Best laptop for home/office business?

victorjohn9211

Hi everyone, I've always been a desktop guy - so I have no idea whats decent out there... I'm working remotely more and more these days, and would like to get a good laptop with the following features-

Ram 8-16 GB ( i have multiple tabs, apps open at all times)
SSD for durability
screen size 15 ( I think that's good?)

Don't do any heavy editing, gaming.

Thanks

I would suggest dell as they have really good on-site service. You don't have to go hunting for their service centre in case of issues.

Laptops from hp and lenovo/ibm are also very good. Compare their specs and costs. Pick the one that fits your requirements best.

MaSh

Check out lenovo y540 - there is a variant with nvme 1tb ssd that is quite fast to boot up and access files

Welcome to the forum!

My recommendation would be the Dell Latitude Series.

I don't use a laptop anymore so my info is probably a little dated. However the Dell Latitude series was at the time one of the best platforms available. Top of the line specs are usually standard and long product life cycles meant I could get spares pretty easily and the build quality was much better. Only downside is the relatively higher cost compared to the other offerings.

While Dell / HP etc are good, but based on personal experience, I have found them a major pain in the *# to do a simple task like changing the HDD/SDD or installing extra ram as you have to strip it down to the motherboard level.

In this aspect, Acer is the most user-friendly, as all the ram slots, HDD slots etc are at the back. So very simple to open the back cover, swap and be done with. Acer gives a bit more specs vs price compared to Dell or HP. I would stay away from Lenovo.

In case one is buying a laptop with a little ram and planning to add more ram later, please check the specs - some companies specify for example 8 GB ram and having 2 slots. So we would assume that we could upgrade to 16 or 32 GB by adding 2 x 8 or 2 x 16 GB ram cards. Wrong. Some manufacturers have one of the ram soldered onto the motherboard, so 4 or 8 GB would be fixed. You would have only 1 slot to physically upgrade.

Do let us know which one you end up with and why. Cheers.

I would suggest to go for 13inch model as those are thinner, lighter and well built.
Many manufacturers are making "better" configuration and built quality in their 13 inch model with SSD, 10+ hr battery, touch screen etc.

Dell Xps or HP envy 13 is suggested

Am an Fan of Xiaomi laptops ( it’s Apple MB replicas in terms of looks & build Qlty too) & value for money

I just got a Acer Laptop having I5 7th Gen. 8gbram 550 ssd 15" with 2 yrs. extended gurantee at the price of around 60k. it is good in everthings.
In HP I was only having 250 ssd in the same configration. so I choose acer.

Thanks

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back