Best DAC under 1 lakh

Actually I want to EQ the system for a flat response, specially below 100hz and at the same time want the sound quality of a DAC.
Frequency response required is 20-20000hz.
Below 20hz would be sweeter ;)

Have you researched on a minidsp? You can set it up however you like it.

MaSh

Dedicated DAC is a 2 channel thing for music. It is a component higher up in the chain.
For movies, there are decoders, room correction, channel/level equalizers etc etc.
So why do you need a DAC for movies?
Is it to take movie 5.1 (or higher) down-mixed to 2.x and feed a DAC.

Any EQ when used correctly will alter the sound to suit your room and ears.
That is its function. Personally, I like tone control, I want tone control at least.
EQ is a bit overwhelming to tweak and use depending on content.
Bass and Treble +/- 6 to 10 dB is nice and practical for most instantaneous tweaking.

For music content/source, DAC will be something you will have to try with your existing setup and listen.
But then genelacs, as you say, only accept XLR. Expect DACs to have this output to be expensive.
Some companies to DAC + pre. Most do stand alone DAC.

Cheers,
Raghu

Why do you want to equalize you should always prefer to as recorded?Alteration is not pure or clean system.

Why do you want to equalize you should always prefer to as recorded?Alteration is not pure or clean system.
Well ...
My listening space is not a studio. It has its limitations.
So a bit of help to tone up or tone down is always helpful.

And I may not like the way it was recorded (actually these days who really knows how it was originally recorded)
Cheers,
Raghu

But i think the recording engineer is smart enough to bring forth what he want people to listen and enjoy.

Dedicated DAC is a 2 channel thing for music. It is a component higher up in the chain.
For movies, there are decoders, room correction, channel/level equalizers etc etc.
So why do you need a DAC for movies?
Is it to take movie 5.1 (or higher) down-mixed to 2.x and feed a DAC.

Any EQ when used correctly will alter the sound to suit your room and ears.
That is its function. Personally, I like tone control, I want tone control at least.
EQ is a bit overwhelming to tweak and use depending on content.
Bass and Treble +/- 6 to 10 dB is nice and practical for most instantaneous tweaking.

For music content/source, DAC will be something you will have to try with your existing setup and listen.
But then genelacs, as you say, only accept XLR. Expect DACs to have this output to be expensive.
Some companies to DAC + pre. Most do stand alone DAC.

Cheers,
Raghu
Yes.. 2.1 channel.
Genelecs have tone controls. Both bass and treble.
But room modes are the primary issue.

Yeah I also finalised it until I realized that it affects the sound quality.

Oh is it? Have you tried it? I am actually on the hunt for a minidsp to use it with filters generated by REW.

What kind of difference did it make to the sound quality?

Yes.. 2.1 channel.
Genelecs have tone controls. Both bass and treble.
But room modes are the primary issue.

Again, only a dac is not going to solve that. You will need some kinda correction, either by using a receiver or a minidsp. What kind of room modes do you have? Have you used REW or something similar to check? Do post the graphs, I am sure members here can suggest a couple of solutions.

MaSh

Oh is it? Have you tried it? I am actually on the hunt for a minidsp to use it with filters generated by REW.

What kind of difference did it make to the sound quality?

Again, only a dac is not going to solve that. You will need some kinda correction, either by using a receiver or a minidsp. What kind of room modes do you have? Have you used REW or something similar to check? Do post the graphs, I am sure members here can suggest a couple of solutions.

MaSh
Planning to use DAC with Dirac or any good EQ software Installed on laptop.

Which one do you have shortlisted? Again it comes to minidsp with Dirac live plugin.

Ddrc24

MaSh
Stumbled upon minidsp SHD and SHD studio.( Both having Dirac live)
The SHD seems to have a better dac.
And the SHD studio has only digital I/O. Which can be used with a separate DAC.

Stumbled upon minidsp SHD and SHD studio.( Both having Dirac live)
The SHD seems to have a better dac.
And the SHD studio has only digital I/O. Which can be used with a separate DAC.

Oh Nice. Stumbled upon as in on Sale or after checking out the reviews? If you need to use with another Dac then the Digital I/O will give more flexibility with a DAC that accepts those inputs.

MaSh

Oh Nice. Stumbled upon as in on Sale or after checking out the reviews? If you need to use with another Dac then the Digital I/O will give more flexibility with a DAC that accepts those inputs.

MaSh
Stumbled while checking the website.
I don't have a DAC at present.
Wish to buy benchmark DAC 3 but can afford to buy only at the USA prices (I.e. 1.5. Lakhs)
Then will add the minidsp SHD studio later.

Otherwise will have to buy minidsp SHD as it will fall in my budget.

Stumbled while checking the website.
I don't have a DAC at present.
Wish to buy benchmark DAC 3 but can afford to buy only at the USA prices (I.e. 1.5. Lakhs)
Then will add the minidsp SHD studio later.

Otherwise will have to buy minidsp SHD as it will fall in my budget.

Hmm alright. Yes sounds like a plan.

MaSh

Actually I don't want to compromise on sound quality by buying an AVR.
And reliability? Longevity.
DAC s last long.
AVR tech changes so frequently. And resale value is low.
I might start listening music if I get a good DAC.

I'm scared of getting a 5.1 coz I don't know when I will get bored of my system and feel like changing it.
Selling a 5 channel system is even more difficult.
If it's for a genelec in 2.0 config get a rme dac which is used by technical people. Super reliable German made stuff. If you only want to stay 2.0 or 2.1 this will be better than a AVR as you are anyway not going to get the benefits of fotmats like atmos in 2.0 config. Most people associate genelec with engineering not as a consumer grade stuff. So, if that's what you like go completely in that route getting the RME. http://www.rme-audio.de/en/products/adi_2-dac.php

If it's for a genelec in 2.0 config get a rme dac which is used by technical people. Super reliable German made stuff. If you only want to stay 2.0 or 2.1 this will be better than a AVR as you are anyway not going to get the benefits of fotmats like atmos in 2.0 config. Most people associate genelec with engineering not as a consumer grade stuff. So, if that's what you like go completely in that route getting the RME. http://www.rme-audio.de/en/products/adi_2-dac.php

I also like the idea of getting everything you listen perfectly than having half cooked surround system.

I had finalised RME ADI 2 until @oyster told me that its not that great as the reviews suggest.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back