Birch plywood now available in India

Sharing pics of ply used for our machine packaging. Try calling source I have mentioned in previous reply.

512770a01084f1e38aa29ea56d77c079.jpg

743b3c44442f53cb9fba2490915887b4.jpg

bb523fdc58ae2a72ed79f5f2f7569930.jpg

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Very good, high quality and void free plywood is available in India and is made in India. I do not know the cost of birch ply but I'm guessing that it probably is more than CP that is made and available in India. Every plywood has natural grain - all it takes to get this out is a person who knows how to polish.

Recently, in his new home, a friend of mine installed a split aircon and the tubing from the wall unit to the compressor unit was done very shabbily. Instead of re-doing the tubing we decided to cover that area with an extremely inexpensive plywood panel and we decided to layer some decorative paper/vinyl to mask the wood face. A carpenter who was working in the house suggested that we get the plywood sheet polished by a guy he knew. I was skeptical but the carpenter was insistent that it would look extremely good. My friend agreed and the "polish man" first sand papered the surface with different grit sand paper - then he layered a base coat. When that dried, he rolled up a piece of jute rope [the type that was used in the old days instead of Teflon tape to seal leaks in threads of sanitary fittings/taps] and with that he applied another coat of "something" [I wasn't present when he worked his magic]. Magically the grains popped out and damn, did it look good when done. He finished it off with layers of clear coat. Looked like a slab of polished teak!!! The only thing that could have been done better was to have sanded the surface using a belt sander instead of doing it by hand to get the surface super smooth.

Nathan

Yes this material that I used is stocked in Chennai in their depot. It was shipped from there:

Eximcorp India Pvt Ltd
11(24) X Block Annanagar Park Towers Flat No c Chennai.Ph 45500020
If you dont get any response please email BK Lunia.I dont know if they have any minimum order quantity etc. Do check and let us know pricing, order details etc if you do buy.

Cheers

Guys,

I'm no DIYer, but isn't vibration, resonance, etc. the most important factor in speaker cabinets and not necessarily the quality of the plywood itself?

The absolute best speakers I've ever heard are the Magico's and one of the primary reasons given for their superlative performance has been reducing the vibration from the cabinet. The argument was the speaker cabinet itself adds to the sound, so Alon Wolf set out to create speakers that addressed this issue in particular.

Just asking...

Nathan

Yes this material that I used is stocked in Chennai in their depot. It was shipped from there:

Eximcorp India Pvt Ltd
11(24) X Block Annanagar Park Towers Flat No c Chennai.Ph 45500020
If you dont get any response please email BK Lunia.I dont know if they have any minimum order quantity etc. Do check and let us know pricing, order details etc if you do buy.

Cheers

Thank you for your information.

Regards,

pksnathan

The other philosophy is that the cabinets must vibrate sympathetically. All BBC monitors are based on this principle and therefore have thin cabinet walls.

Ok that I understand.

I've heard the ATC and Harbeth's a fair bit so there's something going for that philosophy too.

For the budget though cannot compare them to the Q7s.

The other philosophy is that the cabinets must vibrate sympathetically. All BBC monitors are based on this principle and therefore have thin cabinet walls.
That resonance ADDS to the sound. And that negates the premise that audiophiles seek faithful reproduction of the recording. That said, I'm not saying that sympathetic resonance/vibration is a bad thing.

The birch ply that I used definitely has more plies-more thinner plies equals better strength, and more implies more glue and better pressing in a high pressure press, so presumably less voids. If I recall correct, 16 mm had 9 plies. Our Indian made veneer peeling lathes are generally made to a price point, which means that their ability to peel thinner veneers is compromised.

>Is Birch plywood the one with many piles as compared to commercial ply?

Dear friends,

After following this thread, I have put the requirement of Birch Plywood 10 Sheets of 1"x8'x4' on the India Mart Portal just to check how would be the response. I have got the response from India mart about the available suppliers to my mobile number as under.

