Best 29" CRT television in India?

Akhil

I want to buy a flat 29" CRT TV for a relative as gift. The criteria for selection is:

0. Should be a CRT. No LCD, no DLP, no PDP. Just CRT.

1. It should be available in India.

2. Image quality is most important factor. Color, black levels, contrast, progressive scanning, everything.

3. Sound quality is of zero importance, as they have TATA SKY and I think I'll be using the audio out from STB to send signal to a very good amplifier + speaker. Should sound better than anything that comes with the TV!

4. Preferably should be 4:3. I think that is what most (all?) of the content in India is broadcast as, at present. While TATA SKY Set-top-box does have the option of 16:9, I am not sure how well it looks/works.

5. Picture-in-picture is not needed. But won't be a deal killer.

6. Any other useful features that improve the viewing experience, but not un-necessary gimmicks.

7. Budget is Rs. 50,000. But if the set is exceptional I can go up to 75,000.

Please recommend atleast your top two/three televisions that fit these criteria and give some explanation as to why you rank that particular model, it would help in making an informed decision.

Thanks everybody!

You do not need to spend 50K to get a good 29" CRT Flat TV anymore.

I recently helped someone purchase a Sony WEGA KV-DZ29M80 29" TV for 34K. I consider it as a great buy for a HD ready CRT TV.

• Multi HD Ready (with double Component Input)
  • Scan Mode: 100 Hz/ Progressive
  • 3D Comb Filter
  • BBE Digital
  • Surround Sound (Movie & sports)
  • Intelligent Picture Plus
  • Intelligent Signal Booster
  • Digital Noise Reduction
  • Dimensions: 780x651x523mm (wxhxd)

The other option for a basic 29" Sony would be KV-SZ29M80/50 for 19K.

• Sparkling WEGA
  • Surround Sound Effect
  • Intelligent Picture Plus
  • Intelligent Picture Signal Indicator
  • Intelligent Signal Booster
  • 5 Band Graphic Equalizer
  • Intelligent Volume
  • WEGA GATE Navigator
  • Dimensions: 774x590x506mm (WxHxD)

After comparing ALL The products available I found that the Philips offering was THE BEST and bought it - the Philips 29PT8836/94 ... Decided the premium for Sony is just not worth it! The picture quality - especially the BLACK was way superior in the Philips (IMHO) and comes will all the bells and whistles you seem to want!

MRP Quoted was 24,990/- .... Got it for 21k.. less 5,700 for my old TV = a net price of 15,300/- Inclusive of all taxes and levies!!!!

A lot of friends have subsequently done their own independant evaluations and purchased the smae

Have a look at the link below.

http://www.consumer.philips.com/con...XJ0RMRCSHP3HKFSESI5P&activeTab=specifications

HOpe this helps!

CHEERS!

I fully agree.

I was also in the market to buy a 29 inch CRT with almost same preferences. My criteria was that only picture matters as I get sound via my marantz receiver and KEF speakers. And no TV (CRT or Plasma or LCD) can provide sound quality on its own as good as my marantz receiver and KEF speakers.

So I decided to buy this Philips model after spending a lot of time with demos at LG/Samsung/Sony showrooms in Delhi. I was almost ready to buy Samsung slimfit 100 hz TV but a last minute visit to Philips showroom changed my opinion.

I bought it last October (I paid Rs. 23000) when this model was just launched and at that time no competitor could beat Philips in picture quality. I am using it for TV/Games?Movies purposes and the picture quality is amazing at this price. I have not done any one to one comparisions with LCD TVs but this Philips CRT has the potential to beat them on a regular TV feed by cable operators.

You can't get wrong with this TV and would be surprised how CRT technology has improved over the years and is still improving despite the current dominant trend is towards LCD and Plasmas.

Have a look at it before buying.....

Does the Philips handle NTSC DVDs via component inputs?
It has two sets, and one of them is labelled as HD-CVI(?).
BTW the 100Hz is only with PAL signals (probably made so for PAL countries).

Is this philips TV still available in market. i checked out lot of places in pune and i have been told that this model is now obsolete...
to make it worst, philips doesnt have any 100Hz model in market now...
after seeing so many good reviews about this model, i really wonder why philips took it out of market... I also have kef speakers and marantz receiver... but now I am dieing to get this model of Philips...

If anyone could help, that would b great...

~Ishwar

I fully agree.

I was also in the market to buy a 29 inch CRT with almost same preferences. My criteria was that only picture matters as I get sound via my marantz receiver and KEF speakers. And no TV (CRT or Plasma or LCD) can provide sound quality on its own as good as my marantz receiver and KEF speakers.

So I decided to buy this Philips model after spending a lot of time with demos at LG/Samsung/Sony showrooms in Delhi. I was almost ready to buy Samsung slimfit 100 hz TV but a last minute visit to Philips showroom changed my opinion.

