Best HTiB

razaa

hi,

Please give ur advice for best HTiB for 65% Music and 35% DVD films. my budget 25K around.

I have DVDp. I want particularly HTiB 5.1 alone

Please guide me

Last edited:
Hi,

HtiB's are normally good for Movies, when it comes to Music they can be good or OK but not best or great.

You can go to Philips arena and audition their Htib's lineup. I auditioned and felt Philips does a decent job in terms of both music and movies and it is also within your price range.

Thanks,
Prakash.

If you can swap the numbers, a HTiB would be a good fit - especially in your budget you can check out from onkyo.

The primary intent of a HITB is movies. In your case it seems like you would be using this more for music. Why not an entry level setup with a CA 340 combo and 902i/9.1

Sorry, couldn't be of much help here.

EDIT: Dint see the DVD part, in which case you can use the cdp money for getting a decent sub for the time being. An other options is to get in touch with hifipal4all/ramesh.

Last edited:
In Philips there is no Optical In. I have checked all the Philips model.

Hi,

Yes there is no optical input in Philips. But i think we don't need optical link(just my opinion). You can always use co-axial output. Optical cable is required only when the distance is long. For home use like us coaxial cable is really good.

Thanks,
Prakash.

hi,

Please give ur advice for best HTiB for 65% Music and 35% DVD films. my budget 25K around.

Please guide me

Hi Razaa,
For your budget I can only think of the Onkyo 3105. It's got the Optical digital-in that you require.It does not have a Subwoofer out, though it does have a passive sub.That should not deter you from buying one.
In fact the Amp section is quite good.Audition it.If you like it, go for it. And in future when budget permits get a good bookshelf speaker for the fronts alone.
Example the Wharfedale 9.1 costs around 10-11K, and matches very well with the receiver of 3105. you'll have a very good sounding setup both for Music and Movies alike.:licklips:

Good Luck,
Samuel

Hi Samuel,

Can i go for Onkyo 5105 ?.. In that what is pre out sub woofer?.. what is the diff of sub woofer out / pre out. Whether i can get good quality music there?.

one more question. My requirement is my sound card (computer) have RCA 5.1 out. My games is having Optical out. I want this both the things. In philips this two are not there. through converter can i convert Optical to Coaxial . because lot of person advising me to go for Philips. Can I manage my requirements with converter / cables?.

My requirements are fullfilled in Sony 390K (new) models and in Onkyo 5105. But from this froum i came to known this two system is not good for music.

Please advice me

Hi Samuel,

Can i go for Onkyo 5105 ?
Oh Yes Razaa you can very well go for the 5105.
In that what is pre out sub woofer?.. what is the diff of sub woofer out / pre out. Whether i can get good quality music there?
A Subwoofer out is also known as LFE out (Low Frequency Effects output).
Typically frequencies below 150Hz are sent by the receiver through this jack.
DD5.1 and DTS have dedicated LFE channel encoded.So when the receiver detects the signal it'll automatically send the signal to the sub out or LFE out. So if you have an Active Subwoofer connected (Subwoofer with built-in Amp), it'll produce all the bass effects sent thru the LFE channel.If you switch it off all the bass will be redirected to the main speakers.

My requirement is my sound card (computer) have RCA 5.1 out. My games is having Optical out
You have both the options in Onkyo (Analog 5.1in + Optical in + Digital Co-axial in) and You also have HDMI (High Definition Media Interface) pass through.
There are converters available but I personally don't recommend them.
Moreover a good cable converter will set you back by a couple of thousands.

I can't comment on Philips as I've not heard it.
But the Onkyo 5105 has a true AV Receiver.You can easily add better speakers in the near future and take the sound quality to the next level.
:licklips:
My requirements are fullfilled in Sony 390K (new) models and in Onkyo 5105. But from this froum i came to known this two system is not good for music.

What sounds good to you means the most.And what does "good sound" mean...you need to audition,Everything that you shortlist.;) And pick the best one.

And finally a word , HTiB(Home Theatre in a Box) are generally tuned more for Movie performance than Music reproduction.
The satellite speakers which comes with the package are often and in most cases are tuned for movies.Their frequency response falls sharply in the lower mid bass and bass region.Even some well known Hitb speakers struggle to produce 100hz with authority and without booming.
But this is where the subwoofer comes to the rescue.The subwoofer provides the low frequency grip that the satellites seriously requires.
So overall adding a quality Bass Foundation in any system or setup will add to the quality of the sound reproduced.:)
So again the 5105's receiver is a capable receiver which can handle much better speakers.So you need not have any doubt regarding that.
Finally it all comes down to money.I say for the price this system is loaded.

There are options from Denon & Yamaha but I don't know about them. I don't know whether they offer the features available in 5105 though the denon will sound good with music and most agree.:rolleyes:

So there you go Razaa , take a serious look at the 5105.I think I've not bored anyone with my long post.
Thanks for reading.Do a good audition over the weekend and decide.
Kindly excuse if you feel I'm biased.Yes I'm biased towards Sound Quality,Feature's and last but not the least Value for Money.
Let's wait & see what other friends are suggesting.
Till then Happy AV hunting.
with best wishes,
Samuel

Onkyo 5105 in X-cite, Bangalore Rs.29K. Is it best price. Today I am going to purchase it ?.

It's been around that for a while now. See if you can bargain for 2K off or at least negotiate for some free cables like a HDMI or a Digital Coaxial Cable.

Again I have talked to Reliance Digital Cunnicum Road. They finally told the price as Rs.28,500/- All inclusive. without any free cable.

At this budget its great VFM. In fact you would not get any assembled ones at this budget. Go for it if that's your budget. If you can afford to spend more then much better systems can be had, but would cost a lot more.

Hi Razaa,
The price seems to be fine.Try to push it to 27-27.5k.
One hot news by one of our member (nanduca & Mandeep) is that onkyo India is going to launch newer 2009 models it seems.
Check out the link:
new_home

So you have a credible reason to bargain the price.
But as per the specs there seems to be no major changes in the model 5205 which is the successor to 5105.If you can wait another month you can get latest models I think.
And razaa since you are almost finalizing it, audition thoroughly and don't Rush. Pick only if you like the sound.There is also an Onkyo + Pure Acoustics package and the 5100 for a slightly higher price.Kindly check out the prices with the dealer and there is no harm in having a Demo of them either.
All the best for your purchase.:yahoo:
Regards,
Samuel

hi,

Please guide me

At 25k I think you can opt for the Onkyo HTS3100 black glossy finish (its the new one) alternatively wait for the HTS3200 to be launched in India ...I think the diff is of HDMI and Game sound modes...(a plus for the Gamers like me):D I think these are well around 25k in Mumbai

Other option is the Yamaha YHT195.But even if u see the forums mostly Onkyo takes over and suits your kind of requirement.

One -ve abt these are that they will not sound grt in the audio ...

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back