Blacberry PlayBook special offer

miroflex

Hi all,

I came to know today that Blackberry has come out with a very special price offer on its PlayBook tablet. An excerpt on this:

BlackBerry has been selling the PlayBook tablet devices for the discounted price of $199 for quite some time now in North American markets though the same in India continued with the rather high Rs. 27,000 price tag. However, if that has been holding you from buying the otherwise superb tablet device, well your time starts now. For the PlayBook has just been given a heavy price cut to the tune of Rs. 12,500 so its just Rs. 13,490 that can fetch you a brand new PlayBook. Also, thats the price for the base 16 GB version of the tablet while its 32 and 64 GB versions will set one back Rs.15,990 and Rs.24,490 respectively. Also, as it is with all good things, there is a rider attached in that the offer is valid till just the end of this year. So you have time till 31st Dec to go for the BlackBerry PlayBook at a price thats normally reserved for budget tablets in India. The same even a day ago had been selling for Rs. 27,990, Rs 32,990 and Rs 37,990 for the 16 GB, 32 GB and 64 GB versions. From 2012, these prices will come into effect once again which means less than 72 hours to go for the PlayBook.

Is this a good deal?

Regards.

Looks like a good deal from a price point of view...however does buying a playbook makes sense at all is a different question altogether...

Not a good deal
Are there any apps?
Also you need another Blackberry device right?
And checking at declining sale of BB - i think still priced high for that Flop tablet

Well...sorry for my confusing rhetoric...what I meant was that the tablet in itself is not worth it though the discount seems good :)

has anyone tried android/ linux setup on this tablet?
By itself it looks pretty useless due to OS/ app limitation. Should you waste 13k?

No android ,BB OS is a Threadx port....... may be some third party port of android possible! but 13k ...can be better used ,
Eg. CUBE U9GT2 Tab, this chino slate is awesome

It's got 2mp front camera but skype app not available, so what's the use? Only prop bb video calling... Useless device.

We had the playbook to test a while ago and frankly it isn't worth it even at this price. The lack of good apps is the biggest problem, even though the tablet may be superior technically to most other tabs in the price range. It is the apps that make a tablet useful, which the BB Operating system and market just cant provide. You're better off buying an Android-powered tablet, and there are a few options in the same price range.

Additionally, we also found out (not confirmed to be true though) that the playbook has been terrible for Blackberry's profits the world over, and the company has made a 600 million dollar loss only on unsold stock of the Playbook. The reason for the price slash is a desperate attempt to offload stock, and rest assured the price cut will remain even after this month gets over. My recommendation is to go for the ViewSonic Viewpad 7 or the Lenovo A1

is there going to be some icecream sandwitch toffee biscuit for bb too? I mean another update from BB and the device becomes all powerful?
Who would like to bet 13k on this?

It will anyway depreciate in value quickly even from here. Either RIM survives and Playbook 2 comes out with standalone capabilities (not tethered through BT to the BBerry) or RIM itself does not survive. Depreciates in both cases.

my bb phone is on AT&T worldwide unlimited data plan, so the tethering and thereby worldwide unlimited free internet access on playbook (no second data bill for PB)
make it quite useful to me. Got this one during the recent fire sale in us(200$ for 16gb and 300,400$ for 32a nd 64gb versions).

Hey just read some article in eco times which says taht the OS2.0 version would have an android emulator that should enable to run most of the android apps on the playbook...now that should change opinions a bit...

Hey just read some article in eco times which says taht the OS2.0 version would have an android emulator that should enable to run most of the android apps on the playbook...now that should change opinions a bit...

There is difference betweed "should" and "Can" and "confirmed!"
:rolleyes::rolleyes:

i ventured out to buy/check out the BB playbook yesterday after reading the price reduction. Checked a few reviews on the way. Haven't seen much appreciation for this device and after looking at the specs thought not worth it @ INR 15800/- for 32GB ver.

The sales guy suggested Samsung Galaxy Tab 7" Wifi only version (GT-P1010), with the free keyboard dock scheme (worth MRP INR 3495/-). Running 2.2 Froyo and decent responsive capacitive screen. Found the deal much better than the BB PB offer. All for INR 15990/- with 1 year warranty on the device and keyboard dock.! Have a BB and iPhone already, so was waiting to board the android wagon...so.

Back