Best Place to buy 220/110v Step down transformer for AV Receivers

Anyone in Pune area know place to buy "Isolation Step down transformer" ....i have auto type..1000W for Onkyo 7300 ...but still not setup...cautios

Hi,
I recently got the klipsch promedia 2.1 speaker set. The peak power output mentioned is 200W. I need to get a step down transformer for it. From this thread, it seems that I should get an isolation transformer. What should be the power capacity of the transformer? I think I read that it should be 1.5x of the equipment? Is this absolutely necessary? I called up Vishal electronics(Bangalore), and they quoted 3k for 500W isolation transformer, which seems pretty expensive going by the prices that others have mentioned on this forum. Can you please suggest a few other vendors in Bangalore?

pioneer electronics, 1st floor, pasodya vithoba chowk, budhwar peth, pune 2. go for isolation type transformer. cost more but reliable.

Does anyone know if it is possible to convert the freq. from 50Hz to 60Hz as well along with the voltage conversion? It doesn't seem very easy, and insanely expensive to say the least, but was curious to know if anyone has done it. Vishal elecotrincs told me that their transformers output at 60Hz, about which I am very skeptical. The reason I'm worried is that some user had reported overheating issues with the sub when used with a transformer, and frequency difference could be the culprit. In general, most devices would be tolerant of that 10 Hz difference, but if something isn't, what should be done? Is it possible to change the transformer of the amp inside the subwoofer from 120V/60Hz to 220/50 ?

Last edited:
Hello!

I have used various 110V amplifiers & powered speakers with Arco step down transformers, without any problem whatsoever. In my experience, the frequency issue has not manifested itself on any occasion for amps and subs. I could not find any drop in SQ either.

I have been given to understand that motors are more fussy about 50/60 cycle power, but I haven't tried any CDP or TT to find out.;)

Trust this helps.

Does anyone know if it is possible to convert the freq. from 50Hz to 60Hz as well along with the voltage conversion? It doesn't seem very easy, and insanely expensive to say the least, but was curious to know if anyone has done it. Vishal elecotrincs told me that their transformers output at 60Hz, about which I am very skeptical. The reason I'm worried is that some user had reported overheating issues with the sub when used with a transformer, and frequency difference could be the culprit. In general, most devices would be tolerant of that 10 Hz difference, but if something isn't, what should be done? Is it possible to change the transformer of the amp inside the subwoofer from 120V/60Hz to 220/50 ?

While I dont profess to be a wiz at electronics, I must point out to a couple of points in Sachin's saga that stick out like a sore thumb:

1. The 110V unit was connected directly to a 220V supply and as expected, the internals got fried
2. As far as I can make out, the unit was not checked by any competent technician

IMHO, the issue here seems to be other than the 50/60 hz problem. Along with the fuse, some other resistors/capacitors inside the amp must have been damaged and not attended to, leading to the kind of overheating that Sachin is experiencing. Or, if any of the blown resistors/caps were replaced by the friendly neighbourhood repair man, they were likely replaced with parts having different values, resulting in this kind of overheating. Maybe if he were to get the unit serviced by a good technician, it would work fine.

FWIW, I have been using transformers for about 11 years now, without a single issue......

Cheers

Yes, it's difficult to say what the exact cause for his overheating might be. In any case, I would be trying out the isolation transformer from Vishal in a week or so. That seems to be the only alternative anyway. I would post about the experience soon.

Yes, it's difficult to say what the exact cause for his overheating might be. In any case, I would be trying out the isolation transformer from Vishal in a week or so. That seems to be the only alternative anyway. I would post about the experience soon.

Got the transformer from Vishal yesterday, and have used the speakers for 4-5 hours. So far, so good. No overheating issues observed. Hope it stays that way.

