Best CDR for Audio CD backup?

Currently using Mitsubishi Phone-R cdr for audio now. Taiyo Yuden is equally good or a fraction better (as far as I have heard), but never tried it.

Gobble, thanks for confirming that. And yes I do always back up to HDD.
I will go through the set up guide and check.
Interesting thing is, the Dire straits flac I burnt to CD( that too 10rs MOser Baer, white color without logo) sounds pretty fine. I am guessing the Amkette disc though pricier may be the culprit.
Titus

Maybe fakes?

Regards

1. CDR Identifier
2. CDR ATIP reader

You can google these to find out where they are available.

Both these refer to a site called 'Odessa UA' or something and this virus infected. Does anybody have a link to a clean site?

Cheers

Hi All,
I want to continue this thread with my queries ,

I want to take my audio cd backup(soft copy of cd),usually we can take either wav or flac format.but I want to take soft copy same as it is ,this I can write into CD for future . right now I am using nero software for a soft copy (nrg format).

Please suggest me how you people having soft copy of your audio cds.

Use exact audio copy or powerdb to rip audio tracks into wav files.
Copy those files into a hdd, dvd, bd and back it up. In future you can use them directly if you have a dac or burn files into audio cd and use with cd player

rikhav
I would suggest a small change to how you rip the disc.

Rip it as an Image (img). EAC offers that option, dB does not ...

The img rip will consists of a .cue file ( small file size ) and an accompanying single wav file containing all the CD tracks.

If you burn the image ( point yr CD burner to the .cue file) it will recreate the orginal CD which will also be recognised by all online CD Databases, to identify it as the origibal CD.

If you burn separate tracks... even in the same order, it will never be recognised, and if the track names etc are not saved, the complete Disc Id will be lost.

rikhav
I would suggest a small change to how you rip the disc.

Rip it as an Image (img). EAC offers that option, dB does not ...

The img rip will consists of a .cue file ( small file size ) and an accompanying single wav file containing all the CD tracks.

If you burn the image ( point yr CD burner to the .cue file) it will recreate the orginal CD which will also be recognised by all online CD Databases, to identify it as the origibal CD.

If you burn separate tracks... even in the same order, it will never be recognised, and if the track names etc are not saved, the complete Disc Id will be lost.

Thanks indianears
I was sort of aware about this but never realized using this method will help make it as a proper image of the audio cd
Thanks again

There we have it. Perfect way to backup audio cd

I have read some people prefer powerdb over eac for bit perfect ripping but that's a different point of discussion

Personally not tried powerdb

I am ripping wav formats,but need to take same cd as softcopy, my doubt is if I have wav format songs,can I write wav formats into CD like audio cd. Is cd player can support to play wav format ?

I am ripping wav formats,but need to take same cd as softcopy, my doubt is if I have wav format songs,can I write wav formats into CD like audio cd. Is cd player can support to play wav format ?

You have to burn those wav files into audio tracks
Cd player wont read wav files directly

I have MMORE 90min and 80min cd-r (distributed by Netherlands bv) which suits well for audio application. HP cd-r are good too. Got 99min cd-r from melody (Taiwan). Songs sound pretty good compared to Sony or MB.

I use my Emtec (BASF) cd-r collection for rare/good albums though writing speeds are only 1-16x. Quality of burner also influence the final outcome I think.

I have MMORE 90min and 80min cd-r (distributed by Netherlands bv) which suits well for audio application. HP cd-r are good too. Got 99min cd-r from melody (Taiwan). Songs sound pretty good compared to Sony or MB.

I use my Emtec (BASF) cd-r collection for rare/good albums though writing speeds are only 1-16x. Quality of burner also influence the final outcome I think.

Hi sarith
From where do you buy those basf blanks?

Quality of burner (hardware or software?)

If hardware what options we have other then mass market dvd burners available?

You have to burn those wav files into audio tracks
Cd player wont read wav files directly

you mean to say rips the cd into wav format and if we want into cd again,write those wav format into cd. which software we need to use to write wav format to audio cd format ?

