Best external CD/DVD writer

robin3989

I have a macbook air and it doesn't have an inbuilt cd drive. Now I'm planning to burn my audio collections to discs, please suggest an external cd/dvd drive that I can connect via USB.

Additional question, does the writer used to burn discs have any impact on the quality of audio? I know burning at the slowest speed possible reduces burn errors. But does the writer itself matter?

I have a macbook air and it doesn't have an inbuilt cd drive. Now I'm planning to burn my audio collections to discs, please suggest an external cd/dvd drive that I can connect via USB.

Additional question, does the writer used to burn discs have any impact on the quality of audio? I know burning at the slowest speed possible reduces burn errors. But does the writer itself matter?

I have been using this from 2014. Still now not a single issue I have faced and still functioning perfectly. This costed me just 1485 and now latest models should be even better.

LG Slim Portable GP50NB40 External DVD Writer https://www.amazon.in/dp/B00F08ZKYI/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_api_i_.AuXEb0BZETA0

I’ve used my external Apple USB SuperDrive with my Macbook to copy my legally purchased CDs for use in previous car stereo (didn’t have USB option back then) with good results. Apple sells it at $79. Pricey, but good looking, solidly built and silent.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me ask you guys a question, do you guys get same performance as playing CD while playing the ripped file (flac/wav) from same CD?
I do have a separate DAC but many times I felt CD sounds better as a transport than playing ripped file.
I was using Oppo 103 as transport for playing ripped file using hard disk.

Kindly refer to this...you may or may not get the answer.

Kindly refer to this...you may or may not get the answer.
I was just about to refer @renjith lal to my tread. Thanks @RRR anyway

I do have a separate DAC but many times I felt CD sounds better as a transport than playing ripped file.
I was using Oppo 103 as transport for playing ripped file using hard disk.
Thats because your media player of PC has an impact on SQ on the played song.

I just wanted someone to ask these questions. Apparently there is no change of SQ detected during writing on various writer. However, presentation of the statement in this casual way is not enough to prove. I already have a plan to conduct a blindfold test on this topic in near future, many thanks to you for asking this in the mean time.

Regarding writing speed I can say that modern CD & writers are very less prone to do a write error if it is situated in a standard system. However, its an observation only. Its very difficult & troublesome to prove.

For the time being, I request everyone to take part in my blindfold test in the following thread. Its a small & easy test. You just need to cast your vote in a poll.

Thanks & Regards.

Hi
Why don't u go for blu ray writer instead? more backup on less discs. u can still burn dvds on it if u desire for playing purposes.

I’ve used my external Apple USB SuperDrive with my Macbook to copy my legally purchased CDs for use in previous car stereo (didn’t have USB option back then) with good results. Apple sells it at $79. Pricey, but good looking, solidly built and silent.

Oh, that's pricey! Also does it have compatibility issues with Windows and other operating systems, I have had an iPhone 4, and then a 5S. When 5S failed, I switched to Android and never turned back to iPhone. Macbook air that I have is from that era, it works just fine, minimal restrictions, fast and hassle free OS. But I have been having windows compatibility issues with external HDD and flash drives that are formatted using apple default file system.

just wanted someone to ask these questions. Apparently there is no change of SQ detected during writing on various writer. However, presentation of the statement in this casual way is not enough to prove. I already have a plan to conduct a blindfold test on this topic in near future, many thanks to you for asking this in the mean time.
Ha ha. If one thinks they are determined to get the best within budget, these silly questions come up. And thanks for assuring there are no changes in SQ when different writers are used (At this point, not bothered about the facts backing it). I understand that finding the best writer could be difficult based on listening tests alone. Also, I doubt if any relevant details are published by the drive manufacturers themselves for this matter.
I request everyone to take part in my blindfold test in the following thread. Its a small & easy test. You j
I have downloaded the files. Hoping that, i find differences in my moderately resolving system. Thanks!

Hi
Why don't u go for blu ray writer instead? more backup on less discs. u can still burn dvds on it if u desire for playing purposes.
I have all my collections stored in HDD, and so far i have used laptop and Digione signature as the transport. As I'm interested in trying out a CD player, the current scope of writer would be to basically burn the files and create an audio disc. I have no plans to burn Blu-ray or DVD discs, but most common writers nowadays should be able to burn DVDs, if not Blu-rays, no?

Have been using a similar Asus model for several years for CD ripping.
Do bear in mind that the CD blank discs need to be of good quality.
Some of the better ones have stopped manufacturing.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back