Best ever deal for loudspeaker kits.

I already PM'ed to Captain. Still posting my willingness here too - 1 pair.
I too mailed him (Danny) earlier and He replied - he is ready to ship anywhere in the world but more happy to ship at NY address of SnS. I think looking at the way Customs dept work, it faster through SnS.
My two cents!

it is interesting but how to get the cabinets built to the specs?

Perhaps you can talk to Anil Jangra of Tiny Controls, Delhi and see if
you can work out a deal for a group buy of CNC routed front baffles.
That is not his normal line of business, but he is an avid DIYer and
may oblige.
That would simplify the build enormously, as the baffle is the one
which local carpenters mess up, and it is not too hard to ship
just the baffles to folks as it's a small flat pack.

Stepper motor driver manufacturer, dealer in New Delhi India

the first thing we need to finish is to consolidate the requirements and get the consignment here.
That's the whole plan.
This could also be parallely done.
Don't you think that would be premature? IMHO we should wait for the drivers come. What say?
I too mailed him (Danny) earlier and He replied - he is ready to ship anywhere in the world but more happy to ship at NY address of SnS. I think looking at the way Customs dept work, it faster through SnS.
Could you elaborate what this SnS thingy is and how it works?

I made him see our group buy thread. He mailed me back suggesting ocean shipping. I'm quoting our PMs here:

If you go with the X-LS Encore and just replace the caps with Sonicaps (best bang for the buck upgrade) then it will be $72.40 per pair for the caps.

If you want a lot of them then I can send it via ocean freight for not a lot of money. It just takes a month to get there.

Quote from: rajesh on Yesterday at 06:37 PM

Hi Danny,

I'm trying to work out a group buy of your speaker kits in an India centric hifi forum. You can read about it here: http://www.hifivision.com/diy/19688-best-ever-deal-loudspeaker-kits.html#post283506

Do let me know the additional costing for the Sonicaps, Mills resistors and Erse XQ inductors.

Thanks

Rajesh

I think not. I think that Danny was engaged to decide what x-over parts to upgrade and what to upgrade to.

Doesnt that require intricate knowledge of the mentioned crossover design and what can be done with it ? The US version crossover is a collaborative effort between Danny and DAppolito. It is not the same as upgrading parts !

FS: Usher Be-718 (Tiny Dancers) w/ Core Audio Design Stands

SoundStage! Equipment Review - Usher Audio Technology Be-718 Loudspeakers (10/2007)

That's the whole plan.
Can we move this thread to Group Buy section so that we get wider(?) publicity ?

Don't you think that would be premature? IMHO we should wait for the drivers come. What say?
Think you misunderstood me ...What I meant was that we could start looking out for possible fabrication avenues once we place order on Danny ..So that by the time the drivers get here, we have a plan ready for execution ...Reduces the time for the final speakers to land up at their destinations..:D

Could you elaborate what this SnS thingy is and how it works?
SnS is a service offered by Aramex ( if I'm not mistaken) where they quote a price for end to end delivery ....including customs, freight etc etc ...You need to get the goods delivered to their address in NY and they take care of the rest ...But think it may be expensive given the weight we are looking at.

Perhaps you can talk to Anil Jangra of Tiny Controls, Delhi and see if
you can work out a deal for a group buy of CNC routed front baffles.
That is not his normal line of business, but he is an avid DIYer and
may oblige.
That would simplify the build enormously, as the baffle is the one
which local carpenters mess up, and it is not too hard to ship
just the baffles to folks as it's a small flat pack.

Stepper motor driver manufacturer, dealer in New Delhi India

good idea. Only that I don't exactly know what to ask him :)
I can be local contact for this work in delhi. What about rest of the cabinet, bracing etc?

trying to figure out the difference between original and encore versions for both stereo and center channel.
Given below are quotes from Danny's posts / replies:
Centre channel is a matching MTM in a sealed box using a pair of the 16 ohm woofers in parallel.
What are the exact differences between the "original X-LS" and the "X-LS Encore" kits and also between "original X-CS & X-CS Encore" kits?
The Encore series uses the Peerless tweeter. It is one of the best dome tweeters on the market. Also a lot more expensive than the tweeter in the standard (or classic) version.

