Biamp or not

delhite2

I am looking to buy a amplifier for my Floorstanders.
What would be more advise able?
A) buy a power amp of 150rms
B) buy a 5 channel power amp capable of 80rms simultaneously and I can use 4 channels to biamp the towers, 2 channels per tower. Meaning 80rms x 2 per tower.

The amps in question are emotiva a 300 and a 500.
Which would be better choice and why?
Will the biamp provide similar overall power to towers or not?

Hi

1) Brand of Floorstanders and model
2) Existing AVR or AMP name and model
3) Have you done setup properly
4) Budget for power amp whether 2 channel or 5 channel
5) Does your existing AVR have pre outs to feed to power amp?

Hi

1) Brand of Floorstanders and model
2) Existing AVR or AMP name and model
3) Have you done setup properly
4) Budget for power amp whether 2 channel or 5 channel
5) Does your existing AVR have pre outs to feed to power amp?
Also will biamping from onkyo 705 have any effect positive or negative in 2 channel only mode?

The ideal bi/tri-amping scenario is to use an amp of higher quality (of lower power, as tweeters don't need lots of power) to drive the tweeter, and somewhat lower quality amp of much higher power to drive mid+woofer. Using the same amp to biamp the speaker, even from two separate binding posts, will only lower the effective resistance of the speaker cables, which may be too insignificant to hear. Just my opinion.

The ideal bi/tri-amping scenario is to use an amp of higher quality (of lower power, as tweeters don't need lots of power) to drive the tweeter, and somewhat lower quality amp of much higher power to drive mid+woofer. Using the same amp to biamp the speaker, even from two separate binding posts, will only lower the effective resistance of the speaker cables, which may be too insignificant to hear. Just my opinion.
What about using a stereo amp vs 5 channel amp with almost similar rms @ speaker terminals
Meaing 150 rms combined vs 80 + 80 biamp

If you are planning only for stereo i would suggest to go for 150W ie 150 X 2 channel driven( Emotiva BasX A-300 )

If you are planning for critical listening then its your choice.

What about using a stereo amp vs 5 channel amp with almost similar rms @ speaker terminals
Meaing 150 rms combined vs 80 + 80 biamp

I feel it will depend on the quality of the amp used.

By the way, 150W rms power is a huge amount of power for a stereo amp. But more than the sheer amount of power, you should be more worried about the quality of the amplifier even if it has only half that power. In a regular listening room you don't need lots of power for regular listening levels. Of course if the room is huge you'll need more power to energise the larger volume of air.

By the way, 150W rms power is a huge amount of power for a stereo amp. But more than the sheer amount of power, you should be more worried about the quality of the amplifier even if it has only half that power. In a regular listening room you don't need lots of power for regular listening levels. Of course if the room is huge you'll need more power to energise the larger volume of air.
Basically both are emotiva amps
One is the a 300 one is the a500 so quality should be similar, and since application is 4ohm speakers power is needed for good output.

Agree totally....quality matters unless OP wants to hear levels loud like a Disco or is a casual regular listener.

Basically both are emotiva amps
One is the a 300 one is the a500 so quality should be similar, and since application is 4ohm speakers power is needed for good output.

I am sure since you are using the same brand speakers, you will have no challenges in terms of matching capability as most brands ensure that their stuff compliment each other.....

A 100 may be a little under powered for you as it may serve the purpose...in case you get sudden urge to increase the volume (due to a party)...you may not have enough......you may be better off with a A 300....ensure that you set up at conservative levels and not damage your speakers as the T2s have high sensitivity which means even a low powered amp can drive them easily.....

Placement of speakers also matter including angle direction.....depending on what is present in the room (furniture etc.) sound will travel, reflect and even bounce like a ping pong ball.....

I am sure since you are using the same brand speakers, you will have no challenges in terms of matching capability as most brands ensure that their stuff compliment each other.....

A 100 may be a little under powered for you as it may serve the purpose...in case you get sudden urge to increase the volume (due to a party)...you may not have enough......you may be better off with a A 300....ensure that you set up at conservative levels and not damage your speakers as the T2s have high sensitivity which means even a low powered amp can drive them easily.....

Placement of speakers also matter including angle direction.....depending on what is present in the room (furniture etc.) sound will travel, reflect and even bounce like a ping pong ball.....
But I am talking between a 300 and a500
Using 2 channels each for one speaker to bi amp. Will it be comparable then to a 300 or better or worse?

If you are planning to use TWO A 300s to power your speakers....it would be overkill in my opinion.

One would be sufficient enough.....there would be no need to Bi Amp at all......

If still you are looking to Bi Amp......using 2 different power amps....perhaps you can look at A 100 and A 300 then. (A 100 for the Tweeters / Highs)

Hi I have a ROKSAN CASPIAN (made in England) AV 5 channel power amplifier. This has a on board pass-thru of Pre input to pre-out (please see the back panel below) specifically designed for Bi-amping. This amp is built like a tank weighing 20kgs.

ROKSAN dose not require any introduction and this power amp is far superior than the amps that you are considering to buy. I have checked this amp one to one with Bryston 9BSST (which is a 4.5 lakhs amp) and this could comfortably take over Bryston. I am willing to let go this amp for a fraction of that cost. PM me in case you are interested.WP_20160107_004 1.jpgWP_20160107_001 1.jpgIMG-20180315-WA0038.jpg

Last edited:
Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back