Best CRT tv

prakasse

Hi,

After going through plasmas vs LCD's i decided to stick to CRT's. My requirement is to have a very good picture quality CRT TV, Which one would you recommend? audio output need not be great as audio will be routed to home theatre. But the picture quality should be excellent. I am looking for 29". Do we get more than 29" CRT in india?

I also saw 34" Jumbo tv from videocon in their website. am interested in that too. any views on that?

Also lastly it should be value for money.

Thanks,
Prakash.

Hi,

After going through plasmas vs LCD's i decided to stick to CRT's. My requirement is to have a very good picture quality CRT TV, Which one would you recommend? audio output need not be great as audio will be routed to home theatre. But the picture quality should be excellent. I am looking for 29". Do we get more than 29" CRT in india?

I also saw 34" Jumbo tv from videocon in their website. am interested in that too. any views on that?

Thanks,
Prakash.

Good decision. Anyways I think OLED will be the future. Both Plasma and LCD pale behind its PQ. Coming to CRT get or at least check out the Panasonic Tau FX 29FX20CDS3 CRT TV. Its 29", great PQ, sound is average, but great/the best in terms of VFM. It comes for 14K with a DVDP or a HTIB thrown in, 11K without the deals, and I got it for 9K after getting 2K in exchange for my old Akai 29" CRT. I have to say this again "its PQ is really great", my Divx rips are stunning on it.

I got mine at Reliance Digital BTW.

Hi,

Thanks,
Prakash.

I was also interested in the videocon 34" TV; however it does not seem to be available... looks like they've discontinued the producted. It was launched some time on an offer that customers who purchase this TV may pay an additional 7K and abt 3 years later, they're eligible for an LCD TV!!

But do let me know if you've found it for sale anywhere in bangalore.

Thanks,

Nitin.

The really good CRT TVs have all been killed off by the manufacturers to encourage people to buy the flat panels. So there are no longer any HD capable CRTs or any with a 100 hz refresh rate. Of the remaining lot, most of them are pretty decent, you can consider the models from Philips, LG, Samsung, Panasonic etc.,....avoid Sony.....(a) it's overpriced and (b) they don't have the slim picture tubes.

Hi,

Thanks,
Prakash.

thanks for all your replies. let me check out those models. Also do we find 100hz CRT tv now in india. if so which model. I fell investing in CRT is better than putting 50K on LCD's/plasmas and living with those drawbacks.

Thanks,
Prakash.

thanks for all your replies. let me check out those models. Also do we find 100hz CRT tv now in india. if so which model. I fell investing in CRT is better than putting 50K on LCD's/plasmas and living with those drawbacks.

Thanks,
Prakash.

I am still with my Sammy, 100Hz 29" Slim Fit CRT TV. Don't know it is still available or else. SONY was offering one 100 Hz 29 Inch CRT model for 34K and one more for Rs 74K when checked last year. There was a talk about one particular Philips 29" model but even that time also it was out of stock in most cities in India.

But stay away from brands like Videocon.

Suhas, What is you Samsung model number?

so currently there are no 100hz, progressinve scan tv's??? i am not get this info from company websites too.

Thanks, Prakash.

all are off the market dude.....i checked.....

I am still with my Sammy, 100Hz 29" Slim Fit CRT TV. Don't know it is still available or else. SONY was offering one 100 Hz 29 Inch CRT model for 34K and one more for Rs 74K when checked last year. There was a talk about one particular Philips 29" model but even that time also it was out of stock in most cities in India.

But stay away from brands like Videocon.

well in terms of picture quality sony without a doubt,the contrast it offers is unmatched by any other tv except some few mitsubishi and NEC tvs, but VFM is sonys main weakness,if u cant afford sony i suggest philips tvs they are pretty good their pixel plus image processing is realy good,avoid the samsung slim,from what i have heard it isnt best in terms of reliabilty and picture quality is nothing more then medicore.

but crt is dead,sony itself will stop producing and selling crt tvs in india around q2 or q3 this year.other companies are also likely to follow its steps.

Last edited:
Hmmm. With CRT production being stopped, Plasma's likely to be banned by the European Union that leaves only the LCD or even more expensive OLED. Might be the right time to stock up on a CRT now, it will easily last a good 10 years.

BTW off topic, but I was watching NDTV yesterday and there was talk of Tata Sky coming with a HD STB in June in which case all of us should be scrambling back to HD TVs again.

Hmmm. With CRT production being stopped, Plasma's likely to be banned by the European Union that leaves only the LCD or even more expensive OLED. Might be the right time to stock up on a CRT now, it will easily last a good 10 years.

