Best GPS for India?

My first GPS navigation device was satnav(paid Rs 2500 for maps), I have used it on my iMate mobile with the help of external blue-tooth receiver. I found it is lacking refresh speed and moreover maps were not accurate when I traveled from bangalore to kerala(2007).

Second experience was blackberry 8310 with inbuilt GPS and google maps, I found it is slower than above and no voice guided navigation was available.

Third was Mapmyindia navigator I bought for Rs. 17999 (2008), I found this is very useful and provide almost accurate navigation with voice. Recently I updated it to latest version and found it is near 100% accurate.

Fourth was Nokia 5800 with ovi maps and found it is the worst in accuracy of maps. It seems the maps is around 3-4 year old.

Recently I bought a samsung i5700 android mobile, This mobile uses 800Mhz processor, but still it is slower than the dedicated device. I found it is accurate but it takes long time to route recalculation in case you miss a turn.

Final recomendation from my experience is that always go for a dedicated GPS navigation system from mapmyindia/satnav if you want to reach your destination ontime .

Last edited:
I am almost sold on the Garmin Asus M10 phone. The only downside as I see it is it has a Windows Mobile OS loaded :). What do people here think?

Are you a Linux developer/programmer by any chance, Gobble? :)

Seriously I am also thinking twice about the Windows Mobile OS. Especially since its going to be replaced with a new version in a few months. Wonder whether any of the Android phones from HTC will work as both phone and GPS device providing turn by turn directions....

Are you a Linux developer/programmer by any chance, Gobble? :)

Seriously I am also thinking twice about the Windows Mobile OS. Especially since its going to be replaced with a new version in a few months. Wonder whether any of the Android phones from HTC will work as both phone and GPS device providing turn by turn directions....

I am an ex-geek on Linux platform. but I am not a M$ basher although I avoid it due to security concerns. I was just kidding you :)

Cheers.

I am almost sold on the Garmin Asus M10 phone. The only downside as I see it is it has a Windows Mobile OS loaded :). What do people here think?

Almost 70% of the GPS device are run on Windows Mobile OS, among this 80% is on Windows CE.

Well the Windows Mobile OS is going to be revamped soon and I am not sure if this device will have the ability to go to the new OS. I fear not....

Well the Windows Mobile OS is going to be revamped soon and I am not sure if this device will have the ability to go to the new OS. I fear not....

You are right, None of these device can be upgraded to new windows 7 mobile OS not even to 6.5. For best performance windows 7 mobile need 1GHz processor.

I dont think any of the existing PND manufactures will switch to latest windows OS because it is unnecessary to pay royalty and all existing device does not have 1 GHz snapdragon processor.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back