Best Recording quality on CD

SaReGaMa (Ex. HMV,EMI) CD's are pathetic. I would stick to FM,Worldspace anyday over these CD's.

Hello Saurabh,
then where from FM and Worldspace sourcing their music. Do you mean to say since it is free music that's why quality doesn't pinch that much or the music aired by them is of better quality?
Thanks.

Obviously FM and Worldspace are worse than the original CDs, and you can feel that.
The only exception are people who do not have a decent CD player, so they benefit because of a better source the radio station is using. FM can not carry anything over 15KHz, and WS has a highly compressed MP3ish sound.

Among the FM channels, the private ones are too loud, harsh and fatiguing. Good old Vividhabharti is a mixed bag. It sounds bad most of the time, but surprises you once in a while with an original LP of a well kept old recording.

Thanks,
Sharad

...so, since recording levels, quality, etc., of the different songs in the mix is different, the final CD has its highs and lows..

I agree with your observations, but I am kind of glad that they are not normalizing the sound levels etc. They would surely mess it up further.

HamaraCd is quite useful if you are looking for songs from the 1930s and 1940s which are not easily available otherwise. I have bought 34 CDs from these folks till now. The results have been mixed, but still better than all other options I had, except the original LP frombollywoodvinyl.com. I do buy the unused, sealed new LPs from them but they are pretty expensive.

Regards,
Sharad

---------------------------------------------------------------
Check out some of the songs from the last two CDs I got from HamaraCD:
*AB YAAD NA KAR *MEENA KAPOOR
*BEIMAAN TORE NAINWAN *LATA MANGESHKAR
*MATWALE NAINON WALE *LATA MANGESHKAR
*TUMHARE BULANE KO *LATA MANGESHKAR
*YAAD RAKHNA CHAND *LATA MANGESHKAR,MUKESH
*BADLI TERI NAZAR *LATA MANGESHKAR
*BAS EK CHUPSI LAGI *LATA MANGESHKAR
*KAHE JIYA BOLE *UMA DEVI
*ZINDAGI KITNI(REVIVAL) *LATA MANGESHKAR
*AAYI BHOR SUHANI *LATA MANGESHKAR
*ANKHON SE DOOR JAKE *LATA MANGESHKAR
*CHALE JAIYO BEDARDA *RAJKUMARI
*MAN MEIN NACHE MAN *LATA MANGESHKAR
*RAHI MATWALE *SURAIYA,TALAT MAHMOOD
*NINDIYAN AAYI RE *RAJKUMARI
*AB TERE SIWA KAUN MERA *AMIR BAI
*YAAD TERI ZINDAGI KA *ASHA BHOSLE
*YA ILAHI HO MUBARAK *ASHA BHOSLE
*MERE SARKAR TERE ISHQ *ASHA BHOSLE
*JEEVAN SAPNA(MALE) *MUKESH
*JEEVAN SAPNA(FEMALE) *LATA MANGESHKAR
*MERE LIYE WOH *LATA MANGESHKAR
*MERE LIYE WOH *MEENA KAPOOR
*AB YAAD NA KAR *LATA MANGESHKAR,MUKESH
*EK DIL KA LAGANA *LATA MANGESHKAR
*AE DIL MERI WAFA *LATA MANGESHKAR,IRA NAGRATH
*BADARIYA BARAS GAYI *KHURSHEED,HAMIDA,MUKESH
*HE CHANDRAVADAN *RAJKUMARI
*BEENA MADHUR MADHUR *SARASWATI RANE
*NEEND HAMARI *G.M.DURRANI
*KYON YAAD AA RAHE *SURENDRA
*CHANE JOR GARAM *ARUN KUMAR,CHORUS
*PIYA MILAN KO JANA *PANKAJ MULLICK
*DO NAINA MATWARE *PANKAJ MULLICK
*CHANDA RE JA RE *LATA
*BAHAREN PHIR BHI *LATA MANGESHKAR
*EK TEER CHALA *RAJKUMARI
*MUSHKIL HAI BAHUT *LATA MANGESHKAR
---------------------------------------------------------------

Hello Sharad,
that's a very interesting list of songs. I haven't heard most of them. I see that you have put two songs of Pankaj Mullick. I didn't know that he sang in hindi movies I have only heard his bengali songs.but couple of weeks ago I discovered in my house two of his LPs which are colletion of hindi film songs by him. There I heard this song piya milan ko jana. I have come across this interesting site which has list of most of records published by various companies in India.
The Gramophone Company of India (HMV) Records Listing: PEALP/PEASD

I find it quite useful to see what was available.
Thanks.

