Bird feeding

hope squirrels are not feeding on the bird feeders.

lol acrobatic rodent! We have a plethora of squirrels running up and down the trees. They cannot reach my bird feeders and are satiated feasting on the coconut flowers. We also have a few feral toms and one pussy chasing those squirrels. The crows are THE most annoying depositing rice in the water feeder. Pigeons have disappeared.

Feeders can be very harmful for the birds in general. Be very careful.

Here's something I wrote on this some time back - https://maini.live/2020/03/29/bird-photography-the-ethical-way/

(For Mods: I am not sure if inserting a link to own site is permitted or not. Please let me know if this is wrong).
I've read similar observations earlier. But all I recollect is we used to feeds all sort of birds in our angaan, just throw 3 to 5 handfuls or rice wheat etc on the foor. Right now ,I do not have those luxury , so, just a tray . I dont think this wold be harmful in any way. It lot handy moving around too when required.

lol acrobatic rodent! We have a plethora of squirrels running up and down the trees. They cannot reach my bird feeders and are satiated feasting on the coconut flowers. We also have a few feral toms and one pussy chasing those squirrels. The crows are THE most annoying depositing rice in the water feeder. Pigeons have disappeared.
at my place , both Pigeons and squirrels share from the same plate - each have their own time of visits! - squirrels visit daily,early morning and early evening, nipping out fresh leaves from rose plants or all the fresh seeds on all the other flowing plants. others wise ... I let them indulge ;) ...DSC09366.jpg

DSC094271.jpg

at my place , both Pigeons and squirrels share from the same plate - each have their own time of visits! - squirrels visit daily,early morning and early evening, nipping out fresh leaves from rose plants or all the fresh seeds on all the other flowing plants. others wise ... I let them indulge ;) ...View attachment 56907

View attachment 56908
Those squirrels look too cute! Fantastic pics.

With thousands of trees being cut in ever growing township, these animals are now a rare sight in towns. We have to go to suburbs or villages to find them.

With thousands of trees being cut in ever growing township, these animals are now a rare sight in towns. We have to go to suburbs or villages to find them.
Yes that's the sad truth, we don't compensate the loss of green cover by planting more trees elsewhere. I wonder who gave humans the right to decide for all the other creatures of the planet.
The current situation of roaming with masks reminds me of Hayao Miyazaki's animated films where humans have ravaged the planet and end up roaming with oxygen suits as the air is toxic by our acts. I guess that stage is also not too far in the future.
I salute Miyazaki for his foresight and the message in his films.

Last edited:
@Kannan @hydrovac
Ever since I've switched over to millets I'm ecstatic hearing the cute chirps of sparrows which have suddenly started appearing out of nowhere. What a pleasant sight to behold! The common tailorbird and mynahs also frequent my feeder. I'm hoping for a chance to grab a few pics without scaring them off.
1627449401534.jpg

@Kannan @hydrovac
Ever since I've switched over to millets I'm ecstatic hearing the cute chirps of sparrows which have suddenly started appearing out of nowhere. What a pleasant sight to behold! The common tailorbird and mynahs also frequent my feeder. I'm hoping for a chance to grab a few pics without scaring them off.
My experience has been that sparrows are very fussy and not just any millet will do for them. They LOVE the Foxtail millet though. I have experimented with trying to feed them many varieties of millet and for some reason not known to me they shun all types except the Foxtail millet.

I fill their feeding plate [which is on a ledge outside my kitchen] after I wake up in the mornings and if I'm late, the damn birds perch on my bedroom window grille [located on the opposite side of the building/kitchen] and keep chirping as if to scold me for the delay. If I go to the building office [3 floors above my residence], some of them perch outside that room's window and keep chirping as if asking me what the hell I am doing there. Intelligent creatures!!!!

