Best universal player in sub 10k price band?

TNAWAYAJ

Hi Alll,
Thanks for the replies to my post in the speakers section. I am also considering upgrading my source to a DVD player (for less than 10k Rs) that has above average audio playback capabilities, along with video upsampling... something that would do justice to audio CDs as well. I've heard abt the Oppo 980H but then I guess that's expensive and difficult to source.
How do the latest Samsung (1080PK) and LGs fare when it comes to audio CD playback? How much should I be prepared to pay for them?
How can one tell by looking at the specs, if the DAC is good or not?
Do let me know...
Thanks!

Hi Alll,
Thanks for the replies to my post in the speakers section. I am also considering upgrading my source to a DVD player (for less than 10k Rs) that has above average audio playback capabilities, along with video upsampling... something that would do justice to audio CDs as well. I've heard abt the Oppo 980H but then I guess that's expensive and difficult to source.
How do the latest Samsung (1080PK) and LGs fare when it comes to audio CD playback? How much should I be prepared to pay for them?
Do let me know...
Thanks!

Pioneer 610 is best option for budget(6.6k)
If you need better as DVDP then CA DVD99(12k?) comes with usb too.
If budget is increased then oppo 980 for 14k.

Does the Pioneer 610 have good audio capabilities?? 6.6k is surely a good deal. Can you recommend me a dealer in Bangalore?

There are two sources in bangalore - as per earlier posts in this forum.
1., Mirsilal shop in national bazaar. He sold for 6300 and 6500 recently
2. st marks road, besides presidency building (opp old cash pharma) there is a pioneer shop, you can check there too. infact i also intend to buy one very shortly.
regards
murali

Does the Pioneer 610 have good audio capabilities?? 6.6k is surely a good deal. Can you recommend me a dealer in Bangalore?

some reviews on pioneer-
http://www.hifivision.com/dvd-players-dvd-hard-disk-recorders/3216-pioneer-dv-310-410-600-a.html

http://www.hifivision.com/dvd-players-dvd-hard-disk-recorders/3674-oppo-981h-pioneer-dv-610-a.html

One of the members is using 610 with Denon AVR for Stereo & it is better than average DVDp.
http://www.hifivision.com/speakers/3529-tannoy-f1-custom-denon-2309-a-2.html

Last edited:
I would say the CA DVD89, it only upscales to 1080i, but the audio CD reproduction of this is excellent (and has received rave reviews), this should be available for under 10k. If you want 1080p and upscaling go for the DVD99, which should be 12-14k.

Looking at your requirements the Oppo is the winner hands down. However, if you're looking at the Pioneer/Samsung/LG etc. I would also ask you to do some alternative thinking here. I'm not really sure how it it performs (MBR and others will help out more since they have been using it), but consider the WDTV too. Instead of playing CDs and DVDs you will need to rip them to an external HDD and then connect to the WDTV. MBR was saying its upscaling is good, I'm sure he can review about the SQ too since that's what you're looking for too. In terms of connectivity and playing most formats the WDTV wins hands down compared to any DVDP in its budget of around 7K. In addition you'll get FLAC which the DVDP will not play and you'll also get MKV which again no DVDP does.

Hi Alll,
Do let me know...
Thanks!

Back