Bhaava V2: My Ownership Review

Srini, looks like you too move between systems, albeit between not so keeper altecs :)
Yes, currently i am moving and hope it will end with A5 experiment which is underway ,, I heard santhosh A7 at banglore in his house and tried to hear the songs in my every project build and found something is missing. ( santhosh A7 )

Very hesitant to build A5/A7 due to their large size, where it should be placed in my hall which is 10 feet width / 20 feet length and it may be an eye sore and also surprise for my visitors.

So started with help of Rajiv from small driver project to taste the sound of Altec and now graduated to Altec A5. No doubt it will be an end card to my project in my home, since it could be tamed in the small room even though huge in size..

Forgot to mention that the amp was my humble Marantz 6005, which also would have been a limiting factor.

Yes, currently i am moving and hope it will end with A5 experiment which is underway ,, I heard santhosh A7 at banglore in his house and tried to hear the songs in my every project build and found something is missing. ( santhosh A7 )

Very hesitant to build A5/A7 due to their large size, where it should be placed in my hall which is 10 feet width / 20 feet length and it may be an eye sore and also surprise for my visitors.

So started with help of Rajiv from small driver project to taste the sound of Altec and now graduated to Altec A5. No doubt it will be an end card to my project in my home, since it could be tamed in the small room even though huge in size..
I have no doubt about the A5 hitting the spot for you.. One can;t beat physics... and the Altec loves bigger cabinets...

Forgot to mention that the amp was my humble Marantz 6005, which also would have been a limiting factor.
Yes, that was a limiting factor too..

Can someone throw a light on Bhaava history?
How many iterations have they had?
When did the current version start shipping?
Is there another one round the corner?
Thanks
@malvai @hydra @square_wave @AVM
The currently available one is the 2nd version. I don't think there's a newer version coming soon, because the new philosophy began with the Bhaava.

AFAIK the Aarka, the Maarga and the Saadhana have been moved to the new design (new models have already been shipping). I'm not sure what's happening with the Trishna, and I suspect that the Trishna is what they'll be working on next.

Actually I am looking to downsize my speakers. I have Saadhana V2
I have an offer for Bhaava version 1
Will it be worth it?
Or is Bhaava V2 much better than V1?

These perhaps are the best deal at the 2L mark. I like these better than the ATC SCM19V2. Those got sold the moment these came into the picture. I like these better than the purely midrangey Harbeths. etc etc...

So, without digressing further allow me to insert the 1st listening impression that I had in the first three days itself. Now, this is an impression that I wrote for Jacob @ Rethm. Simply copying and pasting the impression here for the first installment.

I will also be putting a video here. But do bear in mind that the speakers at this time were hardly played for 3 hours... and nowhere near even the basic minimum burn-in requirements. and while the source and the power amp are superb here, the preamp is an el cheapo Schitt passive... But, all in all the Bhaava's did impress me and the wife a lot!

So, here is my 1st impression as recounted to Jacob @ rethm:

It is a very different sound. Has resolution in spades... Like the ATC but has soul... Which the ATC lacks entirely...

The Bhaavas are really a very lovely set... Very musical, huge soundstage... They disappear into the room...

By the time i finished playing the third song, my wife rushed in from the other room... And gushed, "are these the new speakers? Wow!"

This has never happened... In over 15 speaker upgrades in the last 10 years of marriage...

She loves the sound as much as me I guess.. yes these are special!!!

Now she is suggesting that we move them to the living room... As she loves the way they look too!!!

But that's not going to happen!!

More later!!

Here is the video link...

Keep tuned in, for the post burn in review.. also the New EAR 912 also popped in and then a 3rd impression! so, stay tuned... The above is just a starter! LOL.
Not sure how it sounds to you in person. But on two good pairs of headphones the vocals sounded overly sharp and the highs are even sharper…ear piercing sharp. If you like that kind of sound good for you. But I was able to barely watch the video for 10sec!!

Last edited:
Having owned the bhaavas V2 earlier and the Maargas now, I would view the Bhaavas to be a very balanced and warm sounding speaker keeping with the Rethem philosophy, also the amazing thing with the bhaavas was that it made average to poor recordings sound great. Is a very forgiving speaker...

The V2 is more balanced...
Could you elaborate on that please. A more detailed comparison would be great :)

Having owned the bhaavas V2 earlier and the Maargas now, I would view the Bhaavas to be a very balanced and warm sounding speaker keeping with the Rethem philosophy, also the amazing thing with the bhaavas was that it made average to poor recordings sound great. Is a very forgiving speaker...
Have you heard both versions of the Bhaavas?

No only the V2, actually as I remember the V1 stayed for a very short time and the change was in the bass driver increasing the efficiency by a few db s

No only the V2, actually as I remember the V1 stayed for a very short time and the change was in the bass driver increasing the efficiency by a few db s
Nope .. even the main driver changed... Became a bit bigger... I ahve heard the V1 briefly in a very different room.. and from memory, it was a great deal even then. But, the V2 is a better package. Sounds more 'wholesome'.

I find that @ 2 L this is a very good deal. . .

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back