Last edited:
My experience has been that sparrows are very fussy and not just any millet will do for them. They LOVE the Kodo millet though. I have experimented with trying to feed them many varieties of millet and for some reason not known to me they shun all types except the Kodo millet.
Interesting! Noted. Thanks for sharing. Luckily for me the foxtail millet (kangni) does the trick so far fingers xd. We've got to ensure that your sparrows don't interact with my sparrows otherwise word will get around. :p
I fill their feeding plate [which is on a ledge outside my kitchen] after I wake up in the mornings and if I'm late, the damn birds perch on my bedroom window grille [located on the opposite side of the building/kitchen] and keep chirping as if to scold me for the delay. If I go to the building office [3 floors above my residence], some perch outside that room's window and keep chirping as if asking me what I am doing there. Intelligent creatures!!!!
hahaha thanks for sharing these funny anecdotes. The sparrow is a very intelligent little bird!

I myself used the feeder as used by OP. Originally I thought it would help Sparrows, but Pigeons outnumber them hugely, and ultimately these Pigeons happily get all. However, one should be careful especially those feeding inside balconies or where Pigeons come either in close contact or where humans can breathe their excreta.

A campaign had started in Pune, a few years ago, advising people NOT to feed Pigeons. At least a couple of women are awaiting for Lung-Transplant for years, just because they fed them in close distances. I have installed Kabutar Jaali (mesh) to prevent them sitting on our windows. The feeder was hung around a meter away, just to keep us safe.

---------------
Human intervention has disrupted the lives of birds and especially Monkeys, at tourist places. At Khandala, monkeys used to munching chips, kurkure, peanuts ... so much, that their normal jumping and climbing is vanished. Many fell down from trees, injuring themselves badly because of weight gain and die a painful death.

Birds have forgotten their normal ability to feed on insects on trees, and arrive at our windows/balconies first thing in the morning asking for food. Earlier, they were happy eating bajra, jowar etc but now they are least interested. I see them asking for Roti. Even the Crow brought Roti and put it in the earthenware bowl to make it soft.

My efforts at helping squirrels and birds in the garden…
Crows, mynahs and a kingfisher come regularly to the fish pond (rainwater)
A squirrel mama has given birth to babies inside the bird house. I can hear them, yet to see them.

Attachments

• 5A1FF59B-D87A-475C-8D0F-84D8748B1FD8.jpeg
    5A1FF59B-D87A-475C-8D0F-84D8748B1FD8.jpeg
    455.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 909C299E-77D0-4DF5-9007-62558D916868.jpeg
    909C299E-77D0-4DF5-9007-62558D916868.jpeg
    482.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 002DE9AE-4F5A-4207-9A93-772A4C44BEC3.jpeg
    002DE9AE-4F5A-4207-9A93-772A4C44BEC3.jpeg
    264.9 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Any possibility of inside view?
Not a chance in hell with these extremely timid birds. It is plain hollow inside when I last tried to peep in. These nest boxes are made from recycled wood. I can't even catch them at the feeder. The moment they sense danger they fly away :(

My efforts at helping squirrels and birds in the garden…
Crows, mynahs and a kingfisher come regularly to the fish pond (rainwater)
A squirrel mama has given birth to babies inside the bird house. I can hear them, yet to see them.
Nice Dev!
The third photo took quite a bit of time for me to realize its rotated 180°, either clock wise or anti.
Now i have to figure out how to hang upside down myself...:)

Nice Dev!
The third photo took quite a bit of time for me to realize its rotated 180°, either clock wise or anti.
Now i have to figure out how to hang upside down myself...:)

I figured it out. If I hold the iPad in one position it shows the picture upside down. By the time I figured this out the crows had long gone and refuse to come back to pose. I will try to entice them with food maybe.

I've just got myself a sparrow nest box. Now eagerly awaiting mama and papa sparrow :D

View attachment 61288
Very nice. I have this sparrow couple that has been building a nest behind my AC's outdoor unit. They are very timid but the pigeon screen/net I put on my balconies seems to have helped them get some real estate. I have been meaning to get them a proper "home" but was unsure if any of the ones available on Amazon and elsewhere online actually work. I'll probably try this one (found their website).

For those who feed pigeons: I wonder why there's a disproportionate affection to pigeons. I see large amount of grain pulses thrown around at many places where only pigeons flock together and make merry. They're one of the messiest creatures on the planet. I landed at my friend's place which will be my home for sometime.
This is the sight outside my bedroom window:
IMG-20210828-WA0073.jpg
I'm waiting for these juveniles to take to their feathers to get the mess cleared and seal it with mesh:

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back