IndiaMART:Suppliers for Imported Birch Plywood

1. Eximcorp India Private Limited, Delhi
Aseem Kr. Bhat +918042968869
(Hope this is the same supplier who also have location in Chennai as informed by GeorgeO)

2. SVC Traders, Coimbatore
T. Suriya +918048584918

3. Konifer, Pune
Vikram +918046040839

4. Digital Wood Works, Bellary
Gururaj +918042969458

5. Triveni Agencies, Kochi
Saumya +918042538602

Click Sign-in | IndiaMart - Global Marketplace - Connecting Buyers with Suppliers to get more details-Indiamart-Enquiries

Out of them two suppliers were contacted back over phone.
1) The sales representative of Eximcorp India Pvt Ltd informed that they are having stock at their location of Delhi and Chennai. I requested them to send me the prices but still not got any reply.

2) The fellow from KONIFER PLY & VENEERS contacted and informed that they are having ready stock at their PUNE supply center and sent the contact details via sms: KONIFER PLY & VENEER, 82 Timber Market PUNE -411 002, Tel : (020) 26452451/26432715 cell: 9823202143 Email : [email protected]

KONIFER PLY & VENEERS have also forwarded me the broucher and price list to my mail ID.

I have placed the documents sent by them, in my personal web server. Members can view/download the documents from the following locations.

http://webpatha.com/LegnoBIRCHply.pdf
http://webpatha.com/LegnBIRCH010715.pdf

Further, the members can contact the above suppliers and enquire about the availability. Members near by the supply locations can verify the quality of the wood in person and ensure that the material is genuine. After, the group buy can be initiated from the best identified source.

I do not have any connections with the above suppliers and doesn't know the actual availability/prices or genuineness of them. I do have a plan to take up a DIY project for speaker cabinet build. I am just trying to share the information I got so it may help all the members of the forum and we can source from the best supplier.

Last edited:
HI friends,

Is it possible that, any FMs in and around PUNE can contact this fellow and check the quality of the Birch plywood available with them and prices?

Mr. Vikram. KONIFER PLY & VENEER, 82 Timber Market PUNE -411 002, Tel : (020) 26452451/26432715 cell: 9823202143

According to the price list given by this supplier, a full sheet(8'x 4') of 18mm will cost around 9K and 12 mm is 6.5K plus taxes.

If everything is OK, we can get few sheets collectively, cut it at local wood workshop in small sizes as per the individual needs for easy shipment, and distribute among us.

According to the price list given by this supplier, a full sheet(8'x 4') of 18mm will cost around 9K and 12 mm is 6.5K plus taxes.

9K for 18 mm sheet of 8' x 4' is super inflated. It's available in Mumbai for about Rs 150 per square feet, which works to around Rs 4800 for the 8' x 4' sheet. Another shop sells it for Rs 4500.

Bottom line: shop around. European and Russian birch plywood are available if you look hard enough.

Yes, As josh said Russian beech/ birch ply ( some calls steam ply too) is available in Mumbai. The price is @Rs 150/- per sq ft. Available in 48 sheet size. Available from 1.5 mm real (birch) veneer to 24 mm thickness plywood. Real birch wood also available in varies sizes.

Regds,
Shafic

Last edited:
Yes, As josh said Russian beech/ birch ply ( some calls steam ply too) is available in Mumbai. The price is @Rs 150/- per sq ft. Available in 48 sheet size. Available from 1.5 mm real (birch) veneer to 24 mm thickness plywood. Real birch wood also available in varies sizes.

Regds,
Shafic

Problem is no shop owner have ever heard about this word "Birch/beerch" in the area around navi mumbai where i am looking for this ply. I have already tried 6 shops in kharghar kamothe and in nerul. Steam is now another word as you mentioned. I am gonna try this one too.

Birch and steamed beech are similar but different. Beech is slightly harder.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back