Dear Mahiruha,

I spent some time looking at the various Kishore collections in HMV. They have generated many combinations under many different titles.

The classic revival is same voice, same original instruments and new recordings. The original instruments have been used to recreate the music and the original voice has been overlaid on this. Therefore, as Raghav i think said, only the voice is origina. Everything else is new. So this might rob you of some sentiment, but the quality will be better.

The ony other choice seems to be the Golden Collection, which pretty much covers all the artistes that you are looking for. It is "digitally remastered", unlike their Legends collection. It is also slightly more expensive than Legends. You may want to try one of them and see if the recording quality is acceptable. I like the cardboard boxes they come in. Give you a feel similiar to reading a hardbound book.

Anyway Indian companies or music producers were not quality conscious in the past...
AFAIK sholay was first Stereophonic movie which was a revolution . Post sholay too adaptation was slow...

In fact I want to ask that Pre Sholay was the recordings were all mono ? and what about quality? anyone know this ? As if input (recording ) quality is bad what better output you can expect-- be it on CD or Lp or Cassette?

BTW heard some stories about HMV - they had quarrels with some singers ,composers and out of anger destroyed their masters!! Dont know how true this story is but heard that even HMV does not have all master copies of songs released

BTW talat mehmood's last recording " gazal ke saaz utao " ,I never found it's CD or casette ,maybe it was never released on CD as I saw the caettes ..for long this Non Film Gazal album was out of stock!

Year back I found this album on net - on talat mehmood's son's site in MP3 format!
Link to site for talat lovers
A Golden Voice - Talat Mahmood

Link to songs ( There are many others!)

TALAT NON FILM GEETS & GHAZALS

any online LP is available on bollvinyl-anyone used their service?

Talaat Mahmood - Ghazal Ke Saaz Uthao - Brand new ghazal LP

Enjoy!

Being a fan of Kishore Kumar and old songs from films I ordered a couple a cds from Hamara Cd,but to my disappontment the SQ is pathatic. So while setting up internet radio on my Nr905 from Free Internet Radio - SHOUTcast Radio - Thousands of Free Online Radio Stations I cam across this radio station called Radio NRI with Bollywood Classic Numbers and to my surprise the sound quality is very good in comparison with any old songs avaliable with Hamara Cd or in the market. Since then I just could not stop listening to this station and savour my ears with the oldies once again.

Does anyone have a good CD/cassette recording of Lata and Rafi live at Royal Albert Hall?
Those were supposed to be some of their best recordings as the British Engineers were in charge. My dad had the cassette...but I never had a proper audio setup then. Now that I have bought a decent hifi setup...I lost the music.:sad:

The HMV CDs that I bought, sound terrible.

Does anyone have a good CD/cassette recording of Lata and Rafi live at Royal Albert Hall?
Those were supposed to be some of their best recordings as the British Engineers were in charge. My dad had the cassette...but I never had a proper audio setup then. Now that I have bought a decent hifi setup...I lost the music.:sad:

The HMV CDs that I bought, sound terrible.

Got some Vinyls
1) Lata mangeshkar -Live at royal albert hall-1974
2) Mukesh & Lata- Live REcordings in US & Canda-1976
3) Pnakaj Udhas -Live at oyal albert hall

I have a few of the Lata/Rafi songs from Microsoft Zune audio store in wma format and they sound fantastic. AFAIK, these are created from the master recordings and not from the CDs. Worth checking out. They have more than 5k Hindi songs.

Got some Vinyls
1) Lata mangeshkar -Live at royal albert hall-1974
2) Mukesh & Lata- Live REcordings in US & Canda-1976
3) Pnakaj Udhas -Live at oyal albert hall

Thanks for the info.
Unfortunately I dont have a Vinyl setup.

