Best sub 55k INR Home Theater setup?

noiR

Hi all,

Happened to stumble across this community while looking for help for a home theater system, hoping that someone might be able to help.

I'm on the lookout for a home theater system for my living room that's about 20~25 feet by 15~20 feet (I can get the exact measurements by tomorrow if that's a crucial factor). I've visited the Sony showroom and had a look at their speakers and wasn't really thrilled by what they had (all their speakers came with either a DVD or Blu-Ray player, what I wanted was an amp that I could pass my X360/PS3 HDMI to - so a minimum of 2-3 HDMI in)

Had a look at Onkyo, and the HT-S5400 appears to fit my needs. The price is rather exorbitant though - over three times higher compared to the selling price of $360.95 (~18k INR) in the US.

So my question is this: For the price of about 55k INR, would it be possible for me to get a better home theater system than the HT-S5400, or will have to just suck up the inflated prices and pull the trigger on the HT-S5400? As you may have already guessed, I will be pairing the HT system with my gaming consoles and will be using it predominantly for gaming, along with movies and music.

I believe even a good 5.1 system ought to cut it (HT-S3400), but I liked the S5400 better.

Any suggestions are very much appreciated. Thanks for your time!

Welcome to the forum and let me congratulate you for taking the right decision to research about possibilities rather than buying something on a whim. Lately some of us here at the forum have been trying to prove that its possible to have a wonderful HT setup in the 50k-60k range.

AVR:

Yamaha 371/ Denon 1312: Rs 17-18k
Yamaha 471/ Denon 1612: Rs 22-24k

Speakers:

Pioneer SP-PK21BS 5.1/ Energy Take Classic: Rs 33 -34k

Add to this around Rs 1.5 k for a step down converter as the above prices are for 110 V US imports and you have a perfect system for yourself. Wish you the best in your exploration :)

Edit: I just saw your living room measurements. For a room of that size I would suggest the Yamaha 471/ Denon 1612 and Pioneer SP-PK51 FS speakers. Try and go through the reviews online and also on the forum and am sure you would end up making the correct decision.

Last edited:
Hi Mav,

Thanks for your input! I'll have a look at your recommendations. On that note, would you be able to guide me on where one can get these in India? Or should I rely on getting these imported on my own from the US?

Hi Mav,

Thanks for your input! I'll have a look at your recommendations. On that note, would you be able to guide me on where one can get these in India? Or should I rely on getting these imported on my own from the US?

Well if you can source them directly from US on your own then nothing like it. Shipping an AVR is still kinda easy but the Speakers being quite heavy -the shipping costs invariably turn out to be very high.
I got my Yamaha 671 and Pioneer 51 FS from Aman at Avenue Sounds. These guys import stuff from US. You can contact him at [email protected] or at 08898153922.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back