Best usb DAC

@ thad. I have used RCA in my build and as you pointed out some people believe that RCA provide better stereo crosstalk values however since we are dealing with small currents and voltages I don't believe that there would be any audible difference. One of the sellers of the ODAC sells a version with RCAs.

@sam 9. I have the E7 but the ODAC is better but the latter doest have a headphone amplifier.

But ODAC is double the cost of E7, considering the price it is offered, is it a worth buy thats my question.

Or for that matter fiio e10? I am surprised no one suggested both of these,recently got one e10, sounds really good.

Whats the price and where did you purchase it??

The Fiio e10 has a better dac section than the E7 (I have the E7 WM8740).

The 99 dollar ODAC outperforms both the E7 & E10 and is great VFM. Even the cased ODAC at 150 dollars is good VFM but at this price point there are other 24 bit USB DACs so the competition exists. Similar designs are also available like calyx coffee which has a head amp too at $200. Audioengine and Audinst are also good in reviews however I havent heard them.

I am a FiiO fan and have the E7, E9, E11, L7, L3 so I can compare these. They are not bad and the E10 and E17 are technically better DACs than E7 but price is more than the standalone ODAC board.

^^ Which one would you suggest for a starter in all probability as far as DAC goes .....I am very much inclined towards, E7. 20north quoted a price of 6500 for the same .... Not sure if there are any other means I can get this available ....

Last edited:
^^ Really appreciate the link, ok I am ordering e10. Its a USB DAC right, so apart from a USB input, can you tell me how can we connect an iPOD with it.
Plus it also has a Headphone amp, which headphones can take the best out of this device under a budget of 4-5K, any idea ..?

Any experience on Audinst HUD-MX1 USB DAC? Someone mentioned it here...it's available with HiFiMart for 9.5K

@Audiodoc
How about this DAC? I have a friend in Frankfurt who can bring this for me. Is it a good buy at that price and the next question is will this be better than connecting the usb stick/ipod directly to my yamaha 571 receiver. Currently I have this setup which is doing a good job. I am planning to use the usb dac to connect my htpc to my receiver. Will this usb dac improve the quality..

Thanks

Nuforce Icon uDac 2 DAC looks good on paper but I haven't heard it. It will definitely be better than connecting the analog output of your computer to the AVR.

However if your computer has a SPDIF output the difference in quality will depend on the the inbult DAC of your AVR vs the uDAC 2 which will still favor the UDAC IMHO.

Nuforce Icon uDac 2 DAC looks good on paper but I haven't heard it. It will definitely be better than connecting the analog output of your computer to the AVR.

However if your computer has a SPDIF output the difference in quality will depend on the the inbult DAC of your AVR vs the uDAC 2 which will still favor the UDAC IMHO.

I think I have the SPDIF output on my motherboard in HTPC. But I have disabled onboard audio as I have the gt440 card installed thru which I use the hdmi for watching movies. Hence the reason to go for external DAC for music. So at euro 117 is a good price for this DAC.

Thanks

I am planning for a USB DAC since my HTPC cabinet being low profile cannot accomodate the better cards like Xonar ST/X. On similar budget as Xonar I found reviews of ODAC to be very well. Read the below review, putting some excerpt

Brief Odac impressions

I had the chance to A/B today against the Xonar Essence STX (/w LME49720s) for an hour in a quiet listening environment.

I think overall the ODAC is a step up from the STX's DAC.

ODAC is clearer sounding in the mid frequencies and lets more of the recording's details through. As such the sense of ambience in recordings is enhanced.

I think it is a question of the brain getting used to it, but absorbing more information from the mids tends to create the illusion of lesser bass presence in terms of quantity. However, when tested with bass notes, the ODAC clearly has no deficiency. In comparison the STX sounds like the sound has more body, but it is muffled.

The ODAC's highs are the biggest improvement over the STX. They just seem more realistic on good acoustic recordings - clear, extended and with remarkable resolution. In contrast the STX is harsh and sibilant at times.

I wouldn't say the STX sounds bad, but the ODAC seems to offer better fidelity. The differences weren't night and day, but obvious enough to be clearly noticed in a short listening session.

I also noticed that the ODAC did produce a high-pitched noise when connected to a switched off desktop PC. Strangely this doesn't happen when connected to my laptop.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back