Best CDR for Audio CD backup?

Hai Hegde,

Actually there may not be much change in quality of Sound.
What matters is the reliability of the media. I have found that of late SONY CD-Rs are not as reliable with Marantz CD Players, even for a small scratch they tend to jump tracks.
But Verbatim Cd-R s may need some more time for me to judge their performance, as i have started using them recently.

N.Murali

@ Murali: Sir, Have you used TDK's (or any other good one's) before?? If so, How is the performance? I have completely emptied my stock of blank cd's. Planning to stick to one brand (and a good one).

Last edited:
Hai Hegde,

I haven't used TDK in recent times, am experimenting with Verbatim AZO, so far its good.

N.Murali

Thank you Sir, will be waiting for verbatim's performance report. :) What is the cost of verbatim Cd-R's??

Has anyone tried Imation or TDK (Gold) Lightscribe CD-R?

I have burnt a few flac files to wav on these cds' and they sound marginally less dynamic than the original cds. Anyway, they are good for secondary backup with tagging on the label side with lightscribe.

Dear All,

Many brands of CD-R are now being made by one manufacturer ie Moser Baer in Noida / Greater Noida.

To find out the manufacturer of your CD-R, run one of the following software, which will tell you the factory at which it was made:

1. CDR Identifier
2. CDR ATIP reader

You can google these to find out where they are available.

Further, as regards CD-R quality, there are only two parameters, that is:

1. Readability on all manner of readers (players)
2. Life

Being digital media, CD-R disks will simply record a series of zeros and ones in digital format. It is up to the player to convert it to analog sound. There is no way that certain CD-R disks will sound "warm" or otherwise, or that any method of digital recording will introduce any colour or warmth to the digital music recording. The bits and bytes of the original will be faithfully copied to the new media, or you will get an error, and the disk will be useless.

My profession requires me to buy CD-R media by the tens of thousands. Naturally, quality is critical, since they are being used to distribute critical information. We find that the Sony media is among the best available. It is being manufactured at the newest plant of Moser Baer (they have 5 or 6 manufacturing lines in the Noida / Greater Noida region alone). The quality control is being performed by both MB and Sony personnel, so the results are quite good. Expect a life of about 10 years, if the disks are handled well.

Also, the quality of CD-R disks has consistently improved over the years. Almost any halfway decent brand available today is much better than the best available even 5 years ago. (I've being buying and recording CD-Rs in bulk since the last 15 years, although for data, not music).

Yes, Taiyo Yuden is the originator of the CD-R. Other manufacturers with original chemical formulations are Mitsubishi / Verbatim (blue dye) and Mitsui. Maybe some more too. But MB / Sony is now perhaps one of the best. We have stopped looking for alternatives anymore for our work.

Hope that helps.

Also, speed of recording should not make any difference, as long as your player can read the recording. (Some older players cannot read recordings made by some of the high speed recorders today).

So, perhaps the best recording speed is the one that is automatically selected by your recording device. Remember, that the ATIP information which is recorded by the manufacturing factory into every CD-R also contains information as to the highest recording speed allowed for the particular CD-R, which your recorder should be able to automatically read and follow.

Saw an ad for Verbatim CDs' @ Rs 7.50 and DVD's @ Rs 11.00 (bulk pack)Colo Photo Shop, across Mumbai. Call 9969201458 or 9969201454, deal valid from 3-2-10 to 9-2-10.

Saw an ad for Verbatim CDs' @ Rs 7.50 and DVD's @ Rs 11.00 (bulk pack)Colo Photo Shop, across Mumbai. Call 9969201458 or 9969201454, deal valid from 3-2-10 to 9-2-10.

Ordered Dvd's and Cd's both. As Colo Shop claims these are no wholesale prices as i had purchased 10 cds from L.T. at the same price. But Verbatim media availability is very erratic so i thought of buying from Colo Shop.

I recently created a back up copy of one of my audio cds on to Amkette 52X Cdr( durashield) with jewel case(cost me 26rs for a piece, from MusicWorld) and the difference was shocking when I played it back. The sound was so muffled compared to the original. It also seemed like volume levels were lesser too. But more importantly the details and dynamics suffered, with the music from the backup disc sounding all veiled.
I had burnt the cd with Ashampoo Audio cd burner, had included recording simulation, burned at 4x(lowest) and had gone through the most thorough and slowest method to get a good result, but it failed. Pl note that I have not copied it directly from my original cd but burnt it from the wav files of the original cd I ripped to my laptop using EAC.
Do I need better cds or is my method to fault here?
Titus

I recently created a back up copy of one of my audio cds on to Amkette 52X Cdr( durashield) with jewel case(cost me 26rs for a piece, from MusicWorld) and the difference was shocking when I played it back. The sound was so muffled compared to the original. It also seemed like volume levels were lesser too. But more importantly the details and dynamics suffered, with the music from the backup disc sounding all veiled.
I had burnt the cd with Ashampoo Audio cd burner, had included recording simulation, burned at 4x(lowest) and had gone through the most thorough and slowest method to get a good result, but it failed. Pl note that I have not copied it directly from my original cd but burnt it from the wav files of the original cd I ripped to my laptop using EAC.
Do I need better cds or is my method to fault here?
Titus

Ensure the EAC settings were correct for secure ripping. Then you cant go wrong with Verbatim recommended earlier in this thread or Moser Baer Gold/Platinum CDs.

cheers

Thanks Gobble, AFAIk, EAC was set ok and I have not had issues with the rips otherwise. But I think I will try directly backing up from the cd rather than burning the uncompressed wav rips.
In addition I am going to try and source some better cd rs.

Thanks Gobble, AFAIk, EAC was set ok and I have not had issues with the rips otherwise. But I think I will try directly backing up from the cd rather than burning the uncompressed wav rips.
In addition I am going to try and source some better cd rs.

If you spend 40 mins ripping, why not use that opportunity to make HDD backup? I see no quality difference is writing to FLAC then burning to CD at leisure

Here is guide for EAC just to be sure
http://blowfish.be/eac/Setup/setup1.html

Cheers

If you spend 40 mins ripping, why not use that opportunity to make HDD backup? I see no quality difference is writing to FLAC then burning to CD at leisure

Here is guide for EAC just to be sure
EAC Setup Guide

Cheers

Gobble, thanks for confirming that. And yes I do always back up to HDD.
I will go through the set up guide and check.
Interesting thing is, the Dire straits flac I burnt to CD( that too 10rs MOser Baer, white color without logo) sounds pretty fine. I am guessing the Amkette disc though pricier may be the culprit.
Titus

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back