I would need some help for building the cabinets
Here you go:
Perhaps you can talk to Anil Jangra of Tiny Controls, Delhi and see if you can work out a deal for a group buy of CNC routed front baffles.
We can also explore chaps willing to do this in other cities. AFA my build is concerned, I'm going to keep this under wraps till I decide to make my HT setup.

how efficient are these speakers? Will regular AVRs be able to drive them to good volume levels for a movie setup, in a largish room?

good idea. Only that I don't exactly know what to ask him :)
I can be local contact for this work in delhi. What about rest of the cabinet, bracing etc?

Give him the build plan and ask him to make the whole thing. If he makes faces, praise him and ask him to make just the front baffle, then catch hold of a good carpenter and he should be able to do the rest of it in a jiffy.:D

Last edited:
capt - under wraps means you will not tell anyone or do you mean u will not work on cabinets till you decide :)

SnS is a service offered by Aramex ( if I'm not mistaken) where they quote a price for end to end delivery ....You need to get the goods delivered to their address in NY and they take care of the rest
This is correct, except
including customs, etc
It does not include Customs, only freight.

...But think it may be expensive given the weight we are looking at.
They charge 10.0 USD for 1 lbs and afterwards 8.0 USD/lbs additional. Only point here is from US to India it takes 1 week straight and always traceable online. Only caveat is that their phone/email CC never worked to my queries.

I am not sure about ocean but if it comes in months also, it should be okay.

Hi Capt.

Great initiative, hope we can get this group buy going & achieve the end result :rolleyes:

I know a speaker guy who will make the cabs as per the plan - he is based in Navi Mumbai & have requested him to join the forum, that way he can provide his expertise too for our benefit.
About peerless drivers, they are available in the local market, can you provide the model no of the ones used by Danny, can find out if we can get them cheaper out here.
What say?

It does not include Customs, only freight.
OK..They will pay the duty on our behalf .So no hassles with going to customs dept etc etc ..
They charge 10.0 USD for 1 lbs and afterwards 8.0 USD/lbs additional. Only point here is from US to India it takes 1 week straight and always traceable online. Only caveat is that their phone/email CC never worked to my queries.
I am not sure about ocean but if it comes in months also, it should be okay.
Think ocean freight will be a lot cheaper...SnS is basically AirFreight, useful for small electronic items.

I know a speaker guy who will make the cabs as per the plan - he is based in Navi Mumbai & have requested him to join the forum, that way he can provide his expertise too for our benefit.
Great news ...If this clicks, you get the best of both worlds ....nice speakers at DIY prices without getting into DIY part of it ..Will be very useful for those who may find it difficult to DIY yet want the DIY experience ...
This may also be a service which can be used for other projects as well by other members .

Can we move this thread to Group Buy section so that we get wider(?) publicity ?
Good idea. Let us all PM the supermod.
Think you misunderstood me ...What I meant was that we could start looking out for possible fabrication avenues once we place order on Danny ..So that by the time the drivers get here, we have a plan ready for execution ...Reduces the time for the final speakers to land up at their destinations.
Gotcha. Okie Dokie
with ocean shipping coming to picture, can cabinets be imported as well?
Danny doesn't supply cabinets.
how efficient are these speakers? Will regular AVRs be able to drive them to good volume levels for a movie setup, in a largish room?
A mid powered AVR should be able to do but not the entry level ones.
capt - under wraps means you will not tell anyone or do you mean u will not work on cabinets till you decide :)
It is both.:D:lol:
Great going.
About peerless drivers, they are available in the local market, can you provide the model no of the ones used by Danny, can find out if we can get them cheaper out here.
This is a complete kit including drivers, crossovers, bass ports and even wires and screws. He will give box plan also. If you source drivers locally, who will design the box plan, crossovers etc. Do you think we will be able to do it?

This is a complete kit including drivers, crossovers, bass ports and even wires and screws. He will give box plan also. If you source drivers locally, who will design the box plan, crossovers etc. Do you think we will be able to do it?
I think, we should go for complete kit and take the box plan for local fabrication.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back