Bias Is a Big Problem. But So Is ‘Noise.’

Analogous

Bias Is a Big Problem. But So Is ‘Noise.’​

The word “bias” commonly appears in conversations about mistaken judgments and unfortunate decisions. We use it when there is discrimination. But the meaning of the word is broader: A bias is any predictable error that inclines your judgment in a particular direction. For instance, we speak of bias when a reviewer consistently recommends a particular brand.

Society has devoted a lot of attention to the problem of bias — and rightly so. But when it comes to mistaken judgments and unfortunate decisions, there is another type of error that attracts far less attention: noise.

Read on:

Most of what is defined as noise in the article seems to me as ‘subjectivity’. What they see as noise in the judiciary system (variation across judges), I can see as different biases of those judges. To ascertain noise they should have given the same case to the same judge repeatedly, and seen of he/she gives different judgements.

But point taken. both noise (mood/external factors) and bias (inherent preferences and conditionings) affect our decisions.

Hopefully we can extend these insights to our own convictions, beliefs, biases and certainties related to all things audio:))
Won’t that make the pursuit sterile? May be not. As long as we can maintain our convictions, beliefs and biases while being aware when they play out. That’d put a lot of demand on expanding our consciousness though.

I think greater insight can always lead to better outcomes. It’s evolutionary. My knowledge and understanding of sound, audio and music today is very different from what I had several years ago.

But bias is never going to disappear as being a human individual means having viewpoints, perspectives and opinions, all derived from a mix of lived experiences, cultural influences, personal tastes and biological traits.

We have the capacity for unique opinions, but often choose or feel comfortable going with the herd opinion, specially on politicised issues.

Audiophilia, thankfully has not been politicised as the number of voters are minuscule, so we are safe with our idiosyncratic views in our own echo chambers.
:rolleyes:

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back