Best AVR for music & movies

spirovious

Hi friends,

I own Onkyo HTiBs and need AVR for music & movies.

My budget 35 to 40 k.

As everybody knows CD player sounds better than DVD player.
I dont want many players at one place.So my idea -Good DVD player with
musical AVR.

So suggest me for 50%music-50% movies.

Hi, spiro, why don't you try Yamaha 663, it has a better review. or else try denon 1909.

Yam is wonderful with movies. I had yam v 450 a 6.1. till last week. I felt it was good with music also at that time my speakers were bad ( comparatively ) they were yam also. I wanted to try others as I had heard a lot of denon and marantz, out of this two I could afford denon.

Hi, spiro, why don't you try Yamaha 663, it has a better review. or else try denon 1909.

Yam is wonderful with movies. I had yam v 450 a 6.1. till last week. I felt it was good with music also at that time my speakers were bad ( comparatively ) they were yam also. I wanted to try others as I had heard a lot of denon and marantz, out of this two I could afford denon.

I was told by dealor that Yamaha avr are weak in terms of power.(due to powersupply)

I own Onkyo & Tannoy F1 custom.
So which will be better?
What abt CA azur?

Hi friends,

I own Onkyo HTiBs and need AVR for music & movies.

My budget 35 to 40 k.

As everybody knows CD player sounds better than DVD player.
I dont want many players at one place.So my idea -Good DVD player with
musical AVR.

good AVR for music ---NONE, AVRs are best only for movies , unless u go for separate power block processor/pre amp, cheaper way to get a better music performance from your AVR is to connect a good 2 channel power block for your mains (L/R) , provided ur avr has pre outs and also if the pre amp of the avr shud be good -------------have had many many avrs all sounded CRAP for 2 channel music , including the recent onkyo 875 , and all the dsp modes for music in an avr is crappy too

I doubt that statement. I had an entry level Denon sometime back, then when i moved to 4306 avr, the stereo reproduction compared to the former was really good and could rival most of my friends' dedicated hifi setups. I believe it depends on how much you are willing to pay. The higher you go up, many avrs perform really well and can easily sound better than an entry level cd/amp combo.

As for the OP requirements, in 30k getting a good musical avr would be difficult. A 30k avr may not scale up to a 30k amp but then, it would be an unfair comparison. Your best bet is to try and listen to CA and Marantz range in your budget. Denon is more of an alrounder where as CA and marantz has as edge musically.

happy auditioning.

If you are not interested in video upscaling features, Marantz and Nad AVRs would fit your need.
When I auditioned for AVRs, I felt the NAD had better amp section as compared to Marantz, Denon & Onkyo. But DSP features are a step backward in NAD. I got a good deal on Marantz so I took that.
Try for used or clearance gear, you may end up with a really good one.

I shall vote for Marantz here. It is very good for music. I have always know this.
However, I was never satisifed with multichannel sound of Marantz. I think yam or onkyo does a better job. But, thats the call u'll hav to make. Audition and decide accordingly.

Sumit

I can say following are better for music too-
1.CA
2.Denon
3.Marantz
4.Pioneer
5.Sony
6.Arcam

Not all models ,but some from these can offer good stereo output.

look up the HK AVR 255. I am pretty happy with it. Will cost about 35K in Mumbai at JBL store Atria Mall. Its good on features too. I did audition the Marantz 6003 and 5003 but they do not have after sales in India.

As fellow members point out, good stereo music 2.1 is best reproduced by a dedicated amp and not AVR but in practical life AVR 255 or maybe the Denon 1909 should be a good bet. ( unless you have the dough to soend on dedicated amp section for stereo ).

Get a basic Pioneer DV610 for 6K and switch over to 96kHz/24bit 5.1 DVD-A music. Your music experience will change immediately.

You will need a better center speaker. Very soon I am going to add one (CSi A4) to my existing Polk RTis, and maybe later even upgrade the surrounds.

I can say following are better for music too-
1.CA
2.Denon
3.Marantz
4.Pioneer
5.Sony
6.Arcam

Not all models ,but some from these can offer good stereo output.

SONY?????

Do they have dedicated avr in India??? Where? and If they are selling Just 5-10 AVRs in super exclusive galleries then is'nt it risky to get support??

good AVR for music ---NONE, AVRs are best only for movies , unless u go for separate power block processor/pre amp, cheaper way to get a better music performance from your AVR is to connect a good 2 channel power block for your mains (L/R) , provided ur avr has pre outs and also if the pre amp of the avr shud be good -------------have had many many avrs all sounded CRAP for 2 channel music , including the recent onkyo 875 , and all the dsp modes for music in an avr is crappy too

Please take an audition of Arcam AVR 600 and then you will have to change your comment Subhash, but this comes at a price i.e 250k. Its a superb piece of kit for both movies and music that your money could buy as an all in one unit. I guess Venkatcr can second that.

Please take an audition of Arcam AVR 600 and then you will have to change your comment Subhash, but this comes at a price i.e 250k. Its a superb piece of kit for both movies and music that your money could buy as an all in one unit. I guess Venkatcr can second that.

Thats true,but then for price, AVR & seperate stereo system can save moeny.

I have said this many times before. At the low end of the price spectrum, an AVR is designed to deliver movies well. So it will be stupid to expect it to play justice to music as well. That is not the primary intention of the designer. If you need good music at that price level, it is always better to have a separate two channel amp.

But as you move up the price spectrum, the designer's have the freedom to do what they like. At the reference levels, it will become very difficult to differentiate between the sound signature of an AVR from that of an equally priced two channel system. Actually an AVR has a commercial advantage in the sense it can use better components simply because it sells more pieces. Things such as Burr Brown, Cirrus Logic, and other DACs are being used more frequently. Many AVRs have separate paths for each channel, in essence acting as mono blocks for each channel.

Over the last few weeks, using the Audire IO2s this has been proved quite effectively to me and a few others. The Onkyo 875 was able to proudly compete with a Cayin tube amp and a NAD 350. We will be comparing with other amps over the next few weeks, including, hopefully, the Lyrita tube amp.

PS, the Arcam AVR600 now sells at 3.24 lakhs !!!! Sigh!!!

Cheers

Last edited:
Back