How would you rate your LPs? Would have loved to have a listen..
Ever considered ripping those LPs to something like DVD-A ? I have heard people do that with great success. But that has to be sourced from a pristine LP and a decent soundcard !!

I have a few of the Lata/Rafi songs from Microsoft Zune audio store in wma format and they sound fantastic. AFAIK, these are created from the master recordings and not from the CDs. Worth checking out. They have more than 5k Hindi songs.

Whats the bitrate of the songs?
Had a look around Zune store. Listened to a few previews....sounded quite compressed. Microsoft make you download tonnes of their software to do any work... Bit irritating.

Are the actual albums better than the preview? Didnt see them mentioning anywhere that they had access to original records.

Listening to the Japanese pressing of Rumors from Fleetwood Mac. This is hands down the best pressing of this album I've heard so far. Its sounds incredibly analog'ish with no trace of digital harshness.

Had a look around Zune store. Listened to a few previews....sounded quite compressed. Microsoft make you download tonnes of their software to do any work... Bit irritating.

Are the actual albums better than the preview? Didnt see them mentioning anywhere that they had access to original records.

Hi Bergcamp,
if you want good quality recording of the Golden oldies then there is no other choice than vinyls. New vinyls are not available. If you are so keen best thing is to arannge a moderate vinyl rig with project Debut III get few old records. you need to wash the old records with ispropyl alcohol and distilled water and it works like a charm.Also do get a pair of plastic gloves it helps in the bathing ritual of vinyls. I do it few times every month and I just love it.The records mentioned by Hemant are very good.Actullt all the live concerts of these artists has very good recording.
Thanks.

Thanks for the info.
Unfortunately I dont have a Vinyl setup.

How would you rate your LPs? Would have loved to have a listen..
Ever considered ripping those LPs to something like DVD-A ? I have heard people do that with great success. But that has to be sourced from a pristine LP and a decent soundcard !!

MY TT went kaupt 2-3 months back.
So never heard those.Just bought it!

Listening to the Japanese pressing of Rumors from Fleetwood Mac. This is hands down the best pressing of this album I've heard so far. Its sounds incredibly analog'ish with no trace of digital harshness.

I agree man! In fact most of the Jap pressings are way superior to any other... I have a lot of Jap pressings of Deep Purple and Dylan... They sound way way better than the american and english ones.

There should be no reason for this, but somehow it is....

Hi Bergcamp,
if you want good quality recording of the Golden oldies then there is no other choice than vinyls. New vinyls are not available. If you are so keen best thing is to arannge a moderate vinyl rig with project Debut III get few old records. you need to wash the old records with ispropyl alcohol and distilled water and it works like a charm.Also do get a pair of plastic gloves it helps in the bathing ritual of vinyls. I do it few times every month and I just love it.The records mentioned by Hemant are very good.Actullt all the live concerts of these artists has very good recording.
Thanks.

dear all, i would like to know from the dear members something about speakers for mono recorded music.as you are all aware most of music as far as Indian music is concerned were recorded in Mono sound till about early eighties.Now we discuss extensively about how good 2.0 channel is for Music. then what about SPEAKERS/AMPLIFIERS for Mono recorded music say the golden oldies of 60s of hindi cinema and Tamil cinema or for that matter 70s inidan film music.i am sure many in this forum are great patrons of these music. now how good is stereo speakers or 2.0 channel stereo speakers for this Mono sound. i hope i get extensive replies for this.rgds.visu

I have some old hindi film movie songs on vinyl - Sagar, Amar Prem, Abhiman, Yeh Vaadaa Rahaa, Safar, Khudrat. The SQ is far superior to that of CDs. The vinly somehow sounds more organic, natural and alive despite the ticks and scratches. The violins on CDs just sound so screechy. God knows what they do when recording on to the CD. The sound is totally ruined.

You should hear Sagar on LP. Very good recording.

I'll check the bit rate and let you know.
Now that I remember, these are not from the Zune store but rather from some other playsforsure music store. Will let you know the details soon.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back