.

Well that certainly is a way to express increase in gain. I am just surprised it happens.

Cheers

I am now really enjoying my setup with the Beresford Caiman. I have also upgraded my cables since with uber expensive mx cables ..... well expensive for me since i have never spent much on cables.

The sound is clean, smooth and transparent. I can individually place all the instruments very well. Soundstage is wide enough. Bass is very well defined. Treble and mid range have become so transparent its like a cloth has been lifted off my speakers. The only significant drawback many of the low bitrate files the sq degradation becomes quite apparent.

In lay man terms i have been spending hours together listening to music continuously whereas before i would get quite bored after the first hour. It has become fatigue free, more involving and musical.

I've ordered a Caiman today. :yahoo:

I'll be using it with my WD-TV to play FLACs and with my el cheapo Philips CDP to play CDs. For now, I'll be listening to music mostly with Senn HD555s and occasionally with Audioengine A2s.

Can't wait to get it! :licklips:

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back