BTW off topic, but I was watching NDTV yesterday and there was talk of Tata Sky coming with a HD STB in June in which case all of us should be scrambling back to HD TVs again.

which is exactly the reason why i got myself a sony 21inch crt a year ago,as soon as i got the news that sony will stop selling its crts except india,MY,TH,indonasia etc.and now in a few months sony will shut down its last 2 crt manufacturing plants in the world located in thailand and malayasia.
some sony models like the HZ series ,even a used HZ series crt sells more then MSRP price in ebay,since that was as good as a CRT ever got in terms of picture quality,with super fine(thin) aperture grille.the indian version of this model was last sold in 2007 and at that time a 32inch sony V series lcd used to sell for 69900,but the 29inch HZ series CRT used to sell for 89900.
and the 34inch version used to sell for 1.3lakh.

Last edited:
If you are considering a CRT, then you should also look at LG 32 plasma model PC5RA.

More details here http://www.in.lge.com/Product/Products-List.aspx?id=273&cat=Plasma TV&subcat=PC 5

This Plasma has the same resolution of CRT (480p) and gives good connectivity options (HDMI and Component). The SD performance would be same (or tad better) than CRT. The DVD performance would be miles ahead.

It costs around Rs.28,000 as on today.

Thanks Moserw. I went and purchased Purchased 29" CRT tv - Panasonic Tau FX 29FX20CD3(black colour) for my friend, from panasonic shop koromangala blore. MRP was 14990/- and dealer said the best price will be 14K. bargained and got for 13.6K. TV's PQ is too good.

Thanks,
Prakash

Thanks Moserw. I went and purchased Purchased 29" CRT tv - Panasonic Tau FX 29FX20CD3(black colour) for my friend, from panasonic shop koromangala blore. MRP was 14990/- and dealer said the best price will be 14K. bargained and got for 13.6K. TV's PQ is too good.

Thanks,
Prakash

Yeah, PQ is stunning in it. I got it in silver color as a secondary TV for my bedroom, but it has become the primary TV these days since I watch it so much.

Inspired by this discussion, I too explored buying a 29" CRT for the time being till Plasma and LCD prices come within my budget. My search yielded the following results. All prices are for one time full cash payment.

Sansui Hard Rock 700W : Rs. 10000
Onida Oxygen 350 : Rs. 11500
Panasonic Tau : Rs. 12000

One dealer told me that Panasonic service is not available easily for any replacement of parts, etc. and that I'll get a better exchange price for the Sansui if I decide to exchange it for an LCD or Plasma, since I had told him that I want to buy the CRT for a short term, max 1 year.

Awaiting your responses on the same.

Inspired by this discussion, I too explored buying a 29" CRT for the time being till Plasma and LCD prices come within my budget. My search yielded the following results. All prices are for one time full cash payment.

One dealer told me that Panasonic service is not available easily for any replacement of parts, etc. and that I'll get a better exchange price for the Sansui if I decide to exchange it for an LCD or Plasma, since I had told him that I want to buy the CRT for a short term, max 1 year.

You will hardly get 2-3K max for any CRT TV U/E when you go in for a new TV later on. Don't worry too much about the resale value, etc. Let PQ and features be the deciding factor and for my eyes the Panasonic Tau was with great PQ hence I went it. I can vouch for Onida too having used it for years and even now I have two Onida 21" CRT TVs at home. Sansui I have never used it so no idea.

where did you get quote of 12k for panasonic tau? is it 29"?

Thanks,Prakash

Hey thanks moser for your quick response. i think I'll do some more exploring on this front; Last time around, my intention was just to check out the price range in the market, I didn't get a demo of any of the models.

Also planning to check out Samsung, LG, Sharp (if possible). Also found a link on JVC India. Welcome to JVC India.

Any opinions on JVC?

My search yielded the following results. All prices are for one time full cash payment.

I have been using the Sansui 29 inch Hard Rock for the last two years. It has given me and my wife very satisfying performance all through. I had an issue with the remote when a kid dipped it in water. But I went and got a brand new remote. The only thing I don't like about the Sansui is that is big and heavy. I purchased the Hard Rock as it had set some kind of a record for maximum number of TVs sold worldwide. This was in 2006 or 2007.

Sansui has a good service centre in Chennai in a place called Gopalapuram. The guys are lazy but technically competent.

Cheers

Hey thanks moser for your quick response. i think I'll do some more exploring on this front; Last time around, my intention was just to check out the price range in the market, I didn't get a demo of any of the models.

Also planning to check out Samsung, LG, Sharp (if possible). Also found a link on JVC India. Welcome to JVC India.

Any opinions on JVC?

I have used a VCR from JVC for many years and also a mid-fi system or whatever you call a product similar to the Philips Powerhouse systems we used to get a decade or more ago. Really great products, lasted many years too. Mind you these were brought by my dad on his travels to Europe and not purchased in India.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back