While I dont profess to be a wiz at electronics, I must point out to a couple of points in Sachin's saga that stick out like a sore thumb:

1. The 110V unit was connected directly to a 220V supply and as expected, the internals got fried
2. As far as I can make out, the unit was not checked by any competent technician

IMHO, the issue here seems to be other than the 50/60 hz problem. Along with the fuse, some other resistors/capacitors inside the amp must have been damaged and not attended to, leading to the kind of overheating that Sachin is experiencing. Or, if any of the blown resistors/caps were replaced by the friendly neighbourhood repair man, they were likely replaced with parts having different values, resulting in this kind of overheating. Maybe if he were to get the unit serviced by a good technician, it would work fine.

FWIW, I have been using transformers for about 11 years now, without a single issue......

Cheers

Hello All,
I'm sachin that faced the problem but there is a misunderstanding. I did plug in 110 straight to 220 (how dumb I know) but nothing was fried. Klipsch Promedia, at least the version I have has a very very small fuse that was blown upon being connected, so that did not allow the electric supply and that saved my system. I had to do nothing but get a voltage converter and my system worked just fine. After the thread on Klipsch's forum and further research on the web I found out that 10hz difference can make a lot of difference.

As of now, my transformer is rewinded, I got it done when a local technician suggested. So that has elminated the use of the voltage converter but again the 10hz difference still remains. Earlier I played it anyway but just for 10 mins at the most if I was blasting cause it'll get insanely hot, but now i've played a full blast small fan right behind the subwoofer and it allows be to play loud music comfortably for quite sometime.

I live in Baroda, small city, limited options, incompetent technicians and no access to stores that carry external isolated transformers or step down converter. Maybe if I visit mumbai or pune I can visit one of the places and see what those guys say.

Thank you once again...

Hi,
Can some one give me details about where I can get a 110v step down transformer in Hyderabad. I live in Kondapur area, any places near gachibowli, Miyapur, Hitech city, Madhapur, Kukatpally? or any recommended stores in Secunderabad?
I am looking to a buy a 3KVA. still not sure if I should go for isolation or regular.

Any pointers on buying stepdown in Delhi/NCR. I know of Guru and Bluebird are available in Delhi ..any recommendations from folks in NCR.

do we need step downs? I remember a tweak mentioned for subwoofers and amp for converting 110 to 220 as most international brands have both the taps on their transformers.

do we need step downs? I remember a tweak mentioned for subwoofers and amp for converting 110 to 220 as most international brands have both the taps on their transformers.

Yes, it is possible!

Generally if power supply contains a step-down transformer (and not a SMPS one), manufacturers make transformer to support all voltages and frequency too.

this way they save the cost associated with of getting differently designed transformed manufactured.

The transformer could have upto 5-6 tap for input supply. Using a multi-meter we could figure out which tap is suitable for higher voltage (higher resistance means higher voltage).

this is something I didnt knew for years. I have got a brand new rxv663 purchased in USA which is 110V. what is the procedure to make changes on the transfer ?

I was looking for a step down transformer and came across this MDR Electronics - MX Electronics - Home Theater Cables & Connectors - Computers & Laptop Accessories - Pro Audio / Studio Audio Cables & Connectors - Audio Video Components & Accessories - Fiber Optic Component & Accessories - Cable TV Component & Ac
It says it gives a sinusoidal wave form and goes up to 2500 watts. At that size i don't think anyone can fit a transformer in there that provides 2500 watts, so this has to be some sort of solid state converter, but how does it give a sine wave output ? Does anyone any experience with this product ?

Don't think i'll trust my equipment to this though.

I was looking for a step down transformer and came across this MDR Electronics - MX Electronics - Home Theater Cables & Connectors - Computers & Laptop Accessories - Pro Audio / Studio Audio Cables & Connectors - Audio Video Components & Accessories - Fiber Optic Component & Accessories - Cable TV Component & Ac
It says it gives a sinusoidal wave form and goes up to 2500 watts. At that size i don't think anyone can fit a transformer in there that provides 2500 watts, so this has to be some sort of solid state converter, but how does it give a sine wave output ? Does anyone any experience with this product ?

Don't think i'll trust my equipment to this though.

one of my friends who has bought a PS3 from US is using a similar one without any issues since about 6 months and he has been playing the PS3 almost 4 hrs everyday.!

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back