I bought it last October (I paid Rs. 23000) when this model was just launched and at that time no competitor could beat Philips in picture quality. I am using it for TV/Games?Movies purposes and the picture quality is amazing at this price. I have not done any one to one comparisions with LCD TVs but this Philips CRT has the potential to beat them on a regular TV feed by cable operators.

You can't get wrong with this TV and would be surprised how CRT technology has improved over the years and is still improving despite the current dominant trend is towards LCD and Plasmas.

Have a look at it before buying.....

True, this model is out of stock in Chennai, and also removed from Philips India web-site. Though Philips (& dealers) say that fresh stock will come in 10 days, I dont think so.
This is an idiotic move by Philips, unless they bring in a replacement with HDMI input.

Because I couldnt find it in any shop, I contacted philips and they said they dont have any plans to bring replacement or new one in market. And also asked me to try LCD instead of this model.
I am really not kin on buying LCD TV now as we dont have HD x-mission from broadcasters. And normal cable or dish tv broadcast is not even watchable even on High end LCD TVs.

Also, there is a weird thing I have observed recently. I started hunt for HD and 100Hz CRT TV about 3-4 months back. But wanted to buy it in sept/oct. Most of the websites including sony/philips/samsung have removed lot of costly CRT tvs from websites in last couple of months. Looks like these companies are now pushing very hard for LCD/Plasma TV now. And probably I am on losing side.

Now I am so desperate to get the philips model, that I have started searching for used model of same one.:eek:

anyways wish all of us good luck...:)

~Yatin

True, this model is out of stock in Chennai, and also removed from Philips India web-site. Though Philips (& dealers) say that fresh stock will come in 10 days, I dont think so.
This is an idiotic move by Philips, unless they bring in a replacement with HDMI input.

Please keep us updated if you find this model or a replacement.

Thanks...

~Ishwar

Hi,

This model is still available in Delhi. I saw it in Philips exclusive showroom in Connaught Place some 10 days back....

You could send an emailto Mr. Kapoor ([email protected], Brand Manager CRT, Ph: 9833264227) and check the availability in your city....

best

Kavaljit

Hi Kavalit,

Appreciate your help. Will update you soon.

~Ishwar

Hi,

This model is still available in Delhi. I saw it in Philips exclusive showroom in Connaught Place some 10 days back....

You could send an emailto Mr. Kapoor ([email protected], Brand Manager CRT, Ph: 9833264227) and check the availability in your city....

best

Kavaljit

Oops, kavaljit unfortunately this email id doesnt exists. Mail got bounced back. But anyways thanks for info.

~Ishwar

Hi,

best

Kavaljit

No, I did not find the Philips yet.

But just had a trial of Panasonic 29F350B, with TataSky, and DVD (prog scan). PQ is better than the Panasonic LCD 32LXE7, (but did not compare with 32LX70).
The 29" looks a winner!! And at 27k, a bit pricier than Philips, but can be negotiated down.
Available in Chennai Panasonic.

Please keep us updated if you find this model or a replacement.

Thanks...

~Ishwar

Thank you. I will check out...

No, I did not find the Philips yet.

But just had a trial of Panasonic 29F350B, with TataSky, and DVD (prog scan). PQ is better than the Panasonic LCD 32LXE7, (but did not compare with 32LX70).
The 29" looks a winner!! And at 27k, a bit pricier than Philips, but can be negotiated down.
Available in Chennai Panasonic.

I have asked for a clarification from Panasonic Chennai - does the 29f350 accept and display 720p? Can't find this info. anywhere, though the handout says it can display 1080i, it is silent on 720p (or 576p/480p)

Panasonic SG confirmed that the 29F350 does not handle (input & output) 720p; it can do 1080i, thats it. Too bad...the PQ is very good though.

And the Philips 29PT8836 is in 'No booking' - meaning its been discontinued. Oh!oh! Looks like Philips/Sony killed their best CRT models to push LCDs..

Atlast, after 2-3 months of searching, I got philips 29pt8836 in pune.
Price 21000.
Picture priceless...

Looks like it is available in mumbai also. So people checkout in your cities.
~Ishwar

Atlast, after 2-3 months of searching, I got philips 29pt8836 in pune.
Price 21000.
Picture priceless...

Looks like it is available in mumbai also. So people checkout in your cities.
~Ishwar
Good for you!!

No luck in Chennai. I am desparate!! Can a good samaritan get one for me??
ravi

Good for you!!

No luck in Chennai. I am desparate!! Can a good samaritan get one for me??
ravi

PbR, checkout if philips arena people in chennai can help u in transporting it. In pune, It was available with Philips Arena. If u can push them for transporting it, its good for you.

~Ishwar

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back