best sounding Full Range driver|box

No doubt CSA sells some of the best drivers, but from what I've been reading, their cab designs are nothing but a reflex box with the driver slapped into it and the design doesn't change much with the drivers.

David Dicks is quite radical that way - a friend mailed him once asking about exactly what you commented on and his reply was on these lines
>>>Build it first using the supplied design. It's all about the music and the SQ - so forget about the simplistic cab design that we suggest and just build it and listen to the music. If you don't like the sound, get back to us - if the music and SQ floats your boat, what's the fuss about?

David Dicks is quite radical that way - a friend mailed him once asking about exactly what you commented on and his reply was on these lines
>>>Build it first using the supplied design. It's all about the music and the SQ - so forget about the simplistic cab design that we suggest and just build it and listen to the music. If you don't like the sound, get back to us - if the music and SQ floats your boat, what's the fuss about?

I don't doubt that it would sound good. I personally think that the drivers would perform better if they are used in an enclosure designed specifically for them. When there are excellent designs existing for the drivers (the Fostex 206E for instance), I somehow find it hard to believe that the 'one design fits all' enclosure would give the best performance...

gruby,
are you working on any fr design right now? How are you taking care of baffle step correction and notch filter that may be needed?
How are you doing your measurements?
regards

gruby,
are you working on any fr design right now? How are you taking care of baffle step correction and notch filter that may be needed?
How are you doing your measurements?
regards

I am not smart enough to work on any design but am trying to find more about FR designs so that I can help a couple of my friends build their speakers. None of the designs I'm considering at the moment need baffle step correction or notch filtering as far as I know...

Keith:

What did you finally decide about your next speaker project?

George

Haven't decided yet. Am still looking around. I like the BIB concept but the "B" in "BIB" would be a problem - given the size of my apartment.
Anyways, I'm in no hurry and have the luxury of time. I'm also waiting to see how your Bob Brines design goes - so keep us posted will you?
Am looking at OB designs too to keep me confused further

Currently I'm fascinated with:

The DWV Gamma

Spiral Horns

The Modula

The Natalie

The Modula MT

The Manzanita

The Ariel

The Bellicose

The Buschhorn

this

The Aethers

The Sunflower

The Cinderellas

And last but definitely not the least - Bert Doppenberg's Singular

Hi,

[I am very happy with the FE206E drivers in a Sachiko
cabinet. I completed them last month, and they
sound excellent with my KT-77 PP amp.

Build pics and details here -

Picasa Web Albums - Prasad

Prasad

I have had the pleasure of visiting with Prasad and listening to his system.His quality of workmanship is excellent.

The sound of the Fostex drivers in the double horn loaded cabinets is very good. The bass,is full and tight,and the midrange is to die for.Some, might find the highs slightly muted ,but they sounded fine to me.

Regards
Rajiv[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the nice words, folks.

I am not exactly a newbie to either diy or electronics, but carpentry was something I had never tried before.

So it was really satisfying to complete them.Thanks to other demands, I was away from diy stuff for ages. Finally have some time now to use the parts I had been accumulating over the years (won't
talk about the WAF on filling up cupboards :) )

After other experiences with carpenters, I decided to build the Sachikos myself, all the way. I estimate I spent about 3 weeks on this build (spread out over a month and a half). Lost lot of time due to initial cutting adventures with the circular saw, and later due to not having proper tools. I sorely missed having clamps. You need at least 4 good clamps.

A complex build like this cannot be done in a hurry. It is very important to cut and glue accurately, else you will have leaks.

Any idea how much they weigh?

Did you use ply or MDF? Did you sand down the surface before the polish stage?

The pair of Sachikos consumed 3 sheets of 8'x4' and 1 sheet of 6'x3'. I estimate each is about 50kg+, because of how sore my back feels if I need to shift them.

The material is 13 layer Marine grade plywood. From whatever I have read, MDF is not the material of choice.

Before polish, the surface was sanded down, though not to the finest grit. I preferred to have a matte surface. After polishing, the Touchwood (polyurethane)
coat gave them lovely gloss.

Prasad

One cant use MDF, unless for a speaker enclosure unless it is for the raw carcass( inner walls and braces) and is then covered with plywood.It is too soft and doesn't provide protection, but used as the inner layer of a sandwich it works well.. I normally use MDF that way, and use solid timber for the front baffle and edges-it has worked fine for me so far.

One cant use MDF, unless for a speaker enclosure unless it is for the raw carcass( inner walls and braces) and is then covered with plywood.It is too soft and doesn't provide protection, but used as the inner layer of a sandwich it works well.. I normally use MDF that way, and use solid timber for the front baffle and edges-it has worked fine for me so far.

"Can't use MDF" or "Shouldn't use MDF"?
I thought MDF was heavier, more rigid and denser than plywood and is better for speaker enclosures than plywood.
What did you find "soft" in MDF - can you please elaborate?

hi. If you dont have taboo against indian brands, try ahuja 12" & 15" full range drivers. Never heard them but specs wise they look good. Should give better lower end freq than 8" drivers. You can see them on ahuja radios web site. As far as personal experience goes i am using philips 8" full range drivers on open baffle. I like the sound a lot. Of course they need help from woofers at lower end at least on open baffle but mids and highs are excellent. They are just 15 watt RMS but serve my purpose very well. They are dirt cheap. Rs 500/- per pair & its not a mistake in that price. 25w rms is also available. Only philips india manufactures them. They are not there on web site. Bought them from pune few months back. T-S parameters not available.

Hi jaudere
how low does the bass of the philips drivers extend? Approx.
I have the same drivers thinking of going the bass reflex box path.

The correct word, was "shouldnt" rather than "can't". The corners. Unless you protect the corners with harder material, they will get damaged.

I will take bavk this statement-having made a box of MSF-primarily yo keep costs down, it does look as if one can do it entirely in MDF. From an aesthetic point of view I would cover it with decorative plywood and corner mould the corners and also the front baffle in timber.

Cheers

George

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back