Best external CD/DVD writer

I have downloaded the files. Hoping that, i find differences in my moderately resolving system. Thanks!
Welcome. Please drop a post in my thread after you cast your vote. It will help to keep the thread alive, in turn more users can access the test. More the data, much conclusive the result is.

Are you suggesting its better to use USB optical drives that are externally powered? Than the ones the are powered by the same data cable that connects to the laptop/desktop.

Yes, my recommendation is to use USB optical drives which has external power supply.

Is it available in India?
I imported Plextor from Amazon.com USA and OWC from EBAY Denmark. I got them door delivered in 3 weeks.

Any reason why externaly powered writer is better than usb powered?

feel Differences in the SPL level of sound output. if i have burned in USB powered drives or even those drives which are built in a laptop, i have to pump up the vol in my headunit (car audio), this raises the noise floor overall.

Welcome. Please drop a post in my thread after you cast your vote. It will help to keep the thread alive, in turn more users can access the test. More the data, much conclusive the result is.
Sure ji! I'll do.
Yes, my recommendation is to use USB optical drives which has external power supply.
Looks like these drives are difficult to get locally. I bought a DELL DP10N for a reasonable price locally from Kochi. My neighbor who's a photographer and a designer has been extensively using this drive and helped me get this, without me actually stepping out from the house.
i have to pump up the vol in my headunit
As long as the difference lies only in the volume levels/loudness, I'm fine.

Thanks for the suggestions all.

I imported Plextor from Amazon.com USA and OWC from EBAY Denmark. I got them door delivered in 3 weeks.

If we are only planning to rip CDs will it make differnce? I mean between external powered and from usb powered?

Thanks
Renjith

feel Differences in the SPL level of sound output. if i have burned in USB powered drives or even those drives which are built in a laptop, i have to pump up the vol in my headunit (car audio), this raises the noise floor overall.
I have following questions..

1. Are these experiences based on your listening only? Or did you technically chacked & compared the amplitude & noise level by using, for example, an audio editor?
2. Have you compared two files in controlled environment? Just like, writing same file, using same burning software & settings, using same blank media.
3. What happens when you compare burning disk other than audio CD, for example a data disk (CD or DVD whatever it be)? Is there any change?

I have following questions..

1. Are these experiences based on your listening only? Or did you technically chacked & compared the amplitude & noise level by using, for example, an audio editor?
2. Have you compared two files in controlled environment? Just like, writing same file, using same burning software & settings, using same blank media.
3. What happens when you compare burning disk other than audio CD, for example a data disk (CD or DVD whatever it be)? Is there any change?

It's based on my listening and some of the fellow car audio listeners as well observation as well. It's well evident that discs burner puts low volume. Now to compensate that I increase the volume.. but the overall sound output is not satisfactory in car audio.

The other options I didn't try..

If a drive matters on sound quality, then what about the disk itself? Possibly different branded blank cds can also affect effectiveness in writing ? How abou the drive from which it’s read and RAM which buffers it? They all vary in the chain between source PCs. If drives can make the difference, can’t all these variables also affect ?

It's based on my listening and some of the fellow car audio listeners as well observation as well. It's well evident that discs burner puts low volume. Now to compensate that I increase the volume.. but the overall sound output is not satisfactory in car audio.

The other options I didn't try..
May be burning software had some place to mess up with the gain? I think instead of ripping and making a copy, making an image of the cd and then burning the image to another would not make any difference other than some bit error if any in process of writing. That way, it wouldn’t affect the gain of the cd. I could be wrong and would be happy to be educated on this. Never gave enough attention to things like this before

Last edited:
@balavignesh002 @Passive_audio_enthusiast we have many (mis)conceptions about digital media, that I belive purely came from analog world. Just to give you some example that causes variability in analog recording -
1. Recording deck
2. Recorder settings
3. Quality/brand of recording tape/cassette

All these three factors affects recording quality in analog cassette. Moreover, copying a cassette degrades its sounds. All these are proven facts. Surprisingly, anyone can find these concepts in digital worlds too. Just like the following points to summerise -
1. CD copy affects sound quality
2. Burner have an effect on copied material
3. Burning software have an effect on copy quality
4. Different brand of disk have impact on copy quality

Now, all these point are summerised on the basis on what I "think". Thinking anything doesnt prove a matter. Digital copying works in a differrent way than analog copy method. And the copied out files can easily be checked by various tools for errors coupled with human perception tools. Since our auditory perception is faulty, and majority time our brain "fool" us, it is good to check the copied files for any copy error using different available tools if someone is really inclined to. There is another point I need to mention, I came across many statements in various places about the apparent difference of output of a copied audio CD, but never saw a discussion about the quality of a copied data CD. If quality suffers in audio CD, it should suffers in data CD too. But do it happens? I can give you some classic example in this regard if you guys are really inclined in this.

Regarding the four points that I have summerised above about my "thinking", I can say that I am already conducting a blindfold test regarding the point 1, i.e. SQ change during CD copy here in hfv. Exciting result of the test is expected. I have plan to conduct similar blindfold test regarding other points too.

@balavignesh002 you can visit my thread regarding the blindfold test if you are interested in the following link.

If quality suffers in audio CD, it should suffers in data CD too. But do it happens? I can give you some classic example in this regard if you guys are really inclined in this.

Differnce between audio and other data? ‘Timing’. Listen to a singer whose timing is off by a few milliseconds to realise the all-important significance of getting the timing of the data packets just right.

Now, all these point are summerised on the basis on what I "think".

Yeah, and music is subjective too. Measurements can prove only so much.

Differnce between audio and other data? ‘Timing’. Listen to a singer whose timing is off by a few milliseconds to realise the all-important significance of getting the timing of the data packets just right.
Is it detectable on blindfold test?

asus or lg bluray writers ext are good. verbatim audiophile grade 700mb blank cds are top of the line i have a few of them and using they are very reliable discs

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back