BIC America PL300 Subwoofer - Ownership Review

amrutmhatre90

Hello everyone,

Its been quite some time I have owned the BIC PL300 subwoofer. I had to pen down this ownership review for people who were interested in a subwoofer which is affordable and yet powerful.

The BIC PL300, it is from Acoustech Elite Series. A top of the line series for BIC, which has floor standing and center speakers going low as 30hz claimed by them. Now this is something which average subwoofers do for us, don't know the claims are true or not.

Coming to the subwoofer, 12 inch front ported design with 350 watt continous RMS power and peaks at 1400watts. On paper it goes down low to 15hz, but does it really go that low? More on that later.

20211101_145221_copy_1140x1520.jpg

The subwoofer frequency can be tuned, not through app but through port plugs and switches. One form plug insert is provided and a switch in the rear, bass boost or max output.

It is finished in Piano Black like on top and veneer on sides. The top does look very good almost mirror finish but is a fingerprint magnet.

20211102_213757_copy_1200x1600.jpg

In the “BASS BOOST” mode with the center plug inserted, the PL-300 will deliver all frequencies from 15Hz to 200Hz (+/- 3dB) at impressively loud levels including frequencies below 20Hz which are felt, not heard.

In the “MAX OUTPUT” mode, the PL-300 will deliver even louder levels of bass for all audible frequencies from about 20Hz to 200Hz.

Experiment to see which works best for you. For best performance in the “MAX OUTPUT” mode, remove the PORT PLUG from the center port.

20211101_115902_copy_1174x1187.jpg

Frequency Response:
with plug in center port and BASS BOOST: 15Hz – 200Hz (+/- 3db)
with plug in center port at MAX OUTPUT: 20Hz – 200Hz (+/- 3db)
with unsealed ports and BASS BOOST: 17Hz – 200Hz (+/- 3db)
with unsealed ports at MAX OUTPUT: 24Hz – 200Hz (+/- 3db)

To test the claims, I did a REW measurement of this subwoofer using UMIK one in my room with my system.

It did close to 16hz in both Bass Boost and Max Output which is surprising, I wanted to take more measurements but Neighbours came home asking me to turn down, I was watching Dune earlier, which is known for very very good mix.

Coming to how this sounds and performs, this is a excellent subwoofer for the price. Goes deep, rumbles and thunders with enough tight bass. Not tight as sealed ones, or more expensive subs but enough to keep users happy or annoy neighbours.
It is quite powerful and never clipped or bottomed out. Remember the issue with the old PL 200 port chuffing or loose ports, this is sorted out in the PL 300 but because this moves a lot of air, and I mean a lot (I can feel my pajamas moving in room without fans turned on) the grill causes some chuffing type noise. This was audible only at reference volumes and scenes with lot of bass and low end, solution is to remove the grill and keep it aside. Don't know if it is me but it sounded tighter.

This subwoofer superb for Movies and ok for Music. The tightness and fast bass which one expects from a musical sub isn't there at all. Wouldn't recommend this to be used for music.

Having owned QB12 in past which is in the same range of PL300, price wise. I would recommend QB12 for music anyday, it is brilliant. Gels so good that the subwoofer disappear. Thumps, tight and fast.

20211101_120417_copy_1361x1195.jpg

But when it comes to movies, PL300 is in another league. The punch and the low end needed by the subwoofer for movies lacks in QB12. PL300 does all this without breaking a sweat.

I will try to post REW measurements in future with all configurations again.

Here is a short video of unboxing, cone movement and few sound demo's though it wouldn't sound as good as in person:

Nice review Amrut. There was not much reviews of PL300 out there. More so as you have done a side by side comparison with QB12. Will help a lot of prospective buyers.

Hello everyone,

Its been quite some time I have owned the BIC PL300 subwoofer. I had to pen down this ownership review for people who were interested in a subwoofer which is affordable and yet powerful.

The BIC PL300, it is from Acoustech Elite Series. A top of the line series for BIC, which has floor standing and center speakers going low as 30hz claimed by them. Now this is something which average subwoofers do for us, don't know the claims are true or not.

