Blocking of file sharing sites

You could try Opera in turbo mode instead of anonymous proxy sites. Only problem is that speed will be very slow on broadband connection.

You could try Opera in turbo mode instead of anonymous proxy sites. Only problem is that speed will be very slow on broadband connection.

I downloaded the Opera browser and enabled the Turbo mode to automatic but still the sites are blocked. I am on Airtel provider so not sure whether this works.

Thanks

You need to turn on the turbo mode. Turbo mode is actually for slower connections, if your connection is not slow then turbo mode is off if automatic is selected.

Why Vimeo?

I thought it was rather a serious site for video/film makers, rather than a site for the thing we shouldn't discuss.

Why Vimeo?

I thought it was rather a serious site for video/film makers, rather than a site for the thing we shouldn't discuss.

Yes, looks like our government is preparing for a billion dollar law suit and the "kolaveri" movie crew are the ones who created the stir, from what I've read. If Vimeo were to be blocked, YouTube should have been on the list.

YouTube has a good legal team and they have made their policies and copyright mechanism really smarter.

cudnt make out on this ??

For example, if video is blocked on your connection.

Open command prompts (stat->run->cmd in XP) and run this command:

nslookup vimeo.com

This would tell us if DNS is used for blocking. IF this is the case there is a very straight forward way to disable blocking once and for all.

Guys,

In the case of these blocked websites just do this simple work around.

Open command prompt->ping (name of the Site) -> note down the IP address(12.X.x.x) --> copy/type that address in your browser and hit enter. It should open the site
only catch is that if site is re-directed or hosted on port it won't work.

Reason for opening of site - ISP have blocked the name of the site and not the IP on which these are hosted...

:)

Sid

Last edited:

nslookup vimeo.com

This would tell us if DNS is used for blocking. IF this is the case there is a very straight forward way to disable blocking once and for all.

I think not. I use my own DNS caching server. Many others use DNS servers other than those provided by the ISP. People love to change their DNS because they (usually wrongly) think it speeds up their connection.

It seems that Airtel (in my case) are just blocking the relevant IP addresses.

As to why Vimeo and why not YouTube: maybe Relliance is not prepaared to take on the YouTube/Google monster :rolleyes:

nslookup vimeo.com

doesnt work

the screen which opens with this command disappears with in seconds unable to read further

Experience is with Airtel broadband.
guys just add https:// before the address
doubt its that simple

Much to my surprise, it looks as if it is that simple! :clapping:

EDIT: No it isn't. The site loads but the videos don't seem to play :sad:

Don't rely on it working for long, though.

Yesterday, vimeo.com was blocked, but player.vimeo.com (different ip address) was not; today it is. They will find these holes and block them one by one. Whilst I'm sure that a company of Airtel's size must have all the networking expertise, I'm not so sure that they will use it. If they had asked the right employee, they probably could have had everything blocked on the first day.

Last edited:
Yesterday, vimeo.com was blocked, but player.vimeo.com (different ip address) was not; today it is. They will find these holes and block them one by one. Whilst I'm sure that a company of Airtel's size must have all the networking expertise, I'm not so sure that they will use it. If they had asked the right employee, they probably could have had everything blocked on the first day.[/QUOTE]

There motto will be to track the ips which have a lot of traffic ergo lots of transfer & will put a check on it... so you guys should be sparring on using the loopholes ..

doesnt work

the screen which opens with this command disappears with in seconds unable to read further

Just type nslookup at command prompt and then hit return.
A black dialog box will open with >
now type whatever url and it will respond with details and go back to >

to close this type EXIT now...

$ nslookup vimeo.com
Server: 127.0.0.1
Address: 127.0.0.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: vimeo.com
Address: 74.113.233.128

$
It does not, to me, appear to say anything useful in this circumstance. It resolves the IP and tells you how it resolved it.
$ nslookup 74.113.233.128
Server: 127.0.0.1
Address: 127.0.0.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
128.233.113.74.in-addr.arpa name = vimeo.com.

Authoritative answers can be found from:
233.113.74.in-addr.arpa nameserver = ns4.iaccap.com.
233.113.74.in-addr.arpa nameserver = ns1.iaccap.com.
233.113.74.in-addr.arpa nameserver = ns2.iaccap.com.

$

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back