Best in class 42" Plasma or LCD

kuld33p

Guys, This is my first post ever to this place. after alot of searching and reading.. I finally decided to ask you my specific questions.

I am looking for an 42" TV..
Plasma or LCD.. any one which is better (heard plasma is good)
Budget 50k

Requirements :

Need 1080p for sure.. (may be this is in my mind.. i would be playing games on PS3 and movies off my HDD.. will 720p Plasma deliver a full HD experience on 42" plasma.. ok sorry i confused you guys.. I am asking what is the difference between a 720p Plasma and 1080p plasma if we run a PS3 or 1080p movies on it.)

well that is all at the moment..

I saw some Panasonic ones.. but plasmas which are full HD are out of budget..

I checked 2 42 inchers on Panasonic India site.. G10 and S10..

Could someone tell me what is the difference.. as per the shop keeper only difference is the G10 got 600Hz sub field drive and S10 has 550..

Edit : one more thing.. if G10 has resolution of 1920x1080, does it mean I will be able to use my PC with this resolution and use it as a monitor.. ( or its a myth and i am running after something which is not even practical)

Last edited:
Guys, This is my first post ever to this place. after alot of searching and reading.. I finally decided to ask you my specific questions.

Budget 50k

Requirements :

Need 1080p for sure.. (may be this is in my mind.. i would be playing games on PS3 and movies off my HDD.. will 720p Plasma deliver a full HD experience on 42" plasma.. ok sorry i confused you guys.. I am asking what is the difference between a 720p Plasma and 1080p plasma if we run a PS3 or 1080p movies on it.)

Edit : one more thing.. if G10 has resolution of 1920x1080, does it mean I will be able to use my PC with this resolution and use it as a monitor.. ( or its a myth and i am running after something which is not even practical)

You should not be able to notice the difference between a 720p set and a 1080p one depending upon the distance from the TV. There is plenty of information around the net and the forum which tell you the ideal distance to notice differences for various sizes.

The sub field drive is definitely not a major feature to factor in for buying a plasma.

The G10 i think would provide a full 1920*1080 only thru HDMI from a PC (the VGA provides 1366*768 only and you may find it soft). You could check out the G10 thread in the forum and possibly request the Indian owners this info.

The last time some of us checked the G10 prices were unjustifiably too high vs the S10 to really warrant its purchase.

Last edited:
Budget 50k
Need 1080p for sure..

At your budget, The only worthwhile 1080p TV (considering LCD/Plasma/Anything) you will get is the panasonic S10. You will find 42" LCDs around this price but it will be worthless!!

Regarding G10 vs S10,

S10 has 900 lines of moving picture resolution vs 1080 lines of G10.
G10 also has slightly better native contrast.

All other differences are negligible to an extent you can ignore (For instance the 550 Hz subfield drive).

For the above features, you can pay 4-5k anything more than that is not worth. Since G10 is currently 15k more, I would pick the S10. There are members in this forum who picked up an S10 @50k after exchange. It should be available for 53-54k if you bargain.

LCDs in that price range cannot hold in front of the S10.

Be noted that if you have a very bright living room comparable to the showroom, You need an LCD and good ones are outside your budget.

Sony has reduced LCD prices recently and you might find one @50k.

I do not think you will be able to notice the difference between 720p and 1080p on a 42 inch TV, unless you intend to sit vey close to the screen.

Suggest that you go for a 720p Plasma. You will get a good one within yr budget. For example, the Samsung 42B450. Why not go down to a showroom and have a look.

Thanks for the reply guys. I got a quote from a dealer who is offering a full HD 37" and 42" 720p Plasma at the same price.. 37k

Which one should I go.. I have a living room which is very bright.. coz of the big window.. Sitting distance would be vary from 3 feet to 20 feet..

which one would you suggest. I would personally like a full HD because i know 720p TV will be things of past in 2 years and I would want to utilize this TV as my Monitor in future rather throwing it away just because it does not support 1920x1080 resolution.. (correct me if I am wrong here..)

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply guys. I got a quote from a dealer who is offering a full HD 37" and 42" 720p Plasma at the same price.. 37k

Which one should I go.. I have a living room which is very bright.. coz of the big window.. Sitting distance would be vary from 3 feet to 20 feet..

which one would you suggest. I would personally like a full HD because i know 720p TV will be things of past in 2 years and I would want to utilize this TV as my Monitor in future rather throwing it away just because it does not support 1920x1080 resolution.. (correct me if I am wrong here..)

You have a bright room and want to use the TV as a monitor.
The plasma TV in question could be the panasonic C10 which does not have antiglare and might not be suited for bright rooms.

Get the 37" LCD. Also what is the LCD model you are talking about?

You have a bright room and want to use the TV as a monitor.
The plasma TV in question could be the panasonic C10 which does not have antiglare and might not be suited for bright rooms.

Get the 37" LCD. Also what is the LCD model you are talking about?

No No, you got me wrong.. i said i will be using it as monitor later on. may be 2-3 years down the line. when a 100" plasma will be cheaper then a 42" of now.
so at that point of time i would not want to sell this TV or throw it away .. so i want a TV with high resolution supported.. atleast 1920x1080

as of now i will be using it as TV only.. in a bright room..

Edit : Oh.. sorry the model is TH-37LZ80

Last edited:
@Kuldeep

I am also searching for a 40/42 inch LCD/Plasma.
Have auditioned few LCDs recently.

My suggestions to you:

1. Samsung Full HD LCD 40B530 (about 53K)
2. Samsung Full HD LCD 40B550 (about 55K)
3. Sony Full HD LCD 40V550 (about 57K)
4. Sony Full HD LCD 40S550 (about 50K)

Sony has a new year offer for limited time (till stock lasts).

-Alok

Last edited:
@Kuldeep

I am also searching for a 40/42 inch LCD/Plasma.
Have auditioned few LCDs recently.

My suggestions to you:

1. Samsung Full HD LCD 40B530 (about 53K)
2. Samsung Full HD LCD 40B550 (about 55K)
3. Sony Full HD LCD 40V550 (about 57K)
4. Sony Full HD LCD 40S550 (about 50K)

Sony has a new year offer for limited time (till stock lasts).

-Alok

Any expert comments on this.. I have searched a lot and found only Panasonic Plasma's to be great with this price range.. not sure about LCDs..

At the budget end of the spectrum Samsung's plasmas are at least as good (if not better than) the Panasonic ones, but the Panasonics come with better resistance to temporary image retention, a 3 year warranty and Panasonic supports their plasma range more than Samsung who are focussing on their LED backlit LCDs......but yes the Samsung budget plasmas are excellent displays and you shoudl definitely at least consider them, keeping the above aspects in mind.

Any expert comments on this.. I have searched a lot and found only Panasonic Plasma's to be great with this price range.. not sure about LCDs..

Panasonic plasma with 1080p has an amazing clarity, the response time/total colours/Contrast Ration are far superior to LCD.

However :rolleyes:people are going for LCD and Plasma is dying out.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back