Best gear to go with Wharfedale Linton at a reasonable cost

nitinmi9

Hi everyone,

I have been a regular reader of this esteemed forum and really appreciate all the knowledge shared here.

For last few months, I have been struggling to take a call on something. Thought of posting here and taking inputs.

Currently, my set-up includes -

- Lintons
- SMSL D300
- Customised O&B power amplifier

Its working fine but feels dry many a times. Misses the body and the lushness. I am not an audiophile and cannot express it in technical words, but I hope many experts here would be able to relate based on the above combination.

I have been thinking of few alternatives.

1. put in a pre-amp in the chain, or
2. replace O&B with Brio, or
3. Just do away with DAC and power amp and replace it with an integrated amp e.g., Rotel A11 Tribute

Pls do suggest.

Hi everyone,

I have been a regular reader of this esteemed forum and really appreciate all the knowledge shared here.

For last few months, I have been struggling to take a call on something. Thought of posting here and taking inputs.

- Lintons
- SMSL D300

Its working fine but feels dry many a times. Misses the body and the lushness. I am not an audiophile and cannot express it in technical words, but I hope many experts here would be able to relate based on the above combination.

3. Just do away with DAC and power amp and replace it with an integrated amp e.g., Rotel A11 Tribute

Pls do suggest.
Hi nitinmi :)

Iam not familiar with the exact chain you are using. But there are plenty of Linton fans here, who can chip in with their observations like @amrutmhatre90 etc.

But I doubt if anyone is finding the Lintons lean and dry, as they are voiced to be a warm sound. So the lean and dry seems to stem from the analogue output stage of the SMSL, which is probably not able to drive the O&B power amps adequately. So a preamp might do the trick.

Alternately, it might be worth a try to introduce a tube buffer between the SMSL dac and O&B power amp. These buffer's usually remove the impedance mismatches to a good extent. And Tubes usually add that body and lushness that you are seeking. But I would wait till the Linton users chip in, before going shopping :p

Hi nitinmi :)

Iam not familiar with the exact chain you are using. But there are plenty of Linton fans here, who can chip in with their observations like @amrutmhatre90 etc.

But I doubt if anyone is finding the Lintons lean and dry, as they are voiced to be a warm sound. So the lean and dry seems to stem from the analogue output stage of the SMSL, which is probably not able to drive the O&B power amps adequately. So a preamp might do the trick.

Alternately, it might be worth a try to introduce a tube buffer between the SMSL dac and O&B power amp. These buffer's usually remove the impedance mismatches to a good extent. And Tubes usually add that body and lushness that you are seeking. But I would wait till the Linton users chip in, before going shopping :p
Hello sir,

Thanks a ton for your reply.

Your suggestions are well noted 😊

Pls do make suggestions on preamp and buffer (value for money and nothing very expensive pls)

Look forward to comments from the linton lovers

Post by @amrutmhatre90 was the reason I had gone ahead with O&B and I look forward to his suggestions. I do regularly check his YouTube videos too 😊

Thanks for tagging me @Yelamanchili manohar

Hi @nitinmi9

With Lintons these won't give you the warmth if your chasing, O&B is neutral and I see no Pre Amp in your chain with just dac in it, it will be sound neutral.

I own Wharfedale Lintons, and recently had a chance to audition them with O&B power amps. Aniket was kind enough to get the monster home and try it out.
Its superb power amplifier, the control it has on bass is top class. Depth and imaging is very very good.
Can reach 85-90db easily without feeling bright or fatiguing. Only Amp I think I wanted to hear it louder!

EverSolo was used as a pre amp, but I think it didn’t do justice to this amp at all. Needs a good stand alone Pre Amp which can match this.

You need a good pre amp to make it sing the way you want, what are you chasing ? I mean sound signature.
I see you too are from Mumbai, you can drop by my place to heat Lintons with different amps :)

Hi everyone,

- Lintons
- SMSL D300

Pls do suggest.
I guess it is the D300 dac the culprit here. It doesn't have much bass, or bass punch and perhaps a bit lean sounding with some songs. If you can, lend a different DAC from your friend and try it out.

Thanks for tagging me @Yelamanchili manohar

Hi @nitinmi9

With Lintons these won't give you the warmth if your chasing, O&B is neutral and I see no Pre Amp in your chain with just dac in it, it will be sound neutral.

I own Wharfedale Lintons, and recently had a chance to audition them with O&B power amps. Aniket was kind enough to get the monster home and try it out.
Its superb power amplifier, the control it has on bass is top class. Depth and imaging is very very good.
Can reach 85-90db easily without feeling bright or fatiguing. Only Amp I think I wanted to hear it louder!

EverSolo was used as a pre amp, but I think it didn’t do justice to this amp at all. Needs a good stand alone Pre Amp which can match this.

You need a good pre amp to make it sing the way you want, what are you chasing ? I mean sound signature.
I see you too are from Mumbai, you can drop by my place to heat Lintons with different amps :)
Thanks for your reply @amrutmhatre90

Given how much you have spent time with lintons, your suggestions are very valuable.

We shall surely catch up in Mumbai for me to listen to your work and you to listen to my set-up and highlight the weakness and the solution.

I guess it is the D300 dac the culprit here. It doesn't have much bass, or bass punch and perhaps a bit lean sounding with some songs. If you can, lend a different DAC from your friend and try it out.
@ajuvignesh thanks for your reply.

With regard to D300, I guess I have become the victim of paid highly rated reviewers 😁

D300 volume control is digital not analog. You are truncating bits when not using a preamp.

One thing I can say is O&B is definitely not dry. I run my ATCs using O&B monos and they are very smooth sounding with a full mid range.
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Any good preamp suggestions for the chain?

Mostly Spotify through apple tv or usb
Previously was using a much cheaper combination of tower speakers of rave audio + acrylic streamer s50 and crown amp (1/4th of the current set-up cost)

That was a formidable set-up with somehow working quite well for my ears.

Source was same.

Current set-up is definitely more resolving (not a night and day difference) but for many songs misses the connect.

I have Wharfedale Lintons.

To my ears, they sound good with every integrated amp I have tried.

My normal setup is Denon DNP-800NE -> Denon PMA-2500NE -> Lintons

Have tried with Marantz PM7000N and the Marantz PM8006.

Since you mostly listen to Spotify (like me), I would recommend the Marantz PM7000N to go with your Lintons.
All in one solution that sounds great.

I have Wharfedale Lintons.

To my ears, they sound good with every integrated amp I have tried.

My normal setup is Denon DNP-800NE -> Denon PMA-2500NE -> Lintons

Have tried with Marantz PM7000N and the Marantz PM8006.

Since you mostly listen to Spotify (like me), I would recommend the Marantz PM7000N to go with your Lintons.
All in one solution that sounds great.
Thank U @argho

Will surely check out.

Acoustic portrait swara is the best option sonically in that budget.

If you want to stay under that budget, then the parasound jc2 clone is also a nice option.

Acoustic portrait swara is the best option sonically in that budget.

If you want to stay under that budget, then the parasound jc2 clone is also a nice option.
Many thanks for the suggestions.

I am presuming of acosutic portrait you are recommending tube preamp and not the tube buffer?

Also any experience with emotiva preamp?

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back