Bitstream from PC to Avr

Love4sound

Hi All

I connected my pc to the avr. I used the hdmi port from my nvidia graphics card. Zotac 1060 3gb variant. I used vlc media player and played Dolby Atmos and Dts-HD master content. But the audio signal sent to my denon 2400 is just pcm and multi channel. Can anyone guide me with the set up? Is it no possible to send loseless audio from pc to avr?

VLC does not support Atmos unless you are using the latest version 3.0.4
If you are using older version:
To bitstream you can try this setting
Tools -> Preferences - Audio -> Outputmodule-> Select Direct-X Audio output and you will see a checkbox Use SPDIF when available. Make sure it is checked. Now change output to automatic, save and exit preferences. VLC should now bitstream
If you are using 3.0.4
Tools -> Preferences - Audio ->HDMI/SPDIF audio pass through - select 'Enabled', save and exit preferences.
Other options would be to use MPC-HC or Potplayer. I found MPC-HC to be better for bitstreaming.

Last edited:
VLC does not support Atmos unless you are using the latest version 3.0. To bitstream you can try this setting
Tools -> Preferences - Audio -> Outputmodule-> Select Direct-X Audio output and you will see a checkbox Use SPDIF when available. Make sure it is checked. Now change output to automatic, save and exit. VLC should now bitstream

Other options would be to use MPC-HC or Potplayer. I found MPC-HC to be better for bitstreaming.
Thanks for clearing this up. I have no issues in playing DTS-HD master and dolby true-HD from my bluray player. I am looking for playing dolby atmos content through pc. What will be the best solution?. My blue ray player does play dolby atmos content but my issue is when i download atmos content it doesn't play and hence i am trying to use my PC

You have clarified that you have no issues playing HD Audio. So VLC 3.0.4 is the best - simplest, most convenient and light on system resources. Once you get the settings done it should work well. Stick to it!
I find no issues playing atmos with VLC. A laptop is my default media player and I play all kind of media from it and it is convenient to control with a wireless keyboard and mouse!

BTW read my previous post again, I added the bitstream setting for the latest version.

You have clarified that you have no issues playing HD Audio. So VLC 3.0.4 is the best - simplest, most convenient and light on system resources. Once you get the settings done it should work well. Stick to it!
I find no issues playing atmos with VLC. A laptop is my default media player and I play all kind of media from it and it is convenient to control with a wireless keyboard and mouse!
No issues from my blu ray player. Only challenge i have now is Atmos which i download. The blu ray player doesn't play them. So i am trying to bitstream from PC. I will attempt one more time with your suggestions and come back if any issues

So i am trying to bitstream from PC.

Kodi is very straight forward.. Once you have installed the app, enable expert settings, and select audio passthrough under audio sub section.. Also select "WASAPI : your AVR model" under audio.. You should be able to see Atmos on AVR display..

Kodi and vlc did not work for me but MPC HC worked like a charm. I now get Dolby Atmos. How ever the depth in the Audio isn’t as good as a Blu Ray player.Thanks all

Back