Beresford Caiman Review

soundcards tend to be a bit more airy and detailed.
i think this is what Bala has experinced
(P.S i have too)

However the preference for dac's comes in because they offer the wieght and smoothness in the music which SC's rarely do
some so called audiophiles call this "listenability"

i have found this to be the major difference between SC's and dacs when compared seperately
from my limited experince and budgets i havent heard either which offers both qualities

its a personal preference
depending upon your taste and the flavour your amp and speakers add ( if they do add any that is)

This is a major requirement for me. Before I go out and buy the Xonar - can somebody comment of whether the Xonar sound offers the weight and body to sound and vocals? Else I will take the external DAC route.

Edit: Can the local Beresford owners (7520 or Caiman) confirm that it offers weight body and lushness to the sound.

TIA
Regards

Since I don't have a sound card to test the above mentioned requirement but rest assured the Caiman adds the required depth and lushness to the music played through it.

gobble
i can confirm what you are asking

dont you have a NAD amp and warfedale spekers
if yes, In my very humble opinion me thinks you will be served better with a SC
look at the DAC only if you are going to upgrade- i mean future
Also ive said many a times. in entry level systems like mine the differences im talking about are noticed to a very small extent

i dont know how much a caiman costs but a 150$ SC is not a bad investment considering you can always use its digi out later

gobble
i can confirm what you are asking

dont you have a NAD amp and warfedale spekers
if yes, In my very humble opinion me thinks you will be served better with a SC
look at the DAC only if you are going to upgrade- i mean future
Also ive said many a times. in entry level systems like mine the differences im talking about are noticed to a very small extent

i dont know how much a caiman costs but a 150$ SC is not a bad investment considering you can always use its digi out later

Magma

you mean you confirm that Xonar adds that quality of weight to the sound? Or the Juli? How do the vocals come out ? Thin or with body? Likewise tabla and mridangam and string instuments? M not owrried about depth, just weight and body and smoothness and lushness (power amp may play role here)

Regards

gobble
i can confirm what i stated about the diff between SC's and DACs

for the weight youll be better off with a dac

if you think your amp has enough weight get a SC.

what exactly is your setup right now?

Gobble - you know I am perfectly satisfied with the Sound card that I have as regards weight and lushness and what not. And I primarily listen to vocal based music.

gobble
i can confirm what i stated about the diff between SC's and DACs

for the weight youll be better off with a dac

if you think your amp has enough weight get a SC.

what exactly is your setup right now?

My speakers are fostex166e based single driver bookshelves from Audire.
DIY Preamp is coming next week. Waiting to upgrade power amp. Will update this in another thread. CDP is cd6002.

Cheers

Gobble - you know I am perfectly satisfied with the Sound card that I have as regards weight and lushness and what not. And I primarily listen to vocal based music.

Thanks Vortex. Considering I can play with EQ with internal SC and achieve some sort of room correction, I will take a chance with Xonar first. Anyhow firewire option is not there for DAC so it is less tempting at this stage.

Cheers

Just received my Caiman :yahoo: .... now i cant wait to get off work to test this thing out

Congrats audiodelic! Welcome to the Beresford family!!

--
helium
Amp: Lyrita SET 2A3
Speakers: Vintage B&W DM4
Source: LG DVD + Beresford DAC
Cables: Lyrita's I.C & cables

Just received my Caiman :yahoo: .... now i cant wait to get off work to test this thing out

Congrats! Here is a secret. The trick to really burn it in well, use Asli Ghee with UghMark! :licklips: Avoid refined oils or kerosene ... :D

Cheers

Quite a big difference between the soundcard and the dac. What ive noticed so far bass is less boomy more accurate, mid range has come alive, highs are just very they should be. Now lets play out the burn in .... :)

Quite a big difference between the soundcard and the dac. What ive noticed so far bass is less boomy more accurate, mid range has come alive, highs are just very they should be. Now lets play out the burn in .... :)

What was your SC before? Do post some "Before" and "After" pics indicating ultimate satisfaction :)

Regards

I received some very bad news today guys, which will directly affect any orders for the Caiman that are placed from within India.

I have received notification from Paypal that they have suspended transactions from Indian customers due to some issues with the Indian government. Paypal does not know how long it wil take to resolve the issue.

Anyone in India wishing to order the Caiman should try to ask a relative living outside India to help them out. I shall do my best to help out as much as I legally can in order to make sure that you guys are not disadvantaged.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back