Coming to the subwoofer, 12 inch front ported design with 350 watt continous RMS power and peaks at 1400watts. On paper it goes down low to 15hz, but does it really go that low? More on that later.

View attachment 68300

The subwoofer frequency can be tuned, not through app but through port plugs and switches. One form plug insert is provided and a switch in the rear, bass boost or max output.

It is finished in Piano Black like on top and veneer on sides. The top does look very good almost mirror finish but is a fingerprint magnet.

View attachment 68302

In the “BASS BOOST” mode with the center plug inserted, the PL-300 will deliver all frequencies from 15Hz to 200Hz (+/- 3dB) at impressively loud levels including frequencies below 20Hz which are felt, not heard.

In the “MAX OUTPUT” mode, the PL-300 will deliver even louder levels of bass for all audible frequencies from about 20Hz to 200Hz.

Experiment to see which works best for you. For best performance in the “MAX OUTPUT” mode, remove the PORT PLUG from the center port.

View attachment 68301

Frequency Response:

To test the claims, I did a REW measurement of this subwoofer using UMIK one in my room with my system.

It did close to 16hz in both Bass Boost and Max Output which is surprising, I wanted to take more measurements but Neighbours came home asking me to turn down, I was watching Dune earlier, which is known for very very good mix.

Coming to how this sounds and performs, this is a excellent subwoofer for the price. Goes deep, rumbles and thunders with enough tight bass. Not tight as sealed ones, or more expensive subs but enough to keep users happy or annoy neighbours.
It is quite powerful and never clipped or bottomed out. Remember the issue with the old PL 200 port chuffing or loose ports, this is sorted out in the PL 300 but because this moves a lot of air, and I mean a lot (I can feel my pajamas moving in room without fans turned on) the grill causes some chuffing type noise. This was audible only at reference volumes and scenes with lot of bass and low end, solution is to remove the grill and keep it aside. Don't know if it is me but it sounded tighter.

This subwoofer superb for Movies and ok for Music. The tightness and fast bass which one expects from a musical sub isn't there at all. Wouldn't recommend this to be used for music.

Having owned QB12 in past which is in the same range of PL300, price wise. I would recommend QB12 for music anyday, it is brilliant. Gels so good that the subwoofer disappear. Thumps, tight and fast.

View attachment 68303

But when it comes to movies, PL300 is in another league. The punch and the low end needed by the subwoofer for movies lacks in QB12. PL300 does all this without breaking a sweat.

Here is a short video of unboxing, cone movement and few sound demo's though it wouldn't sound as good as in person:

Thanks for your review. I own bic pl 200 and bic f12 subs using it for movies and music. Streaming from yamaha avr 685 preamp to audiolab 6000a as power amp. using yamaha avr 685 for bass management for music despite audiolab 6000a has better DAC. I feel controlling bass from yamaha is giving good result for music. How many subs do you use for movies and music? Waiting for rew measurements.

Thanks for your review. I own bic pl 200 and bic f12 subs using it for movies and music. Streaming from yamaha avr 685 preamp to audiolab 6000a as power amp. using yamaha avr 685 for bass management for music despite audiolab 6000a has better DAC. I feel controlling bass from yamaha is giving good result for music. How many subs do you use for movies and music? Waiting for rew measurements.

I use single sub the BIC PL300, even I have a Audiolab 6000a but using it strictly for 2ch. I don't like subs for music, QA3050i I use have enough bass and grunt to fulfill my needs.
Pre amp from AVR is meh always, try to listen Audiolab as 2ch only. I love the way it sounds, yeah the subwoofer needs alot of tweaking with IA's and it is much simple with AVR's I agree.

The sad thing is sellers will hike the price of this subwoofer as well soon.
Prices have been increased already :(
The price I got this for was unbelievable months back.

Hello everyone,

View attachment 68300

View attachment 68302

View attachment 68301

Frequency Response:

View attachment 68303

What price did u get the pl300 for?

How is the performance of pl-300 after 1.5 years of use. I am looking forward to buy the same. I will be using it 40% for music and 60% Movie. Thanks !

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back