Hi sarith
From where do you buy those basf blanks?

Quality of burner (hardware or software?)

If hardware what options we have other then mass market dvd burners available?

I bought all the mentioned cd-r years back from a local store when I realized that the quality of cd-r started to degrade (wasn't any kind of deal. payed mrp). I have used few burners except lite-on and asus (decent reviews online).

I have felt that my LG burner is kinda stable (less error) and so I use it to burn data and videos and I use my Sony burner for ripping and burning audio. I liked HP burner in the past very much for audio purpose, especially playback.

For Audio CD backup, I use Mitsubishi, CDs.

I still remember, Samsung all black CDs, extremely good for all purpose. I no longer find any Samsung CDs in the market(except Samsung's sub brand PLEOMAX). I still have few. 15years ago I burnt my favourite music on them and music still sounds good.:):):)
Does anyone have any clue whether or not Samsung make these CDs ?

Last edited:
paramesh
you mean to say rips the cd into wav format and if we want into cd again,write those wav format into cd. which software we need to use to write wav format to audio cd format ?

Alsmost any CD burning software like Nero or Ashampoo (fee) will do a good job.

Just select the "Burn Audio CD" option ....

As I have mentioned .... if you put together individual tracks, you will never recreate the Orgiginal CD that can be recognised by the online CD recognition databases....

For that you need to rip to an image and burn the image.

You can use the image as a regular CD rip in many programs like foobar and JRiver ( my fav ).

Audio CD contain .wav files, though you can't read the .wav files directly when you insert an Audio CD into a computer drive. So one has to 'rip' it using a special software to extract the wave files. If you want to burn these wave files on a CD for a CD player to recognize and play as an Audio CD then you again need a burning software to do it.

If you simply burn the wave files into a CD it won't be recognised by a CD player as an Audio CD. A CD player expects something called TOC (table of content). This gets created when burning as ACD but won't be created when simply burning the wave files as data files onto a CD.

A few years ago my friend in Singapore used to burn all his audio discs on black discs . I had some of them. Now a few don't play anymore ! Physically they look fine. I don't look for them any more.
Recopy ( replace) your discs every few years if they are precious to you. I also find guys who are serious about ripping on to stand alone HDD's make two or three copies on additional drives ! Depends on how precious your music collection is !
It reminds me of the old saying " if your hard drive hasn't crashed, it's about to do so ! " Well maybe not so bad today , but still many people don't rely on drives over 5 years even though they could last much longer.

Audio on CD is in Red Book Format PCM stream. WAV and other formats are used for storing on PC's.

Last edited:
Audio CD contain .wav files, though you can't read the .wav files directly when you insert an Audio CD into a computer drive. So one has to 'rip' it using a special software to extract the wave files. If you want to burn these wave files on a CD for a CD player to recognize and play as an Audio CD then you again need a burning software to do it.

If you simply burn the wave files into a CD it won't be recognised by a CD player as an Audio CD. A CD player expects something called TOC (table of content). This gets created when burning as ACD but won't be created when simply burning the wave files as data files onto a CD.

Very thanks for giving information.

please tell me which software can be used to write the content to cd? right now I am using nero for soft copy backup,like copy cd with image format option. and same planing to dump back to empty cd with out changing anything.

please tell me which software can be used to write the content to cd? right now I am using nero for soft copy backup,like copy cd with image format option. and same planing to dump back to empty cd with out changing anything.

Nero is perfect. Open Nero Startsmart, select CD drive (not DVD, though physically they may be the same drive), the click on audio icon, then choose 'Audio CD'. A new window will open. From this window, choose the folder where you have the wave files to be burned as ACD (you can also drag-drop into this window), select the tracks, click next, choose write speed by pressing the left pointing arrow on the left hand side of the window (I use 16X or lesser), click next, enter artist and album names of your choice, enable the "Verify" tick mark, then press Burn. El simplo:)

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back