Biwiring paradigm monitor 9s

sunster

Hi all

Situation is that my new paradigm monitor 9s have a power rating of 150w RMS at 8 ohms. It's powered by a Marantz NR1501 which delivers just 50w p/ch @ 8ohms. Would biwiring my paradigms reduce load on the amp as the frequencies would get divided. Upgrading my amp at this moment is not possible (was thinking about marantz sr6004). Help needed !!

Sunny

biwiring will not increase output from your amp to your speakers. it just gives you a cleaner sound. another tip for cleaner sound is to do away with the brass connectors at the rear of your speakers and connect them with speaker wire. makes a LOT of difference

Another option I was pondering on was to add another NR1501 av receiver and bi amp the system. That wud also work out cheaper than upgrading to the Marantz SR6004. Would 70w from each identical amp biamped and fed to the speakers make a big difference? Also I don't know if the Marantz NR1501 can be biamped. Any help??

Sunny

im not sure if youre marantz can be bi amped or not. it needs to have a pre out. bi amping will definitely give it the power but as for the quality of music its up to you to decide. power is not everything. are you finding your current setup lacking for power right now

Truth is I don't know as my home is under renovation and the spks are still in their boxes. I get a feeling that maybe 50w p/ch may be a bit less for the spks. And no. The marantz nr1501 has only sub out. No pre out

Based on the specifications the amp will be underpowered when you start increasing the volume. For normal listening they should be fine. But give them a listen and then decide

The only way then is to upgrade to a more powerful amp. I need to go the Marantz way only as Denon or Onkyo would be a downgrade in terms of sound. I primarily listen to music (stereo and 5.1 Stereo) and very little movies. Any suggestions for an upgrade to a better amp but keeping a nominal budget (about 50k)

Thx
Sunny

do you have a stereo setup or a surround sound. paradigm and nad are sister concerns and pair very well

The only way then is to upgrade to a more powerful amp. I need to go the Marantz way only as Denon or Onkyo would be a downgrade in terms of sound. I primarily listen to music (stereo and 5.1 Stereo) and very little movies. Any suggestions for an upgrade to a better amp but keeping a nominal budget (about 50k)

Thx
Sunny

sunster how much did 1501 cost?

sunsten -

amp should be capable of generating more power than the speakers need and not the other way round ......speakers will take what they require from the amp .........you will be taking a big risk by connecting a 50W amp to a 150 w speaker (since u cant bi-amp) ........do not crank up the volume .... tweeters will be the first casualty .....

first get a good amp .....or replace the speakers ....otherwise u may end up with damaged speakers

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back